Death Stranding - PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely loving this!!
    Saying it’s a delivery simulator is as reductive as calling mgs Pac-Man.

Bat**** insane story as you might expect.
    Excellent performances from the actors.
    The fun of planning your best route, the fear of BTs, looking after BB. Love it all.

Comment

Interesting 25 minute piece just seen on the BBC News channel embedded in this page;

We speak to Hideo Kojima for a world exclusive documentary on the maverick game designer.

Comment

I went into this one still not really knowing what the game was. I think that's probably the best way, as it's really rather original.

Visually it's pretty much on a different level to everything except RDR 2. The level of detail in the environments is just insane, and quite how they've hidden the LODs on all of those rocks is surely worthy of a GDC talk. Great lighting too, albeit in a very subdued sort of way, and the character models are superbly detailed. The whole thing is essentially a giant photogrammetry showcase too.

I'm 6 hours in so far and it's holding my attention, although I do find the BT encounters pretty annoying. Once the big boss BT is triggered it's pretty much game over as your cargo will be toast even if you escape, and the encounters go on for too long. I kind of suspect my attention will wane after a while if the game can't inject some variety, as it's at its core a really simple concept.

Amazing really that something like this was funded. Kojima's name really is worth something it seems. Hopefully that will translate into sales, as it must have cost a fortune and the reviews have been all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
          although I do find the BT encounters pretty annoying. Once the big boss BT is triggered it's pretty much game over as your cargo will be toast even if you escape, and the encounters go on for too long. I kind of suspect my attention will wane after a while if the game can't inject some variety, as it's at its core a really simple concept.
          Yeah, wading through goo trying to battle the BT bosses is no fun. At this stage of the game anyway. I hope that gets easier to deal with somehow. I think at this stage some of the longevity might come from a Souls style progression it that every gadget and upgrade tips the odds that little bit more in your favour.

Comment

I'm hoping we get some tools to deal with BT's in a more Rambo fashion lol.

Comment

Haven't ha da chance to use my "Number 2" grenade yet :-)
              Got a motorbike last night :-)

I've found that, so far, just running as fast as possible is a viable option for BT encounters. I expect that will not work forever mind.

Comment

Got to say, the BT encounters are starting to do my head in a bit. I've found I have to stop and handle each situation ... any time I try to ride through the threat I run directly into one and end up getting dragged into hell.

Comment

Anyone pissed on a squid yet?

Comment

haha no, but my piss leaves toadstools behind... am I okay?

Comment

The BT encounters in the first few hours nearly made me turn it off forever. Further in though you get a lot more options on how to deal with them/avoid them. Like most of Kojima's games, once you know how the AI works you can run rings round them.

The thing I am enjoying most is the community building aspect. Helping people finish their structures and building
                      for people to use is really enjoyable. Great example of integrating the story themes into the gameplay.

Comment

Yeah I'm still loving it. Running away still works.
                        I put my own

turd grenade

into shared storage last night. Hoping for some great reward when someone uses it

Love riding around on the trike. Route planning has never been so much fun.
                        Last edited by Brad; 12-11-2019, 15:55.

Comment

So I’ve plopped about 35 hours into this and just hit chapter 5 (chapter 4 was laughably short) needless to say I’m totally loving it.

I sometimes feel although when I hit a BT area I let out a sigh and say not those ****ers again, getting in the way of my parcel delivery service. Although I’ve now had enough encounters I feel I’m better equipped to deal with the stealth aspect of those, for instance I had no idea if you stood still and looked in direction BB is pointing it shows a BT without having to ping, so it’s just about taking your time, hold your breath when it turns yellow and go in different directions.

I can totally understand why people have been divided about the game, it’s either something your going to love or hate, planning out a legitimate route, dealing with the weather, paths ahead and possible enemies on the way or your just going to think that aspect could be boring and not enjoy it, I do think it’s totally worth giving it a shot with a clear mind though rather than just writing it off as boring without actually playing it.

Some parts of the game have a strong feeling of isolation and the accompanied music really does set that feeling in, there are two moments already that completely stand out for me.

Chapter 1 and 2 scene spoilers.

Travelling with the body to the incinerator, music track starts up and the camera pulls back to show your journey ahead, such a great shot. When you first see Port Knot City in the distance and again the music pipes up. They both really do set the scenes up perfectly.

So yeah for me went in knowing Kojima gonna Kojim but wasn’t expecting to be dragged into this apocalyptic delivery man world quite so much.
                          Last edited by Family Fry; 14-11-2019, 13:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                            I’ve plopped about 35 hours
                            Brightened my Thursday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                              So I’ve plopped about 35 hours into this and just hit chapter 5 (chapter 4 was laughably short) needless to say I’m totally loving it.

I sometimes feel although when I hit a BT area I let out a sigh and say not those ****ers again, getting in the way of my parcel delivery service. Although I’ve now had enough encounters I feel I’m better equipped to deal with the stealth aspect of those, for instance I had no idea if you stood still and looked in direction BB is pointing it shows a BT without having to ping, so it’s just about taking your time, hold your breath when it turns yellow and go in different directions.

I can totally understand why people have been divided about the game, it’s either something your going to love or hate, planning out a legitimate route, dealing with the weather, paths ahead and possible enemies on the way or your just going to think that aspect could be boring and not enjoy it, I do think it’s totally worth giving it a shot with a clear mind though rather than just writing it off as boring without actually playing it.

Some parts of the game have a strong feeling of isolation and the accompanied music really does set that feeling in, there are two moments already that completely stand out for me.

Chapter 1 and 2 scenes spoilers.

Travelling with the body to the incinerator, music track starts up and the camera pulls back to show your journey ahead, such a great shot. When you first see Port Knot City in the distance and again the music pipes up, really does set that scene perfectly.

So yeah for me went in knowing Kojima gonna Kojim but wasn’t expecting to be dragged into this apocalyptic delivery man world quite so much.
                              It's fabulous isn't it? I'm still n CH2 and got pulled into what I guess was a boss battle last night. Wasn't really sure what to do but that made it a superb encounter; total panic! Anyway, I lost all my cargo and that made me realise that there is a game over scenario in the game. Can't wait to have another stab at it. I'd S-Ranked every delivery bar 1 up to that point (which I suspect isn't an unusual achievement).

Comment

I'm back on the lonesome trail today. Change of tactics. I abandoned my motorbike up in the mountains and tippy-toed through the BT's, offing the occasional one with a blood grenade.

Something I love about this game is any sense of achievement is gained with authenticity. Having got through the rain and hardships my destination appearing off in the distance, along with a song kicking in ... it makes you feel great

Comment

Working...
                                X