No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: Handheld Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to mention - the NGPC "clicky stick" was the best D-pad of anything, ever. It should have been used on every controller with a D-pad after that. I really think someone should figure out how to make an identical version of that on a simple pad and produce versions for all the old game consoles.

Comment

Only one choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
        The Game Boy is by far the best of the handhelds mentioned here. Even its limitations worked in its favour - the lack of power forced designers to concentrate on pure gameplay, so there are loads of awesome titles.
        I like that it can run NES style games really well. So you had good Castlevania and Contra games, even if they're monochrome. A lot of GB games have detailed graphics and smooth gameplay. Plus some games have truly excellent music.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

Next up is the Game Boy Color. A bit of a cheat because it runs all the GB games too.
        Yeah, you may as well have a GB Color. But if someone has fonder memories of enjoying the original GB, they might choose that for nostalgia reasons. The monochrome screen might feel more nostalgic for some.

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        Only one choice!
        What? No love for the Gamate and SuperVision?
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-12-2019, 09:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          Yeah, you may as well have a GB Color. But if someone has fonder memories of enjoying the original GB, they might choose that for nostalgia reasons. The monochrome screen might feel more nostalgic for some.
          Personally I had a weird dislike for playing GB games on the Color. I did it, certainly, but I always preferred them on the Pocket as the screen's definition seemed better.

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
          I forgot to mention - the NGPC "clicky stick" was the best D-pad of anything, ever. It should have been used on every controller with a D-pad after that. I really think someone should figure out how to make an identical version of that on a simple pad and produce versions for all the old game consoles.
          This is definitely true; I'm sad it never became widely adopted. It's just amazing. You'd think that Hori or someone would make a range of fighting-game focused joypads with this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            but I always preferred them on the Pocket as the screen's definition seemed better.

I was always curious about the GB Light, but never got around to buying one. I'm now feeling interested in getting my hands on a Game Boy with a decent screen. I've got a reasonable Chinese GB, but the aspect ratio isn't correct.

Comment

Software line up is a big factor but Neo Geo Pocket is a sexy little beast of a retro handheld. After that it'd be the GBA variants, always an easy winner for Nintendo

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                but Neo Geo Pocket is a sexy little beast of a retro handheld.
                Yeah, it's a great looking machine. Definitely one of the best from this collection.

Comment

Working...
                X