Death Stranding - PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Stranding - PS4

Played a few hours last night and I am fully enraptured by it.

First off, it looks insane. Amazing character, equipment and world models and stunning details with the tech art. The hairs on their arms stand on end, liquid runs off surfaces, plants grow and wither and just so many details. My jaw was hanging open at some of the stuff they do.

The first several hours are full of cutscenes. This is MGS3 Kojima, not MGS5. The cutscenes are a bit more focused than MGS4 but I hear there are some lengthy ones in there.

Once you're out doing stuff it is a lot of walking and climbing but it's really compelling. Finding the best path up a mountain, placing equipment to help you climb, shifting your weight to maintain balance and picking your way across the terrain is very engaging. I haven't got to combat yet but I'm looking forward to managing my cargo while clearing out encampments.

I was surprised at how connected it is since I haven't been following it so as to keep it somethign to discover. You can leave cargo for other players to deliver and vice versa. You can build structures in the world and I believe other people see them in their game so there's a real sense of a community coming together to solve the world. A bit like the early days of a Souls game.

The only negative at the moment is how wild the menus are. There's so much going on, so many options and so many stats that the menus are really confusing.

I stopped playing last night and it's all I've thought about since. Can't wait to get back to it.

Thanks. Im going out to pick this up now. I'm apprehensive, but you can't help but feel intrigued. The cutscenes will probably have me snoozing as I usually have no idea what a Kojima game is going on about. Gonna take a punt though.

Comment

Cheers for sharing your thoughts [MENTION=3985]chopemon[/MENTION] ... I'm going to take a punt too.

Comment

It's such a weird game for something that is so high profile and had so much money spent on it that it's definitely worth a look. Games of this scale aren't like this anymore and it's a really unique vision of what a big game can be. It is a slow burn at the start but it's fascinating.

Comment

I've just spent around 4 hours on this and I absolutely love it. Echo all the words in the first post ... feeling exactly the same.

Bear in mind I'm generally impatient with cutscenes but I don't even think about them here. Everything is seamless and one experience. Never played anything quite like it.

Comment

After 4 or so hours I can’t decide if it’s the best game this year or the worst it’s so weird and most of those 4 hours were made up of 30
            minutes of postman pat gameplay deliver this please it’s a strange one that’s for sure . I eager to see more but if it’s more of the same tomorrow I may not return

Comment

I’ve enjoyed first few hours. Quite invested in the world. Lower production values than mgs5 but higher than everyone else apart from naughty dog. Music fab too.
              Game engine not as good as fox engine I’d say but still looks amazing.

Can’t wait to get back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                I’ve enjoyed first few hours. Quite invested in the world. Lower production values than mgs5 but higher than everyone else apart from naughty dog. Music fab too.
                Game engine not as good as fox engine I’d say but still looks amazing.

Can’t wait to get back in.
                Its using Guerrillas engine from Horizon.

Comment

Yeah I know. Shame he couldn’t take fox engine with him but this engine is also excellent. Just not quite as good as fox, which I imagine was written with mgs5 in mind of course and I reckon that would translate over to DS really well.

Comment

The detail in the grassy rocky terrain is just bonkers.

I'm very early on in the game and the only thing that's making me wonder is how safe am I when BTs are nearby. I Crouch and I hold my breath, but I'm not sure if it's ok to move at full analog stick tilt whilst crouching. It seems okay so far, but I guess it's not going to be so clear cut or it would be too easy to go unnoticed? I dunno.

Comment

I think the whole thing is a bit of a voyage of discovery. One thing I'm wondering, and not to do with the game, is: does it reconnect to the network if just pausing game and putting PS4 into rest mode? To be safe I returned to title screen this morning and started it up again.

Comment

I think I was having issues after booting from Sleep Mode yesterday where cutscenes were pausing/stuttering and audio was dropping out. Not sure if it was the Sleep that caused it, I need to try it from a fresh boot up at some point. When parenthood allows! Lol

Comment

Anyone get the crazy pad with the baby trapped inside?!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Anyone get the crazy pad with the baby trapped inside?!

That's the coolest pad I've ever seen. It had my 5 yo daughter in stitches.

Comment

Was that like a random pack in with the LE Pro?

It's class.

Comment

Working...
                              X