Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Snippets - Bits & Pieces from the world of retro gaming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    Was this via the Zzap Annual as we reviewed both in there?

Currently working on the third annual for later this year... deciding what games to use, there's quite a nice lot on the horizon for 2020!
    It was! I had seen Neutron before and had been meaning to try it out, but Zzap was a useful reminder (as was the Christmas version). Doc Cosmos was all because of Zzap
    Last edited by ZipZap; 17-01-2020, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
      Nice! It sounds like you can't tell the diffrence between the real hardware and the SG?

Did you import it from Analogue's website in the US to home, I'm guessing you're in the UK? I've heard conflicting reports that it's another £100 ontop of the RRP by the time you factor in postage and duty?
      I bought one as a Christmas present for myself and absolutely love it! I've never actually owned a Megadrive or Master System, so I can't comment on any differences (although youtube tell me there are virtually none), but It's certainly a great way to play 8/16 bit Sega games and I'm really enjoying exploring the library.

I paid £41.49 customs (the letter is still on my desk). That's for the console only, no controller, Analogue website to the UK.

I'm really tempted to buy a Super NT now. And I really wish they'd do a PC Engine version, though it might not quite have the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I've just purchased the 2020 annual, due to ordering a TheC64 from Germany and being really interested in the C64 again. Any chance of getting me the 2019 annual that's out of stock? Saw one on Ebay but it went for over £20.
        Sadly not, Chris is genuinely sold out. Future hold the licence to all of Newsfield's old properties, so Chris, Roger and Oli literally have to negotiate to use the Crash, Zzap etc names for each publication. I'm sure Future get a tiny cut of each sale. I imagine there is a stipulation in the agreement that Chris is only allowed to print X copies of each annual. Pretty much all his other books have had reprints.
        Last edited by Mayhem; 17-01-2020, 17:06.
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Spectrum Next > TheC64

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            Spectrum Next > TheC64
            I don't even think the two are comparable. Mega65 versus Spectrum Next is where the battle should be.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
              I don't even think the two are comparable. Mega65 versus Spectrum Next is where the battle should be.
              I have a Speccy Next ordered and I am considering the Mega65 too but it does look like it will be a while before the 65 is available in finished form. And you have to wonder just how much it will cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                Sadly not, Chris is genuinely sold out. Pretty much all his other books have had reprints.
                OK, I will have to keep looking out for one on Ebay. I'll have to pay a bit more, but it's worth it.

Comment

New model OSSC on the way the OSSC Pro.

Loads of info here https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65892

Highlights of the new design:

ISL51002 video ADC:
                  * improved sync processing robustness
                  * reduced sampling jitter with DPLL
                  * fine-grained video LPF
                  * automatic sampling phase adjustment

Cyclone V FPGA (5CEFA5F23C8N):
                  * higher performance and more resources
                  * hard memory controller
                  * large number of IOs

Clocking and memory improvements:
                  * Si5351C clock generator for accurate output pixel clock generation (framelock or free-running)
                  * 512MB LPDDR2 RAM and 16MB QSPI flash

New AV inputs:
                  * HDMI
                  * SPDIF (optical)

2x20 pin GPIO connector for future expansion possibilities such as:
                  * composite & s-video input module
                  * secondary video output (e.g. VGA) module
                  * latency tester interface module
                  * game controller port module (for using OSSC Pro as a dedicated FPGA console)

The processing modes enabled by the HW can be split roughly into three types:

1. Pure line multiplier
                  * both active and blanking lines multiplied - basically what original OSSC does
                  * simplest mode with least latency

2. Adaptive line multiplier
                  * visible lines are multiplied but horizontal & vertical total matched to standard timings
                  * high compatibility with minimal latency overhead (1-30 lines typically)
                  * enables some new output configurations such as 4x240p/2x480p in standard 1080p frame

3. Scaler
                  * higher flexibility via LPDDR2 utilization
                  * HQ deinterlacing
                  * non-integer scaling
                  * rotation
                  * refresh rate conversion

One of these with a good scart switch and a 2020 LG OLED TV with the super low (<5ms!) input lag and 120Hz rolling BFI sounds like retro heaven.

Comment

Trailer for the forthcoming Bomberland 64 by Samar Productions. Available soon from RGCD on physical Commodore 64 cartridge and as a downloadable rom image f...

I've been getting back into C64 gaming and enjoying some modern homebrew titles. This version of Bomberman has really impressed me. Another modern 8-bit game that's well worth playing,

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wRVizRda4I

I've been getting back into C64 gaming and enjoying some modern homebrew titles. This version of Bomberman has really impressed me. Another modern 8-bit game that's well worth playing,
                      Have you checked out SoulForce from Sarah Jane Avory?

She's updating it all the time and it looks mighty impressive. Plenty of videos on her Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        Have you checked out SoulForce from Sarah Jane Avory?

She's updating it all the time and it looks mighty impressive. Plenty of videos on her Twitter.
                        https://twitter.com/SarahJaneAvory
                        Bloody hell... that looks awesome! Can't wait to play it. I'll also download her previous shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          New model OSSC on the way the OSSC Pro.

Loads of info here https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65892

3. Scaler

* rotation

This right here is the most interesting aspect to me. To be able to play TATE games without having to physically rotate the display will be fantastic.

I'm a Framemeister guy, but I could certainly be tempted by the Pro...

Comment

In some exciting cable news, Retro Gaming Cables now have some new component cables in. Whilst I didn't technically need one, I bought one for my Saturn to connect it to my Framemeister. This was purely for my own convenience/laziness, as my DC and Saturn were sharing the Framemeister's RGB input. It works great, and looks every bit as good as SCART. The Framemeister of course needs as adaptor for a component connection, as it does for SCART, but it's a less common one as it connects to the D5 port. They're on Amazon if you fancy one.

Comment

Retrotink 2x SCART is on the way, relatively cheap and simple device that should cater for the majority of people I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                                Thanks for that CMcK, I've got a real hankering for the SG and trying to justify it to myself.
                                The Limited Edition Version of the SG is sold out on the US store but seems to be still available directly from Hyperdub in the UK, so no import charges, it’s pretty cool looking imo and with a snazzy matching clear controller..

Comment

Working...
                                X