No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back David Heston... do you still have spikey black hair?

I’ve not completed the capsule toy collection, but appreciate how you don’t need to go through the same animation of paying and turning the dial of the capsule machine, speeds the whole process up instantly...

I keep getting the guy in the suit or Nozomi.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
      THAT's what I'm wantin'. The reviews all talk about 'emotion', Happy Console Gamer's recent vid tries to play the tears down but it's clear he was crying like a drain.

That's it.

EMOTION.
      You need Fernando Martinez my friend... He is on heavy rotation at Emotion 98.3... Vice City radio, 24/7 for your listening pleasure...

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
        Welcome back David Heston... do you still have spikey black hair?

I’ve not completed the capsule toy collection, but appreciate how you don’t need to go through the same animation of paying and turning the dial of the capsule machine, speeds the whole process up instantly...

I keep getting the guy in the suit or Nozomi.

Hello again lad! Alas, my hair is no longer vertical. I'm fast approaching middle age and all vibes in the hair department have long gone.

Anyone else finding playing a new Shenmue a weirdly emotional experience? I think the Consolevania review of the HD remaster hits the nail on head far better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5dvAUpHR0&t=397s

It's strange playing this now with a mortgage and a 3 year old, when 18 years ago playing Shenmue 2 life was pretty flipping different thats for sure.

And I still cant fecking get Ryo on the forklift out of that bastard machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dave heats View Post
          I think the Consolevania review of the HD remaster hits the nail on head far better than I could: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5dvAUpHR0&t=397s

consolvania is still a thing? I thought they had vanished after their stint on BBC.

Comment

I thought the same when I saw that video, it obviously means a great deal to him and is helping him through a rough time. That point where he reminisces about old times with his parents standing in the doorway waving to him is very sweet.

Comment

Played about a half hour last night.

I got tingles during the intro.

It's actually here.

IT EXISTS.

Seriously, it still hasn't hit me that Shenmue 3 is finally here. I think it's because it feels like a fan game in a lot of ways, despite costing 55 quid. But then there are things like footprints in the mud that show they've really put effort in certain areas.

Audio is hit-and-miss. The music gets quiet when people speak but it doesn't do so gradually. It just instantly changes the volume to a certain level. I'm not too hot for the fonts. That's right!

But damnit, it looks beautiful. I was mightily impressed with the scale of Shenmue 2 when playing the remake, but that was bearing in mind the DC's limitations. This one is current-gen and feels like it. The grass, the flowers... and the Shenmue tree is LIT, SON. It's so dream-like. And I wasn't enjoying Ryo's Mark-from-Peep-Show dark eyes until he was near some fire and I was bombarded by the goodness. God, what I wouldn't give to be lying naked under that tree being ogled by those swirling, caramel orbs.

Speaking of sexual inappropriateness, I had a giggle when the instructions screen told me circle was for 'grab' when I was standing behind Shenhua. #Muetoo

Comment

Played more last night and I am in love with the game. Not just that I love it, I am IN love with it. It’s hard to say what it is but I imagine nostalgia must be playing a big part but it captures the very same magic that the originals did. And even with nostalgia (maybe often because of nostalgia), that seems very difficult to achieve - think of how many times people are disappointed with sequels because they don’t evoke those same intangible feelings they wanted to feel. Shenmue 3 evokes those feelings.

So far, it is a slow, janky, beautiful piece of art. It makes me smile.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  consolvania is still a thing? I thought they had vanished after their stint on BBC.
                  They are indeed. Still making episodes on Patreon too.

Comment

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm deliberately taking this so slowly. I'm over the moon just playing this as a herb picking and gambling simulator tbh.

Comment

That kid got me trying to get the white lure and I have pumped a fortune into that machine now. What kind of tiny Chinese village needs so many of these capsule toy machines?!

Comment

Loving all the impressions here. I tried to resist, being knee-deep in Death Stranding n'all, but you've all drawn me in ... and the wintry nights are drawing in too, the perfect conditions for Shenmue escapage. Just nipped out for a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          Loving all the impressions here. I tried to resist, being knee-deep in Death Stranding n'all, but you've all drawn me in ... and the wintry nights are drawing in too, the perfect conditions for Shenmue escapage. Just nipped out for a copy.
                          Baddun.

Comment

Thug life chose me yo

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              That kid got me trying to get the white lure and I have pumped a fortune into that machine now. What kind of tiny Chinese village needs so many of these capsule toy machines?!
                              I should call my health insurance company and ask them if they'd accept the white fishing lure toy as payment for the medication I'm on for back troubles!

Comment

Some more thoughts on Shenmue 3 at the end of the first week.

I'm not quite sure about the fighting. It doesn't really feel fluid, or like my moves are connecting. Perhaps it's one of these things that will click into place suddenly. Having said that, I've never been one for fighting games and I felt the fighting in the original 2 games could feel a little wooden.

Also, musically, it's a mixed bag. In the original Shenmue, the music would change to suit the overall tone of the game and/or Ryo's mood at the time. For example, this amazingly earthy song which to me evokes feelings of watching the world go by on a rainy day. In the second game, that was replaced with a much more generic video game music style, where each area had its own theme that would play each time you visited it, with very little (or no?) variation. Shenmue 3 follows in the tradition of 2, and also seems to reuse a lot of its music. Also, now that the world is seamless and not broken up by loading screens, these different pieces of music pop in and out fairly frequently if you're running through the area. I've not played a ton of modern open world games, but I get the feeling that if the Shenmue games were to be made from scratch today, they'd have no music outside of cutscenes or other special events.

On that note, the running... it gets better the more you train, but I'm not sure that this stamina thing, where Ryo needs to be kept fed like a virtual pet, was a great idea. And that run animation still doesn't look quite right to me.

With those points out the way - I'm enjoying it a lot. Just like the original, every day I'm looking forward to loading the thing up because I want to know what's going to happen next in the story. And visually, it's great. OK, so on the PS4 the frame rate is inconsistent, but I've never seen it dip low, and I'm glad it attempts to hit 60fps wherever possible. The environments are absolutely beautiful, and I actually think the characters look very good as well. Many reviews from the usual sites have commented that the game looks dated, but I really think this is a case of Damned If You Do And Damned If You Don't. Obviously the Dreamcast games couldn't really aim for photorealism, but I think they went for a style that was as close as possible given the limitations of the late 90s. If the Shenmue 3 team had tossed that look out and reinvented S3 with a legit late 2010s stab at photorealism, it would seriously alienate anyone who played the first two: "That's not Ryo!" Personally, I think they've struck a great balance in taking the Dreamcast games' visual style and modernizing it.

Also, I really care about these characters and what happens to them. Again, that may just be nostalgia talking, like I'm getting to continue part of my young-adulthood. If I were coming to the game cold, without any prior exposure to Ryo and Shenhua, I probably wouldn't care that much. But perhaps that goes for any sequel, with or without an 18-year-gap in-between parts.

On the subject of reviews, not that I tend to read them for movies or for games, I wonder if the publisher setting a review embargo a few days after the release (before reneging on it) affected review scores at all. They're mostly as I expected, with it getting above average (6/10ish) scores.

Comment

Working...
                                X