Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Worst Video Game Console You Own Or Have Owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I've ever got a stinker, because I haven't gone for any of the riskier systems. I guess the closest would be the Pokemon Mini. That was a bit rubbish. But it was a nice novelty for a while, I suppose.

Comment

I know, but I think it's the software that did a lot. PS1 was such a big console for many but as I'd already grown up through the Amstrad, NES, and SNES/MD eras the PS1 felt more like it brought a marketing style shift more than anything else for the first couple of years. Sony was the newcomer so my eye was still much more firmly on what Sega and Nintendo were putting out so I even attributed the 3D revolution to their hardware because it came from them first. Eventually the software catalogue grew and there were definitely games I enjoyed on a regular basis and I'd say MGS stands tall in the PS1's catalogue as a game that really did a lot for me for that platform. FFVII to me was always overrated, it looked good but it was just another trudge jrpg with an amnesiac lead, I can see why it made an impression but the genre never won me over as a whole. Similar for Tekken, I preferred VF back in the day Tekken 3 hit. Wipeout, Driver, Gran Turismo all left me a little cold with later sequels being the ones that won me over. The 2D GTA's have never been too enjoyable for me either and Resi was great but again I saw it more as an Alone in the Dark rip off with the sequels making the impression on me more.

It's all what builds that picture of it being a great system overall but owning say a Saturn or N64 came with its own frustrations but the line up that arrived felt a solid tier preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        The Atari VCS was incredibly crude and any extended play showed how basic the games were.
        Empire Strikes Back was just shooting endless AT-ATs, Smurfs only had a few levels and 147 slight variations of Pong.
        Scuffle about with QualityChimp, go check out Space Shuttle etc!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          Shame Atari rushed it to market without a respin to get rid of the bugs in the chipset.
          Typical Atari I wasn't happy with the 16 Bit main CPU. But other than that the chipset was impressive tech for the time and I did like the CRY colour mode in games like Doom. Also, its 2D performance was really good, shame it was never used to full effect. The speed and scaling in Super Burnout was incredible

Comment

I don't know how someone can say PS1 is the worst console they've ever owned! That is mental!

For me, honestly, probably the Vita. Great piece of hardware but it never lived up to its potential. I feel bad saying that though. I do like the Vita. I can't choose - it's like trying to decide on a least favourite child

Comment

This is going to go against the grain here as well I expect but the worst system I have is my N64
              Never really jelled with it in any great way.
              I appreciate it's a good machine all round but a bit like Neon with the PS1 (crazy nut job) it just didn't set my world alight.
              I enjoyed some games (mostly ISS, WWF & F-Zero) but the rest just didn't really interets me & out of all the other consoles I have (or owned) it's just never ticked enough boxes.
              I still have it & a few games but it's one I don't think I'll ever really revisit if I had the opportunity to use it again

After that it's another Ninty machine - the 3DS
              Have one of the new style Ambassador consoles & have never really enjoyed it...games just never appealed to me so there it sits gathering dust

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                AVP was so overrated, just flat maps, it may not be the best version out there but Doom was better to play than AVP. Tempest was pretty good, probably the best game on the system.
                When I eventually bought an NTSC Jaguar a few years ago and played AvP, I thought it was still quite impressive. It's not as advanced as Doom, but the graphics are impressive. The atmosphere created is really effective. Maybe the tech could have been pushed further with a sequel, but devs soon abandoned the machine after the first wave of games.

Another Jaguar game that still impressed me is Super Burnout, which runs really fast and smooth. The sprite scaling shows off the machine's power. It's not a perfect game, but I always enjoy going back to it.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                Shame Atari rushed it to market without a respin to get rid of the bugs in the chipset.
                Yeah, it needed more time to iron out the bugs, and better dev docs & tools to help devs understand the architecture.

Such a shame.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                This will sound so ridiculous but I kind of think it was... the PS1. Don't get me wrong, it's a great system but when I think of every other console I've owned I just think I prefer them to it.
                I think this thread is more about machines that stick in your mind as regrets, or they simply didn't give you much entertainment.

I can look back at the PS2 and say I didn't like it as much as the Game Cube and Xbox, but I still have good memories of enjoying some of its best games. I'm just not overly fond of it.

When I think about "worst" machines, I'm glad I didn't go near the GX4000. Burning Rubber and Pang are decent games, but I know I would have felt a lot of negativity towards the machine if I had bought one. There were plenty of consoles at the time that offered so much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

When I think about "worst" machines, I'm glad I didn't go near the GX4000. Burning Rubber and Pang are decent games, but I know I would have felt a lot of negativity towards the machine if I had bought one. There were plenty of consoles at the time that offered so much more.
                  My cousin had one and that's pretty much how he felt lmao. I am somewhat nostalgic for it as a result though. IIRC it's still an affordable machine due to its... undesirability I guess. I might look into it at some point just to mess about with it.

Comment

Game.com, Virtual Boy and Wonderswan, I suppose, although I only bought them as curiosities, so didn't expect much.

Comment

I think that's the trouble, I've played most systems but in terms of owning them never sunk money into the side ones like Jaguar etc because they were obvious failures leading up to their launches. I've got my head racking though (bearing in mind this is for their time).

NES > PS1
                      Mega Drive > PS1
                      SNES > PS1
                      N64 > PS1
                      Saturn > PS1
                      PS2 > PS1
                      GC > PS1
                      DC > PS1
                      PS3 > PS1
                      360 > PS1
                      WiiU > PS1
                      NS > PS1
                      PS4 > PS1
                      XBO > PS1

Thinking back I feel like the Wii and XBO are the closest in terms of ones I'd be least favourable of but even then none of them are bad.

Comment

Neo geo. Lusted after one for ages, got one, realised I don’t really like fighting games or shooters lol. Entirely my own fault for not really thinking about it. The golf game was good though!

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          I never got to experience VCDs on it which I always regretted and I got some good use out of the encyclopedia software I had for it when it came to homework. It was also my first CD player so there's that.
                          Funnily enough the pending VideoCD revolution was a driving force in my decision to originally go with the Saturn over the Playstation. Of course, in the UK, VideoCDs never really took off; I never even bought the VideoCD card for the console.

I know they took off in other parts of the world, though. I'm told they were popular in humid countries as VHS tapes tend to fail in high humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Funnily enough the pending VideoCD revolution was a driving force in my decision to originally go with the Saturn over the Playstation. Of course, in the UK, VideoCDs never really took off; I never even bought the VideoCD card for the console.

I know they took off in other parts of the world, though. I'm told they were popular in humid countries as VHS tapes tend to fail in high humidity.
                            Yes they were big in Hong Kong. My girlfriend's dad has a massive collection of them. The artwork on them is awesome, no idea what any of them are about though.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            I think that's the trouble, I've played most systems but in terms of owning them never sunk money into the side ones like Jaguar etc because they were obvious failures leading up to their launches. I've got my head racking though (bearing in mind this is for their time).

NES > PS1
                            Mega Drive > PS1
                            SNES > PS1
                            N64 > PS1
                            Saturn > PS1
                            PS2 > PS1
                            GC > PS1
                            DC > PS1
                            PS3 > PS1
                            360 > PS1
                            WiiU > PS1
                            NS > PS1
                            PS4 > PS1
                            XBO > PS1

Thinking back I feel like the Wii and XBO are the closest in terms of ones I'd be least favourable of but even then none of them are bad.
                            Yeah, it's fair enough as it's all subjective. PS1 was such a huuuge console for me growing up though. MGS1, FF VII, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer Type 4 - just incredible experiences, like nothing I'd ever played before. A quantum leap forward. I didn't own a 64, and was envious of Lylat Wars, Mario 64, Mario Kart and the Zelda games, but it always felt like PlayStation had a much broader library.

Saturn was barely even on my radar at the time! I have one now and really like it. It's no PS1 though
                            Last edited by wakka; 03-12-2019, 13:39.

Comment

To risk quoting the other thread, mine would be the Wonderswan. I finally got around to trying it a couple of years ago and I honestly don't rate it. It's often said that its worth it if you understand Japanese, but honestly, I don't even think that defence works anymore. At the time I think it had a lot to offer, like back when it was contemporary, but today? I really think it's had its day.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              For me, honestly, probably the Vita.
                              Certainly ranks near the bottom of my list, and it came with a litany of problems that push it to that position. However, I can never be mad at it because it got me to play Steins;Gate, and that ended up being one of my favourite games of the decade.

Comment

I'll go with the N64 as it's just a terrible piece of hardware, in every area. Great games on the system, but terrible hardware. Buying the games on WII U Virtual Console is a better way to play them now.

Comment

Working...
                                X