No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only just realised you can save/load from the pause screen by going to...

SETTINGS.

Why is R1 used for that screen? Why not Options? I'm hoping it's reserved for warping to sailors later on, otherwise I'll be pissed.

Also, I can't find a way to switch voices without going back to the main menu so it's been Japanese all the way. I liked switching the remakes back and forth at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      Really? Sounds just like the original. I'll have to check the names.
      If you can stand listening to the English version again, refresh your memory. She sounded kind of shy in the original English version, the new actress is more full-on valley girl.

Comment

I had never played Shenmue in English. I thought the voice acting was so bad. It put me right off. So the first two were played in Japanese however I did play the PAL version of part 2 for the English text. It wasn't until then did I know all the real drinks were removed and characters changed plus no smoking either. Did you know that Yuan was a lady boy in the Japanese version? In the PAL version it's a woman.

Comment

"It's" lol.
          I love how living in Japan keeps us non-PC

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
            "It's" lol.
            I love how living in Japan keeps us non-PC
            hahaha, sometimes I don't know what can be said these days. We have a "new half" working in our company. For the longest time I wondered how should I address that person but since the look and the person obviously wants to be a female I just call her Ms........... That seemed to be acceptable by the person.

Comment

That's whats so great about Japanese though, it's (for the most part ) easy to be gender neutral - San etc.

Bringing this back to Shenmue though, I've noticed tons of outright translation errors and not just wierd stylistic choices. A simple one I noticed today was Ryo saying "I've got to go to XX in the morning" and Shenhua replying "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" which was translated as "I'll come too" . Now, that could work if only she came with me but she didn't.
              Last edited by tokyochojin; 09-12-2019, 12:54.

Comment

Actually that reminds me about something I meant to ask. Quite early on, Shenhua tells me about the bars open late and wants to take me to them... but we never go. Any time I tried to leave late, it would stop me and at no point was this ever followed up. Did I miss something? Was there a way to go to the bar together?

Comment

In answer to your question, no, you cannot sleep with Shenhua.

Comment

Without the cheat code...

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                      That's whats so great about Japanese though, it's (for the most part ) easy to be gender neutral - San etc.

Bringing this back to Shenmue though, I've noticed tons of outright translation errors and not just wierd stylistic choices. A simple one I noticed today was Ryo saying "I've got to go to XX in the morning" and Shenhua replying "yoroshiku onegaishimasu" which was translated as "I'll come too" . Now, that could work if only she came with me but she didn't.
                      I didn't even read the English subs in many cases because they were so wrong. It was becoming annoying. As for yoroshiku onegaishimasu, that basically just means please / please do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                        In answer to your question, no, you cannot sleep with Shenhua.
                        This is true but you can perv on her later on in the game and see all the ways she sleeps.

Comment

Yeah,
                          I wasn't commenting on the stylistic choice (yoroshiku onegaishimasu is a Japanese word that can be translated to practically anything in English)but as someone who has worked in translation for Sony for a long time now, it's just amazing that such basic errors were not picked up on for such a (relatively)big release.

I can only assume that the translater was doing this on a large Excel, and when implemented into the game some words have been used for multiple scenarios, and shifted out of context.(Even Shenmue II's translation was better)

Comment

I have very little knowledge of Japanese but even to me there are parts where the subs clearly don’t match. Most obviously when they make just a sound but the subtitle is a whole 5-word sentence.

Comment

Is anyone who's never played a Shenmue game got this?

I wondered how it plays without the nostalgia or emotional investment (either in the game or shelling out on a prolonged Kickstarter!).

Comment

I loved both, thought I wanted it but no am unsure whether I want to go through the chores!

Comment

Working...
                                X