Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Snippets - Bits & Pieces from the world of retro gaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better waiting for the Mega65 - http://mega65.org/
    Between that and the Speccy Next it’s going to be a great year for retro micro updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      What are the bad points people are reporting? Any problems with how the SID sounds? It would really put me off if the audio isn't spot on.
      Build quality and also using someones emulator without even crediting them.

Comment

In other news, I finally released my Sinclair QL adventure game for free over Christmas. https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3072

it can be played on a pc using Qemulator etc. or a real QL/QL Compatible. The zip includes all the design documents, source code, box art, manual, all graphics and animated intro etc.

I'm now starting on my next qame which is a dungeon crawler adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I had a look around and people are saying the full size version comes with a much better joystick, so I'll probably grab that sometime soon. The C64 is easily my favourite 8-bit computer alongside the MSX2.
          I bought the mini last year, its good but needs a hub. I was bought the new bigger C64 Joystick for Xmas, after a quick update I found it runs perfectly on the mini.

My Mister FPGA setup also works great with it, makes the C64, ST and Amiga games feel very authentic.

In summary, get a C64 but if you can stretch to the Mister setup then it does more and it does it better but doesn't look as good as a C64.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            Better waiting for the Mega65 - http://mega65.org/
            Between that and the Speccy Next it’s going to be a great year for retro micro updates.
            Or an Ultimate64

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
              In other news, I finally released my Sinclair QL adventure game for free over Christmas. https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3072

it can be played on a pc using Qemulator etc. or a real QL/QL Compatible. The zip includes all the design documents, source code, box art, manual, all graphics and animated intro etc.

I'm now starting on my next qame which is a dungeon crawler adventure.
              I wanna play this but not on an emulator. So, the time has come for me to get a ql. Where’s the best place to source one? Ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                I wanna play this but not on an emulator. So, the time has come for me to get a ql. Where’s the best place to source one? Ta.
                Probably ebay although you can try a wanted on my ql forum You will also need an expansion card to play it, as it's not on microdrive. Happy to give advice though.

Comment

Does anyone know if the new large size C64 is a limited edition, or will there be new stock? Sellers are already bumping the price up and some are using the word 'RARE'.

I will try to grab one at a reasonable price if there isn't going to be more of them on the way.

Comment

Honesty, save your money and get a proper one.

Comment

Whilst I have a real one, I can see why some people prefer "The C64".

The computers are relatively cheap, but unless you want to suffer with cassettes, you're going to at least an SD2IEC, but really they're very slow and clunky to use and you'll be forever looking for cracks that don't use any kind of sophisticated loader, so really you want a 1541 ultimate, which is a superb piece of hardware and an absolute must for any enthusiast (I seriously can't speak highly enough of it!), but can often have a wait time (although does appear to be in stock right now!) and costs 139 euros.

If you're plugging the computer into a CRT, you may be ok with composite, but if you want to hook it up to a modern display you'll need a Retrotink or Framemeister and you'll probably want to install a Lumafix to get rid of the jailbars (another £15) and a decent s-video cable (£10-£15).

The other option is an Ultimate64, again a fantastic piece of hardware that combines the features of the 1541 Ultimate with an FPGA C64 with HDMI output, but it's over 200 euros and you'll also need a C64 case/keyboard to put it in (and a SID if you want true analogue sounds).

"The C64" is just an emulator in a nice case (not even a C64 case according to The 8 Bit Guy, but a Vic 20 case!), but it's quick and easy to set up for people who just want to play some games.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                        "The C64" is just an emulator in a nice case (not even a C64 case according to The 8 Bit Guy, but a Vic 20 case!), but it's quick and easy to set up for people who just want to play some games.
                        Is that worth 200+ quid though?

Comment

I was trying out some new C64 games over Christmas

Doc Cosmos is a nice little platformer where you traverse the game by switching timelines between 1982 and 2019. This video explains it better!

Neutron is a pretty nice vertical scrolling shmup (although I sometimes feel that the bullet to enemy collision detection should be a little more generous to the player)

There's also a new version of Manic Miner that makes the C64 port play exactly like the Speccy and adds some nicer presentation

Comment

Is that worth 200+ quid though?
                            They're about £120. I agree it's a bit pricey when you could get very similar results with an emulator.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                              Whilst I have a real one, I can see why some people prefer "The C64".

The computers are relatively cheap, but unless you want to suffer with cassettes, you're going to at least an SD2IEC, but really they're very slow and clunky to use and you'll be forever looking for cracks that don't use any kind of sophisticated loader, so really you want a 1541 ultimate, which is a superb piece of hardware and an absolute must for any enthusiast (I seriously can't speak highly enough of it!), but can often have a wait time (although does appear to be in stock right now!) and costs 139 euros.

If you're plugging the computer into a CRT, you may be ok with composite, but if you want to hook it up to a modern display you'll need a Retrotink or Framemeister and you'll probably want to install a Lumafix to get rid of the jailbars (another £15) and a decent s-video cable (£10-£15).

The other option is an Ultimate64, again a fantastic piece of hardware that combines the features of the 1541 Ultimate with an FPGA C64 with HDMI output, but it's over 200 euros and you'll also need a C64 case/keyboard to put it in (and a SID if you want true analogue sounds).

Or a Pi1541 which is cycle exact. Still slow of course.

Comment

Do you know if the machine has a limited production run, because it looks like the first batch has sold out at most retailers. Any info on whether there will be more stock hitting the shelves?

I saw it for £110 the other day, but now the price has gone up, with some people charging over £150. I didn't think it would be deemed "RARE" by some people so soon.

How much would an original 'bread bin' C64 with jail bar fix and SD card loading cost?
                                Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-01-2020, 17:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X