Shenmue 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    This is true but you can perv on her later on in the game and see all the ways she sleeps.
    How does the game compare to Shenmue II Yak?. My partner got the game for Christmas for me and I just wondering how it is. I wasn't much for Shenmue 1, but loved the 2nd.

If one likes Shenmue 2, will one like Shenmue 3?

Comment

It's ruined by overly used fetch quests. There are many parts where I honestly thought the game was taking the piss. It would have been far better to make a short game than to pad it out so much.

Comment

Definitely in the second area, it reached ridiculous proportions. There was no need for it. Either that or it seems like it would have been easy enough to invent better reasons for all that back and forth and make it feel more rewarding. For me, it definitely hit a point of frustration.

Comment

Finished it today, and to be honest the second half was a total drag by the end. Bailu village was fantastic but the second half just felt too thinly stretched, and pointlessly large. I'd much rather have had a smaller, more richly detailed area to explore rather than a town filled with multiple ice cream shops, 6 Buddha statue stores and capsule toy collections of wooden chairs.

Still can;t quite believe I've played Shenmue 3, and hope they carry on the story, but Christ the game play hasn't aged very well

Comment

Huge Shenmue fan here, beat both on DC, then the Xbox version and platted the PS4 collection.

Sorry to say it but Shenmue 3 is trash. There is no other way around it for me. At first, in the village, I loved it. I didn't like the combat (and the fact you always lose health) and the fact you can't skip text but the atmosphere and music was spot on. By the time I reached the second area I was kind of done. Its the boring version of HK with barely any NPC's walking around. This game just isn't good. I disagree with the game not aging well, I loved the PS4 collection last year and I was completely immersed still. I think the combat of those games is legit good once you understand the move sets and parry. Its a few notches above any Yakuza game for me. The controls could be better but then again RE4 is still beloved as well and that controls arguably worse.

There is NO story revelations or anything in 3. You learn NOTHING new if you've played S1 and 2. The most annoying thing about this game is how Ryo acts utterly shocked when someone reveals a plot he heard like 2 weeks earlier from Zhu. And why is he so weak (both in story and combat)? He beat Dou Niu and then this trash?

Ending spoilers etc:

Some old guy says Iwao was friends with Zhao and they trained together. Ryo is shocked to find out.

Chai comes, a guy who he beat twice already (on the way to HK even). He wants to know who he is and who he works for. Chai told him a few weeks ago that he was running errands for Lan Di since he wants to join the Chi You Men.

The end of game reveals that the mirrors were kept by Sunming and the Chi You Men are after them since they harbor huge treasure. Ryo acts shocked. Does this guy even take notice?[

Then, we finally meet Niao Sun. She takes mirror, laughs evil and burns place down because she wants to kill Lan Di and take over. Its very, very cardboard. Disappointing. I guess this the only new thing, the Chi You Men are in-fighting.

And by the way, the entire game is this: fight goons, lose, grind money for special move, beat boss with special move. Rinse repeat in area 2 (with a carbon copy boss and carbon copy special, not kidding). Almost nothing happens inbetween.

Shenmue 3 is a terrible game. Don't play it if you're on the fence. It doesn't do this franchise justice and doesn't move the story forward anyway. And the less said about that combat the better. I don't think I even want a 4. The direction this game took in both story and gameplay isn't what most fans want anyway. Perhaps if Yu hires competent writers but not like this.
            Last edited by Teppanyaki; 23-12-2019, 11:57.

Comment

Bit late to the party, but finally finished this today.Apart from the banal story that was needlessly repeated, and the rather bland selection of characters, I'm reasonably happy overall and the ending was pretty exciting.

One point I did notice throughout though was that it felt far more structured than in previous games. In previous games, you could reach the same destination in (what seemed like) a multiple of ways, yet in this one, it seemed you pretty much had to ask a certain person for the game to progress.

It also lacked little needless but enjoyable touches like being able to knock on people doors and them come and answer. In this one they were either out or in if the story required it. (I did enjoy being able to call the old characters on the phone though, wasn’t Nozomi supposed to be going to Canada?)

All in all, I’m happy we got this game and I’m interested in seeing where it goes next…hopefully with Sega on board next time?

Comment

Yeah, I have been curious about Sega’s involvement and how closely they’ll be watching this. Like I have said (and others too), whether Shenmue delivers or not is down to expectations and production budget. It’s not a huge mass market game but it does have dedicated audience. So if the figures can work under those circumstances, there is a level of safety to another game if they can save costs on what was developed for this game and constrain the scope. So I’m interested to see if Sega do anything with that.

I’d happily take another one, even while acknowledging all the criticisms of this one. If anything, maybe having Sega get more involved might lead to a more focussed experience for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Yeah, I have been curious about Sega’s involvement and how closely they’ll be watching this. Like I have said (and others too), whether Shenmue delivers or not is down to expectations and production budget. It’s not a huge mass market game but it does have dedicated audience. So if the figures can work under those circumstances, there is a level of safety to another game if they can save costs on what was developed for this game and constrain the scope. So I’m interested to see if Sega do anything with that.

I’d happily take another one, even while acknowledging all the criticisms of this one. If anything, maybe having Sega get more involved might lead to a more focussed experience for a new one.
                  Sadly due to Sega history with the series there is little chance of the Japanese division helping out, they pretty much fired Yu Suzuki, hence why he worked on next to nothing after Shenmue 2 at Sega. Having worked with quite a few few people at Sega over the years it's a bit of a back story. Sega of Europe and America have largely forgotten about it hence why we had the rather cheap HD version.

Don't know how well this has done to be honest already discount and Yu Suzuki clearly wanted more cash for the game. Lots of mixed reviews to, played the start it was OK, but Sega Yakuza games and Judgement are far better titles these days, they just have a lot more polish and class.

Comment

Still very early but I'll take Shenmue IV all day and all night as long as Yakuza insists on becoming a JRPG instead of a brawler. Iteration would be key to this series just as it has been to Yakuza but I think if they make a fairly cost effective follow up then it needs to ramp the story forward otherwise it'll completely lose its audience.

Comment

What's really weird about Shenmue 3's story is that making it meatier wouldn't in any way have created more work. It's as easy to record and animate lines that actually push the story forward as it is to record and animate people telling you over and over that the thugs were just here but you missed them. There is no shortage of content in the game at all, just a shortage of writing. If anything, trimming some of the fluff, extras and backing and forthing, while resulting in a shorter game, could have made it feel more rewarding.

Comment

Patch notes in today say you can skip conversations straight away. Also of note is "Fixed purchase prices of items which were incorrect." I wonder if that refers to the book buying trick.

Comment

Well I know you can play your save on an unpatched version of the game as I had to do that to fix the sleep bug. So I'm pretty sure any money making tricks will always be available to the player if they need them that badly.

Comment

Turtle racing + Hori pad's turbo fire = ridiculously easy money

Even with turbo fire, I'm not winning every race. I just save before a new one, see which colour won, reload and choose that. Much quicker than visiting the fortune teller! I'm finding the game a bit boring so I'm just powering through, but I do enjoy the fighting.

I haven't played it since the patch, so I'm looking forward to skipping conversations.

Comment

Really late to the party for this one but finally got started on this and I have to say I am really underwhelmed so far. Before playing this I wanted to go through the first two games again with the HD remasters and now I think that was a huge mistake, I literally booted up this game as soon as the credits for 2 were finished and it was really jarring.

Ryo looks terrible and looks nothing like he did in the first two, its like his eyes shrunk but his nose and face got longer, body proportions are out of whack as well. Then theres Shenhua who also looks completely different, but in her case her eyes have gotten bigger. Biggest problem though is that her clothes are completely different to what she was wearing at the end of 2 and are not even the same colour, it completely destroys any continuity with the previous game and is simply baffling how something like this got missed/overlooked.

Then when they get out of the cave things get worse, the colours are completely over saturated and look terrible (a common problem with most modern japanese games/movies) and then there are just some really stupid cinematic choices made in the conversation scenes, for example when Ryo and Shenhua are walking down a hill and talking while they are walking for one moment and then suddenly theres an instant cut mid sentence with them both standing still. In other conversations the characters line of sight doesnt match and its completely jarring, this stuff is really a basic cinematography rule which shouldn’t be broken.

Finally and probably the biggest problem for me is the complete lack of anything sega in the game. For me one of the things that made shenmue what it was, was the love and references for all things sega, whether it was the sega saturn you could play on or the arcade machines, the capsule toys based on sega franchises or the posters and references to the virtua fighter series. Having all of that missing makes the game lose most of its charm and for me it doesnt feel like a proper shenmue game, instead it feels like an unofficial fan project like those nintendo n64 games remade in unreal that loses all of the charm of the original game and looks inferior despite being technically much better.

Im still at the start of the game so hopefully it grows on me and I know that it was pretty much a miracle that the game got made in the first place, but first impressions are not good and its been quite a while since Ive been let down this much by a game I was excited about.

Comment

I’m the same, started it two days ago and not the impact I was expecting. Still going to give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                                X