No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to keep reminding myself that the Shenmue 1&2's huge budgets are the reason why Shenmue 3 is like this.

I took for granted how much of what makes the old games special is due to how much money was spent on them. There's a lot going on in Shenmue 3 that's inexplicable, even if it is a much smaller-budget game. The rain sound effect is a rubbish loop that lasts about three seconds and you can hear the cut; when someone's speaking, the music suddenly drops to a lower volume instead of fading a bit; there are maybe four human templates so it looks like an incest simulator; kids often look like adults which creeps me out; the fonts look cheap and the UI is weird(L1 for the menu!?!?)...

But then there are the understandable cuts - you can't just speak to random people, for example.

When you leave the village and go to the next place, it's pretty stunning and feels much more like Shenmue. I'm often standing around just gawping at how beautiful it looks. I didn't care much for the village, although Shenhua's garden at night is gorgeous and so dream-like.

I recently started playing Zelda BotW so Shenmue 3 is sitting there waiting patiently but posting about it here is making me want leave Link hanging and dive back in with Ryo and FriendsTM.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
      I have to keep reminding myself that the Shenmue 1&2's huge budgets are the reason why Shenmue 3 is like this.

I took for granted how much of what makes the old games special is due to how much money was spent on them. There's a lot going on in Shenmue 3 that's inexplicable, even if it is a much smaller-budget game. The rain sound effect is a rubbish loop that lasts about three seconds and you can hear the cut; when someone's speaking, the music suddenly drops to a lower volume instead of fading a bit; there are maybe four human templates so it looks like an incest simulator; kids often look like adults which creeps me out; the fonts look cheap and the UI is weird(L1 for the menu!?!?)...

But then there are the understandable cuts - you can't just speak to random people, for example.

When you leave the village and go to the next place, it's pretty stunning and feels much more like Shenmue. I'm often standing around just gawping at how beautiful it looks. I didn't care much for the village, although Shenhua's garden at night is gorgeous and so dream-like.

I recently started playing Zelda BotW so Shenmue 3 is sitting there waiting patiently but posting about it here is making me want leave Link hanging and dive back in with Ryo and FriendsTM.
      I’m early on in the game and just passed the sunflower stage.

Comment

Enjoy Bailu while it lasts, it's all downhill from there.

Comment

Reading through this thread it's insane to think that it's been 20 years since Shenmue II released let alone over a year since this came out and here I am finally properly sitting down and actually pushing on with playing it. Probably the most concerning thing going from thread to game is the comments about the game being downhill from Bailu Village as the village is... well, utter rubbish.

There are so many small touches that make this feel like Shenmue and had the game been made on the back of the second game it may have still been intended to be a similar experience to what it is but I think the village might have made more sense as a change of pace after the city, whereas now it's a sedate and largely barren location after two decades of nothing. It's very much the nostalgia carrying the experience so far and how unique Shenmue remains. I think I'm both finding it pleasant and dull at the same time - both aware that I'm grateful for it existing and at the same time had this come out in 2003 it would still be the worst of the three.

Comment

Yeah, I like the village but, yes, it goes downhill from there. And it's not really the fault of the location, which is actually pretty nice and has lots to see. It's the game design, which is just incredibly repetitive and not very rewarding.

Overall, I'll always be thankful we got this and I loved it for the nostalgia and there are lots of little things I love about the game but it's not what it could have been.

Comment

Felt a sense of relief last night as Bailu Village finally wrapped up. Felt utterly ridiculous that Ryo wastes half of a twenty year delayed game trying to beat up three lackeys, the most bizarre decision. Back when Shenmue II was wrapping up the mirrors seemed to be leaning towards some sort of mystical purpose and I'm glad that that has been pulled right back in and when Bailu finally offers a bit of plot advancement it's in a pretty mundane manner as it keeps things relatviely grounded. I've just arrived in the new location which is nice looking but I'm bracing myself for more of the inane padding that the first half had such as the amount of times you have to visit the drunk old man or saving up to buy one item.

Comment

Oh man, yes, brace yourself.

Comment

I thought after Bailu I'd take a break for a while but I think if I did it might be next year again before I come back to it. I don't know if the sedate day-to-day pacing was intended to make this feel like Shenmue 1 more or just due to constraints but I think Shenmue 1 got away with it because it was a better location, with much more detail and also a unique new experience.

The QTE's too, man its good they retry so quickly because the timings are daft in how quick they are especially as you don't know when they'll take place.

Comment

Despite being a huge fan of Shenmue I & II, I've not plasyed the 3rd game in the series to this point.

Which makes it more exciting that, I believe for today only, Shenmue III is free on the Epic games store. Go fill your boots!

Comment

I hit a wall on the Martial arts training part. It it making me train to fight some dude and seems like it’s gonna take an age…I have a week off so will see.

Comment

Working...
                      X