Retro|Spective 113: Rayman

History in Games:
    1995 - Rayman
    1999 - Rayman 2: The Great Escape
    2003 - Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
    2011 - Rayman Origins
    2003 - Rayman Legends

Overview:
    The core Rayman franchise is one of likely only a few to make the transition from 2D to 3D, be well received then transition back to 2D and probably receive an even better reception - Sonic presumably being the next closest for that. The original game was fortunate enough to arrive just before Super Mario 64 blew the platforming genre wide open and Ubisoft quickly moved to 3D to cater to the wave it created. The sequel is still held in high regard with the third game receiving a more muted response if still solid. It's the Ubiart powered fourth entry that revived the classic charms of the series, expanding the moveset to make speed runners happy with the fifth game, Legends largely absorbing its predecessor entirely. Rayman has lain dormant for several years now in terms of a true sequel but the past shows that in either form he may well turn up and surprise yet again.

Share your memories and thoughts of the Rayman series

Fun fact; Rayman was the UK's best-selling PS1 game. More than Metal Gear, more than FFVII, more than any FIFA. That's kinda mind-boggling really.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      That's kinda mind-boggling really.
      Yeah, a very strange anomaly. The PlayStation, in general, was all about showing off the power of 32-bit 3D. Despite that, a game that looked very much like a 2D SNES game managed to be a huge hit.

I remember thinking the graphics and overall design were really nice. Although, I found later levels quite generic and I ended up bored with it.

My favourite Rayman game is 'Rayman Arena' on the Xbox.

Comment

Rayman Legends is a wonderful game. Controls are perfection. Good mix of speed and cunning.

Comment

The only two that have really made an impression on me were Rayman 2 and Rayman Legends, both are strong games (Legends more so). Probably in the upper shadow of Nintendo's efforts at the least.

Comment

I remember getting Rayman on PC for my birthday in what must have been '96, and being wowed by the graphics. Up till that point most of the games I'd played had been DOS titles (Commander Keen was a favourite). Rayman's lush opening levels looked pretty incredible to me at the time, and the funky character with his floating feet and hands appealed too.

Unfortunately the game was WAY too hard! I think you go to a world based around musical instruments, then one based around sweets and cake. I never got past the cake-based one. It was rock solid. I could see in the manual there were many more levels leading up to the mysterious 'Mr Dark's Chateau', but I never made it anywhere near.

For some reason I then never played Rayman 2, or 3. They completely passed me by. I have no idea why.

I got back into the series with Rayman Origins on Vita, then played Legends on PS3. Both terrific games, a really great reboot that managed to set itself apart from other 2D platformers both visually and in terms of how it handled. Smooth, fast gameplay that was just enormously addictive. I think I did pretty much everything on those, got most of the Lums or what have you and unlocked all the art.

It's a cool series, Rayman. I think one of the nice things about it, and the thing I think about a lot of Ancel's games, is that it feels very gallic. We have a lot of games that feel very American, a lot of games that feel very Japanese, but I always really enjoy when we get games that genuinely have a flavour of somewhere else.

PS - that's crazy that Rayman is the best selling game on PlayStation. I never would have guessed that. I actually had it on PlayStation too, it came in a big bundle with the machine and a bunch of other titles of varying quality from Toys R Us. Maybe that was a contributing factor to the high sales figures - heavy bundling.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              The only two that have really made an impression on me were Rayman 2 and Rayman Legends, both are strong games (Legends more so). Probably in the upper shadow of Nintendo's efforts at the least.
              My sentiments exactly. Loved 2 on DC and Legends (non wii u versions....hated those touch levels) is up there with the best 2D platformers.

Comment

Played the first one back in the day (looked nice but reminded me of an Amiga game crossed with marshmallows) but never 'got' it.

Currently got Rayman Origins, Rayman 3 HD and Rayman Raving Rabbids in my Xbone's 'Ready To Install', any of these three worth persisting with?

Comment

Only played the first game which is gorgeous but masochistic. I'm still somewhat fond of it despite getting cheesed off during my last playthrough. I was one of those PlayStation owners back in the day that owned it.

Comment

2d Rayman = Good.
                    3d Rayman = Bad.

Although the orginal game is rather unforgiving.
                    The later games on more recent systems have been fantastic though. Even the iOS games are gorgeous.

Comment

Working...
                    X