Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1979

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1979

This year Thatcher arrives alongside the Walkman and the 70's come to an end with these movie releases

Vote for the best movies of 1979 and share your opinions of the year in film
    The First Great Train Robbery
    0%
    The Warriors
    0%
    Norma Rae
    0%
    Starcrash
    0%
    Hair
    0%
    Tourist Trap
    0%
    The China Syndrome
    0%
    Phantasm
    0%
    A Perfect Couple
    0%
    Love at First Bite
    0%
    Manhattan
    0%
    Dreamer
    0%
    Winds of Change
    0%
    Zulu Dawn
    0%
    Winter Kills
    0%
    Beyond the Poseidon Adventure
    0%
    Over the Edge
    0%
    Alien
    0%
    The Prisoner of Zenda
    0%
    Wanda Nevada
    0%
    Escape to Athena
    0%
    The In-Laws
    0%
    Prophecy
    0%
    Rocky II
    0%
    The Water Babies
    0%
    Escape From Alcatraz
    0%
    The Main Event
    0%
    The Muppet Movie
    0%
    Bloodline
    0%
    Meatballs
    0%
    Moonraker
    0%
    Up From the Depths
    0%
    Dracula
    0%
    The Amytiville Horror
    0%
    The Villain
    0%
    The Concorde: Airport '79
    0%
    More American Graffiti
    0%
    Apocalypse Now
    0%
    Monty Python's Life of Brian
    0%
    Rock n Roll High School
    0%
    City on Fire
    0%
    Patrick
    0%
    Love and Bullets
    0%
    Yanks
    0%
    A Man, A Woman and a Bank
    0%
    Time After Time
    0%
    Skatetown USA
    0%
    0%
    The Black Stallion
    0%
    Meteor
    0%
    When a Stranger Calls
    0%
    The Rose
    0%
    Mountain Family Robinson
    0%
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    0%
    0%
    The Jerk
    0%
    Being There
    0%
    All That Jazz
    0%
    The Black Hole
    0%
    Cuba
    0%

This is another year that shows the upward bell curve of well known properties following Star Wars. A surprising number of well known films on the list and though the aesthetic similarity between mid-Dwarf and Alien might be a bit distracting these days that film is probably my choice followed closely by Rocky II which perfectly accompanies the original.

Comment

I'll have a think.

While you're waiting, here's "Can U Dig It" by Pop Will Eat Itself, which features samples of The Warriors.

"RIFFS! YEAH! Can U dig it?!"

Comment

Last day of voting before we wrap up the 70's completely.

Comment

Alien and Apocalypse Now...what to say about those that hasn’t been said? They’re terrific, though.

The China Syndrome is a really nice offbeat choice. It’s a thriller in which a corrupt power company is putting San Francisco in danger by running a nuclear power plant unsafely. Journalist Jane Fonda sets out to expose them. More interesting than it sounds and a really underrated film.

Comment

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Apocalypse Now and Phantasm are all worth seeing, but aren't my faves.

The Warriors
            I heard the PWEI song with samples before I saw the film, but loved it when I saw it.
            Such a strange concept, but you still cheer for this gang wrongly singled out for retribution. They're not heroes - they tag everywhere and threaten to "pull a train" on Mercy, but you still want them to make it to the safety of Coney Island.
            Such a tense vibe in the dark streets of New York.
            This is one of the few films that doesn't benefit from the Director's Cut, which adds comicstrip editing.
            All these years later, and it's still getting referenced in popular culture.

Alien

Alien has stood the test of time by ditching the "futuristic" look of some sci-fi films and embraced the truckers in space aesthetic. Some of the computers look anachronistic, but the majority of the design is still amazing.
            I was surprised, whilst recently watching the Blu-Ray, how great it still looks.
            As the crew start to realise how deadly the creature it, that sense of dread descends.
            Can't believe we have such poor films at the end of this series.

Escape From Alcatraz
            Eastwood Vs. McGoohan in this tense prison drama. Great soundtrack and Alcatraz is really creepy.

Moonraker
            I feel obliged to like all the Bonds now! I rewatched this fairly recently and couldn't get over how poor it was. The double-take pigeon at the gondola hovercraft was definitely the shark jump moment for me.
            The funny thing is, as a kid, I loved it and probably saw it one Boxing Day. Jaws returns - and finds love! Hugo Drax is pretty badass as a merciless big bad. The scene where he sets his dogs in slo-mo on a lover who betrayed him with Bond has stuck with me. That opening jump from the plane is still brilliant.
            Bonus fact! Spielberg let them use the "Close Encouters" notes in exchange for permission to use the Bond theme in The Goonies.

The Black Hole

This film never seems to get much love, derided as a Star Wars rip-off, but I think I prefer it in many ways. It's quite dark in its themes and revelations as they discover what happened to the crew, especially in a Disney Film. V.I.N.CENT and B.O.B. are great robot characters, that I cared more for as a kid than R2 and Threepio.
            It's got a fantastic score by John Barry that is sweeping and dramatic, but slightly eerie.
            It looks amazing too with convincing spaceship effects and gorgeous matte painting backgrounds.

Comment

The Black Hole is way better than any star wars film.

Comment

You guys are kidding yourself about The Black Hole.

But what a year for movies. Alien is top of the bunch. I think it's one of the best films ever made and it still is after all these years. It's an incredible piece of filmmaking in every way.

And lots more there to love too. I adore The Warriors. Phantasm is great fun. Amityville, The Muppet Movie. And Star Trek The Motion Picture, as plodding as it is, is still the best looking Star Trek film by far.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Apocalypse Now and Phantasm are all worth seeing, but aren't my faves..
                  The horror.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    The horror.
                    It's just 3 hours of looking at ceiling fans, floating downstream and cutting cows in half, isn't it?

Nah, I can see why it's so revered, but it's not one that enthralled me.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      It's just 3 hours of looking at ceiling fans, floating downstream and cutting cows in half, isn't it?

Nah, I can see why it's so revered, but it's not one that enthralled me.
                      Yeah, Star Trek the Motion Picture took a weird turn.

Comment

Working...
                      X