No announcement yet.

Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember been off school sick, maybe around 8 years old, and my Dad hired out Mad Max for me to watch, and a really bad spoof sci fi film with hawk eye from mash in it

Comment

I vaguely remember watching Raise the Titanic and almost nothing happening in it until the very end, would be an interesting one to revisit.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Surprised to see no votes for Caligula. Now that we exist in an era where its erotic content can be viewed in context without most people being prudish or just laughing at it, I think it's a good, but harrowing epic.
        "Hey Blobcat! Wanna see a Roman drama featuring Malcolm McDowell?"

Comment

First time I saw Caligula I didn't know what to make of it, such a bizarre film. Weirded me out in later years to discover Helen Mirren is in the kinky scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            "Hey Blobcat! Wanna see a Roman drama featuring Malcolm McDowell?"
            Funny, but we actually did watch it together years ago, and we both liked it, flawed though it is.

Probably worth putting that in context, though. We loved the experience of watching it, irrespective of whether you could call it a good film. I'd heard for years about the controversies that had surrounded it, so it was a fascinating watch; given some of the scenes which still draw a wince even in the modern day, I'm not surprised it horrified people. That being said, those aspects seemed honest, like given the things you read about the creative ways in which the Romans punished people and some of the excesses their emperors enjoyed...

To give a relevant example, a few years ago, I remember seeing the intro sequence to Warhammer: Dawn of War. (this is going somewhere, I promise). In the intro scene, there's a moment where a Space Marine runs through an Ork with a chainsword, and obviously, it's horrific. It's like plunging a chainsaw into someone's chest. In that moment, I reflected on surprisingly violent it looked, before reminding myself that I first saw a chainsword on a mini in the mid-90s, so what did I think such a weapon was for?!

Similarly, for years, I'd read about those aspects of Roman society (which, given, have altogether too much prominence when people talk about Rome, but that's a debate for another thread), but I hadn't really reflected on that. So Caligula made me think about that, which I guess is an achievement.

That being said, there were definitely some scenes which were gratuitous for the sake of it. The majority of the sex scenes weren't necessary but they occupied a space in the plot. There's a lesbian scene at one point in my cut which was just kinda "stuck there", serving no purpose whatsoever. That's indefensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              (this is going somewhere, I promise).
              That made me

You're a better man than me. I find sex scenes in mainstream films awkward anyway, but my wife and I have a joke where, when things get frisky on-screen, I turn away from the screen and to her and make small talk "So! How aRe yOu TodAY?"

Comment

You're a better man than me. I find sex scenes in mainstream films awkward anyway, but my wife and I have a joke where, when things get frisky on-screen, I turn away from the screen and to her and make small talk "So! How aRe yOu TodAY?"
                I grew up in a medical family, so nothing like that really bothers me.

There'a a thread though; movie sex scenes, best/worst. We can start with the one in Enemy at the Gates.

Comment

Watchmen.

*shudder*

Comment

Watchmen.

*shudder*
                    I seem to remember we actually kinda liked that one.

Comment

I can't keep up!
                      I voted for:

The Fog
                      Mad Max
                      Friday the 13th
                      Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
                      The Shining
                      Galaxina
                      The Blues Brothers
                      Herbie Goes Bananas
                      Airplane!
                      Caddyshack
                      Smokey and the Bandit II
                      Superman II
                      Private Benjamin
                      Flash Gordon

Really tough choices, boils down to The Shinning or Airplane!, but I'm saying Airplane! is my fave as it still makes me laugh to this day.

Trying to convince a young person at work to watch Airplane/Top Secret/Naked Gun but they just looked unconvinced. Buffoon.

Comment

Really tough choices, boils down to The Shinning or Airplane!, but I'm saying Airplane! is my fave as it still makes me laugh to this day.
                        Yeah, the jokes in The Shining don't quite hold up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          Yeah, the jokes in The Shining don't quite hold up as well.
                          He's not really Johnny at all! He's Jack!

Comment

He's not really Johnny at all! He's Jack!
                            I think they fixed this in the special edition. "Hello, I'm Stanley Kubrick. Now you might be wondering why the character changed his name for this scene. Allow me to explain..."

Comment

"The Overlook Hotel will be empty over the winter."

Walks into dance hall

"We were here all along! Tee hee!

Comment

"Oh, look a beautiful lady! Glad it wasn't some old lady. The last thing I'd ever do is get it on with some old lady!"

Cut to getting it on with old lady *WAH-WAHHHHH*

Comment

Working...
                                X