Retro Arena: 8-bit consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    So, nostalgia is your driving force when it comes to retro gaming. I think that's also the case with lots of people. I tend to enjoy exploring all sorts of retro systems, so my favourites tend to change a bit depending on what I've been playing. The main machine that I have a lot of nostalgia for is the SNES, which always gives me a nostalgia buzz when I go back to it.
    Of course, it's my childhood and nostalgia always plays a part then and 'looking back' always seems better to the present day too. My bother had an Atari 2600 it did nothing for me, I was more into playing football/rugby at that time, I wasn't into gaming at all!

My cousin had a ZX Spectrum for Christmas and I couldn't believe the loading screen art, actually looked like, the box art on the cassette l tape, that got me interested into gaming and hooked (really). All my friends and school friends had the Zx Spectrum and so that's all I would play in my house and my mate's houses.

Then in the Arcades you had Space Harrier, OutRun, AfterBurner II in the Arcades and I started to see they all had that SEGA holographic sticker on them and I fell in LOVE with SEGA and not long after the Master System came out and again, almost all my friends had one, so again that's all I would play

I was still young then, it wasn't until the Mega Drive that I took any sort of interest import gaming and where you had Mean Machines which covered systems like the PC Eng, but It was all too late, I was all SEGA by then...My brothers NES was nothing to the Master System and while Lee got me to buy a PC Eng it was nothing to the Mega Drive.

If I had got and played a PC Engine when it launched in Japan it might have been different

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
      I did pick one up a few years ago and I still feel kind of excited that I now have one (although less excited than I wouldn't been in 1988!)
      I wish I had memories of owning one in 1988 -- it would probably make me like the system even before. It's great how NEC delivered a system that beat Nintendo and Sega at their own game.

the Mario games were awesome. And I do remember loving Life Force when I played it at a friend's house (although I loved anything to do with Salamander at the time)
      The Mario games are the main reason I loved the NES back in the day day -- all three games kept me coming back for more and more. Life Force/Salamander is also one of my favourite shooters -- it also looks really nice on the NES.

so I can imagine it must've been pretty amazing back then.
      It felt really advanced for the time, so the whole experience was extremely captivating. Maybe the best Master System game ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        I wasn't into gaming at all!

Comment

No sorry, Up until 7 years old I was far more into playing Rugby and Football for real, then my Cousin a lady btw) had a ZX 48k Spectrum for Christmas and that transformed totally me into gaming

Last edited by Team Andromeda; 24-11-2019, 18:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            and that transformed totally me into gaming

And you also like classic rock.

Comment

Sorry, the Intellivision is 16-bit. It uses a really weak 16-bit CPU, so that's why it still offers very basic games. A world away from a powerful 16-bit CPU like the 68000.
              That's fair enough but won't you end up with the Intellivision (from 1979) going against Neo Geo, SNES and Megadrive when you do the 16 bit consoles?

No one in their right mind would choose it (sorry Intellivision!). I get why you did it this way but I think it's better to categorize by "8 bit era" and "16 bit era" That way you don't get any anomalies. And the PC engine can slide into either..

The lust I felt towards the PCE was immense.... Had to wait a few years to finally get my hands on one though. I wish I had been able to buy one in the early days 1987-88.
              Which one did you get in the end? The original white one or a later version? A guy at my school brought the breifcase version in (with the CD player). And it seemed like the most futuristic thing ever. For me that's the best one but I know some people really don't like it!

Comment

Originally posted by buzz909 View Post
                That's fair enough but won't you end up with the Intellivision (from 1979) going against Neo Geo, SNES and Megadrive when you do the 16 bit consoles?
                I actually looked back on this topic and realised I should have titled it '8-bit era consoles' instead. Then I could have included the Intellivision. When I made a 16-bit thread, I wanted to include the PC Engine, so I simply titled it '16-bit era consoles'.

It's all just a bit of fun and food for thought though, so I don't worry about getting things 100% perfect. I do try though.

Which one did you get in the end? The original white one or a later version? A guy at my school brought the breifcase version in (with the CD player). And it seemed like the most futuristic thing ever. For me that's the best one but I know some people really don't like it!
                I ended up with a cheap white one -- and managed to get quite a few games for under £10. I was more focused on the Mega Drive and SNES at the time, so I never really got into PCE gaming. But it is a machine I've really enjoyed over the past 15 years or so, since becoming a retro gamer.

I now have the white, dark grey, and light grey models in my collection. I also have a minty white one that I just keep as an example of how cool the machine is when it's shiny white.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-12-2019, 07:32.

Comment

I ended up with a cheap white one -- and managed to get quite a few games for under £10. I was more focused on the Mega Drive and SNES at the time, so I never really got into PCE gaming. But it is a machine I've really enjoyed over the past 15 years or so, since becoming a retro gamer.

I now have the white, dark grey, and light grey models in my collection. I also have a minty white one that I just keep as an example of how cool the machine is when it's shiny white.
                  That's impressive you have so many PCEs. You also did well to find a white one that was actually white! A lot of them seem to yellow. I heard recently you can just put yellowed plastic in the sun and it turns it back white. Might be hard to find sun this time of year though.

Comment

That's impressive you have so many PCEs. You also did well to find a white one that was actually white! A lot of them seem to yellow. I heard recently you can just put yellowed plastic in the sun and it turns it back white. Might be hard to find sun this time of year though.
                    The dark grey cost quite a bit when I bought it, because it has a modern RGB mod and caps. The audio and image are perfect.

The lighter grey one cost me about £30, and the two white ones were around £30 each. So all three cost me around £150. I just got lucky with the minty white one, so I guess the seller might have done something to restore the whiteness.

Colin and Importaku know all about whitening consoles with peroxide and UV light. I've never done it, but I've seen how nice the results can be.

I should have bought a SuperGrafx when they were far more affordable, because it's a very interesting looking design that I think is quite cool. Can't afford one these days.

Comment

The dark grey cost quite a bit when I bought it, because it has a modern RGB mod and caps. The audio and image are perfect.

The lighter grey one cost me about £30, and the two white ones were around £30 each. So all three cost me around £150. I just got lucky with the minty white one, so I guess the seller might have done something to restore the whiteness.

Colin and Importaku know all about whitening consoles with peroxide and UV light. I've never done it, but I've seen how nice the results can be.

I should have bought a SuperGrafx when they were far more affordable, because it's a very interesting looking design that I think is quite cool. Can't afford one these days.

That's a good price for the PCEs! I have a copy of Aldynes on Supergrafx somewhere but no Supergrafx.

Yes I like it too, they actually made the console look like an Engine. With the PC Engine many people were never quite sure what the Engine part meant but with the Supergrafx people wondered why it looked like a Engine

Comment

That's a good price for the PCEs!
                        Bought in the good 'ol days before retro gear became expensive. I got loads of bargains before 2010.

they actually made the console look like an Engine.
                        Such a crazy design, but I love it. The original PCE design is really cool though.

Comment

Working...
                        X