Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Worst Video Game Console You Own Or Have Owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's The Worst Video Game Console You Own Or Have Owned?

Sorry to make you choose! but thought there would be some fun answers. So what's the worst video game console you own or have owned?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll go first:

I still own it and I do have some affection for it but the Amiga CD32 is the worst I have ever owned. It looks + feels cheap and has a terrible blocky design. The games often appear less powerful than a Megadrive and it's fairly obvious Commodore just put the A1200 computer into a console box and added a CD drive and gave almost no thought to add game-friendly features - like extra playfields or sprites.

The controller is also one of the worst controllers ever

If you come in with (very) low expectations - it can be fun to play the games and make discoveries but many of the games are just poor when compared to the SNES or MD.

Also not sure if it is me - but none of the games seem to fill the TV screen. There's usually a big gap at the bottom of the screen. Looks really bad!

The worst one I've ever had would be the Jaguar , the worst one I still own, is the Wii

Comment

Either the SuperGrafX or the Virtual Boy. The SGX was simply rushed to production with no outlook in mind, similarly to the VB, but the VB has some serious design flaws and I'd say it takes the cake.

Honourable mentions to the X Box One and the PC-FX for similar reasons: the limited appeal of their exclusive game library; PC-FX has a lot of visual novels, while the XBO doesn't have one exclusive game I'm interested in...Cuphead is available on PC. The main difference between these two and the SGX and VB is that they are well designed consoles (well, the XBO certaintly is) or were able to carve their own niche.

Comment

Philips CDi console. Try playing Flashback on the packaged piece of **** controller and you'll want to burn your house down.

Comment

Wanderswan Color. Yeah it's got some good games, yeah the hardware looks really cool but Jesus that screen you need to crick your neck into the perfect angle zone to see wtf is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Wanderswan Color. Yeah it's got some good games, yeah the hardware looks really cool but Jesus that screen you need to crick your neck into the perfect angle zone to see wtf is going on.
            ... Kind of like a Swans neck?

Comment

More Silkworm helicopter mid boss style.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                Philips CDi console. Try playing Flashback on the packaged piece of **** controller and you'll want to burn your house down.
                CDi for me as well. My parents got me one around 97 after I asked for a computer. Second hand and it came with that one handed remote... My favourite game on it was a digitised golf game. I had two of the Zelda's which were garbage and a few others. I also remember trading it in to an independent store in Bury that had literal rows of those Zelda games. The cases for every game I owned broke.

I never got to experience VCDs on it which I always regretted and I got some good use out of the encyclopedia software I had for it when it came to homework. It was also my first CD player so there's that.

I later replaced it with a PSX and never looked back.

Comment

I wanted but didn't manage to get a CDi back in the day, so I think that would have definitely been the "worst" console I could have owned.

I've owned every relevant machine over the years, but I can't think of any that I have strong negative feelings towards. The 3DO didn't last long, but I have great memories of enjoying it for a couple of years.

So, I haven't got a "worst" machine answer, because I decided against buying a CDi, CD32 and Jaguar. I'm sure they'd be seen as "worst" machines I've ever owned if I had bought them back in the day. Although, I have a soft spot for the Jaguar now, I can also see why I might have thought it was a dodgy console back then.

Comment

Jaguar, had one briefly in 1998, cheap ebay purchase with AVP, Doom, Tempest, Cybermorph and Trevor Mcfurr, they all looked ok,
                    AVP was so overrated, just flat maps, it may not be the best version out there but Doom was better to play than AVP. Tempest was pretty good, probably the best game on the system.

Comment

I can't think of any machines that I've owned that I've disliked. I found enjoyment in all of them. The Jaguar is interesting, as it's a close as we saw to a next gen Sinclair machine. It was a distant relative of the Sinclair Loki, and was designed by a team of ex Sinclair engineers.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        . It was a distant relative of the Sinclair Loki, and was designed by a team of ex Sinclair engineers.
                        The tech was sound, shame Flair sold it to Atari

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          The tech was sound, shame Flair sold it to Atari
                          Shame Atari rushed it to market without a respin to get rid of the bugs in the chipset.

Comment

This will sound so ridiculous but I kind of think it was... the PS1. Don't get me wrong, it's a great system but when I think of every other console I've owned I just think I prefer them to it.

Comment

That is ridiculous, Neon.
                              MGS, FFVII, Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, WipeOut, Parappa. GTA, Tekken 3, Driver and so on.

I might give you a temporary ban to have a think about what you've said.

Worst console I own is probably this:

The Atari VCS was incredibly crude and any extended play showed how basic the games were.
                              Empire Strikes Back was just shooting endless AT-ATs, Smurfs only had a few levels and 147 slight variations of Pong.

Comment

Working...
                              X