User Tag List

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Shenmue 3

That's whats so great about Japanese though, it's (for the most part ) easy to be gender neutral - San etc.

Bringing this back to Shenmue though, I've noticed tons of outright translation errors and not just wierd stylistic choices. A simple one I noticed today was Ryo saying "I've got to go to XX in the morning" and Shenhua replying "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" which was translated as "I'll come too" . Now, that could work if only she came with me but she didn't.
    Last edited by tokyochojin; 09-12-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Actually that reminds me about something I meant to ask. Quite early on, Shenhua tells me about the bars open late and wants to take me to them... but we never go. Any time I tried to leave late, it would stop me and at no point was this ever followed up. Did I miss something? Was there a way to go to the bar together?

Quote Originally Posted by tokyochojin View Post
    That's whats so great about Japanese though, it's (for the most part ) easy to be gender neutral - San etc.

Bringing this back to Shenmue though, I've noticed tons of outright translation errors and not just wierd stylistic choices. A simple one I noticed today was Ryo saying "I've got to go to XX in the morning" and Shenhua replying "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" which was translated as "I'll come too" . Now, that could work if only she came with me but she didn't.
    I didn't even read the English subs in many cases because they were so wrong. It was becoming annoying. As for yoroshiku onegaishimasu, that basically just means please / please do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
    In answer to your question, no, you cannot sleep with Shenhua.
    This is true but you can perv on her later on in the game and see all the ways she sleeps.

Yeah,
    I wasn't commenting on the stylistic choice (yoroshiku onegaishimasu is a Japanese word that can be translated to practically anything in English)but as someone who has worked in translation for Sony for a long time now, it's just amazing that such basic errors were not picked up on for such a (relatively)big release.

I can only assume that the translater was doing this on a large Excel, and when implemented into the game some words have been used for multiple scenarios, and shifted out of context.(Even Shenmue II's translation was better)

I have very little knowledge of Japanese but even to me there are parts where the subs clearly don’t match. Most obviously when they make just a sound but the subtitle is a whole 5-word sentence.

Is anyone who's never played a Shenmue game got this?

I wondered how it plays without the nostalgia or emotional investment (either in the game or shelling out on a prolonged Kickstarter!).

I loved both, thought I wanted it but no am unsure whether I want to go through the chores!