Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sega Saturn games no one should let pass by?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sega Saturn games no one should let pass by?

Sega Saturn passed me by. I played Sega Rally a bit at my mates. Which was cool. However, I went full PlayStation and never looked back.

Recently I have discovered that the Saturn has a library of great shmups which I'm slowly checking out. I also like the look of Guardian Heroes.

I'm interested to know what you guys here think are some great Saturn games that need to be checked out?

Depends on how you fare with the way some stuff has aged and whether you ever played the stuff that was ported but out the gate:

Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Nights into Dreams
    Burning Rangers
    Guardian Heries
    Dark Saviour
    Deep Fear
    Die Hard Arcade
    Radiant Silvergun
    Silhouette Mirage
    Story of Thor 2

Comment

Yeah, some of the Saturn output has aged considerably. I think that's a good list above with the caveat that some were even a bit rough around the edges in their day, such as Burning Rangers. I feel it's a real shame we haven't seen a remake or sequel to that game. I'd probably skip the first Panzer Dragoon and jump straight into the sequel for that reason. It's a better game in just about every way.

I'd also add Exhumed. It came out on the PS1 but was better on the Saturn and, if you haven't played it, is one of the finest 3D FPS/platforming games ever made in my opinion.

While you probably play them on other systems, it's worth noting that the Saturn was a great home to a lot of the Capcom VS games and they're fantastic on the system.

Comment

Souky
        Exhumed
        Die Hard Arcade
        Decathlete
        Winter Heat
        Sega Rally
        Virtual Cop 1 & 2
        AMOK
        Mass Destruction
        Fighters Mega Mix
        Gun Griffon
        Panzer Dragoon 1 and II
        Astal
        Shinobi
        Steep Slope Sliders
        Deep Fear
        XMen COTA
        Skeleton Warriors
        VF Remix and VF 2
        Last Bronix

Are games one can pick up and not cost the earth

Comment

Gun Frontier

Comment

Layer Section
            Elevator Action Returns
            Manx TT

Comment

I’m assuming you’re burning games and not buying them:

Radiant Silvergun
              Stellar Assault SS
              Taromaru
              Panzer Dragoon Saga
              NiGHTS into Dreams

Tried to keep to the Saturn exclusives otherwise there are some great arcade conversions such as Dodonpachi, SNK games, D&D, Elevator Action Returns etc

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Yeah, some of the Saturn output has aged considerably.
                Yeah, partially due to its reliance on arcade titles. For instance, I think it had the finest fighters of its era; however, do they really stack up against the ones that followed? I'm uncertain. The bulk of the games I would own, if I had a Saturn collection, are those which have nostalgia for me as a teenager during its heyday.

However, there are definitely titles which are still worth it.

• Guardian Heroes is a unique title that has not been surpassed, because there really isn't much else like it.
                • Gungriffon; the sequels didn't really improve on it, and it still plays very well despite the technical limitations.
                • Die Hard Arcade; again, pretty unique. Probably better than the Dreamcast sequel though that's fun too.
                • Panzer Dragoon Zwei. Great game, and while the original and Orta exist, that's no reason not to play this one as they're all fun. May be the machine's best-looking 3D game overall.
                • Decathlete/Athlete Kings, IMO still the best athletics game ever made. Someone needs to tell the team who made the Mario & Sonic games. There's also Winter Heat, which is basically the same concept but for the Winter games; personally I don't think its as good, some people like it more. It's great regardless.
                • Mystara, which is meant to be great, if you like SRPGs. I never played it but I've had people rave about over the years.
                • Street Fighter Alpha 2, probably the definitive home version of this (though the PS2 version seemed fine; someone will probably correct me in a bit), but certainly it was the best at the time. This is important as many people much prefer it to SF Alpha 3, something I shared at the time but don't share now.
                • Virtua Cop 1&2 if you have a CRT and guns; these are genuinely among the greatest light-gun games ever made and stand up extremely well, even today.

I can't recommend Daytona USA, Fighting Vipers or Virtua Fighter 2 as I'd rather play the PS3 versions of these, which I believe are arcade-perfect, or certainly closer than the Saturn version (though if you're interested in gaming from a historic/technical progress level, all three games are "noteworthy" on the Saturn, particularly Virtua Fighter 2 for just how smooth and clean it looks; it was a tech marvel).

Another would be Nights ~Into Dreams, but the PS3 version of that is pretty good too. It was bad on-launch, but it was later patched, and I think it's the definitive version; better even than the PS2 version.

Some will pick Fighters Megamix; I'd say that if you love the Saturn-era fighters, it's pure fan-service and definitely worth it, but if you're so-so, then probably avoid it. It's a tonally weird fighter which throws a bunch of characters from different backgrounds together (mainly the Virtua Fighter and Fighting Vipers characters, but a few others too) and was something of a swan-song.

Another would be Virtual On, which was my single favourite Saturn game. I can't really recommend it as it's just such a niche thing... But if you're a Gundam fan, or generally like arena fighters, it's really fun, and in truth, I always preferred the first one over the various sequels.

Comment

Hyper Duel
                  Keio Flying Squadron 2

Comment

D and Enemy Zero are weird, clunky, slow, but really interesting and atmospheric games by Kenji Eno’s Warp. Really unique. Enemy Zero can’t be played anywhere else AFAIK.

EDIT: and yeah, burning games to CD-R is the way to go. A lot of the software is ridiculously expensive now.

Comment

Nearly all the shoot 'em ups are worth playing.

Batsugun
                      Battle Garegga
                      Darius Gaiden
                      Dodonpachi
                      Guardian Force
                      Radiant Silvergun
                      Soukyugurentai

Astal
                      Elevator Action Returns
                      Fighters Megamix
                      Keio Flying Squadron 2
                      Last Bronx
                      Manx TT
                      Sega Rally
                      Shinobi
                      Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        D and Enemy Zero are weird, clunky, slow, but really interesting and atmospheric games by Kenji Eno’s Warp. Really unique. Enemy Zero can’t be played anywhere else AFAIK.

EDIT: and yeah, burning games to CD-R is the way to go. A lot of the software is ridiculously expensive now.
                        Enemy Zero got a really good PC port, but it's probably not available anywhere.

Comment

I'll do a few suggestions broken down by genre with my thoughts.

Fighting
                          Virtua Fighter series - There's four games, 1/Remix/2/Kids. VF2 is worth anyone owning, even if you're not into fighting games much, because it's a real technical powerhouse. The others are probably optional, but there's every chance you could get the whole lot and have change from a tenner so it's not much of a gamble. Remix is basically a redone version of 1 with more textures which most people prefer, though I prefer 1 as it looks more true to the arcade game (to my eyes). VF Kids is a bit daft.
                          Fighting Vipers - Sega offered this as an alternative to VF, it's a lot more pick-up-and-play than VF which can feel overly technical. I like both in their own way. Get the Japanese version so you can play as Pepsi Man.
                          Cyber-Troopers: Virtual-On - One-on-one giant robot fighting game that can be optionally played using the twin sticks accessory, some people insist you require it but honestly I never did and I played it just fine.
                          Also worth checking - Fighters Megamix, Last Bronx, Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty
                          Also not worth checking - FIST

Beat-em-up
                          Three Dirty Dwarves - It's kind of half beat-em-up and sidescrolling platformer, you switch between three characters. Really nice artwork and was very underrated at the time but goes for good money now to the point where I can't really afford to buy it (I borrowed it off a mate back in the day). Lots of cool effects in it. Recommended!
                          Die Hard Arcade - Port of the arcade game, really goofy and daft and I love it. It wasn't the most beautiful game even back in the day, but it's great fun to play, especially two player. Very brief as you'd expect!

Action
                          Mass Destruction - Tank game that has been championed by me and TA for absolutely years. It's a bit like the "Strike" series but more focused on all-out action rather than strategy, you just go round blowing the hell out of everything and filling the screen with beautiful explosions. The Saturn one is better than the PS1 version but either are good really, just play it!
                          Saturn Bomberman - One of the best multiplayer games on the system and a really great entry into the series generally, I'm not particularly bothered about the single player but I had a lot of fun one summer playing this with my mates. With multi-taps you can do up to 10 players which is mental.
                          Crimewave - Weapons-based vehicle game playing from a moving sort-of isometric view. I think this game is really cool with great graphics, but it does struggle with the FPS quite a lot. It's a shame because I think it has a lot to offer. I still like it anyway.
                          Also look at: Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon 1/2, Elevator Action Returns

Driving/Racing
                          Sega Rally Championship - Absolutely holds up to this day, even better if you've got the 3D pad (still fun without). The Saturn version has the best handling of any version including the arcade in my opinion. Fantastic soundtrack too, I play it in the car to reduce my commuting times.
                          The Need for Speed - Nothing like the rest of the series, the first one is a semi-serious thing in the vein of the early Test Drive games. The meat of the game is racing point-to-point courses on roads full of traffic, often being pursued by police! It's really fun and the Saturn version is slightly better than the PS1 version. Also, if you're a massive nerd of this game, look at Overdrivin GT-R which is the exact same game just with Nissans (and no traffic).
                          OutRun - Available as a standalone Japanese release or part of Sega Ages Vol 1 (with Space Harrier and Afterburner II), I feel this is the definitive home port as later versions they butcher the car sprite into something else out of fear for licensing which is a bit like changing Sonic or Mario into some other guy. Be warned if you're getting the standalone one - for some reason it doesn't work on some newer versions of the Saturn.
                          Also look at: Chase H.Q. and S.C.I, Touge King The Spirits 2, Manx TT Superbike

RPG
                          Dark Savior - Action RPG related to Landstalker with an isometric view but it's a mixture of 3D and sprites. It's more based around puzzles/platforming than actual fights (which aren't that often really). It has different story paths depending on a few things so there's a lot of replay value if you want to see it all. The main baddie is a monster called Bilal, not to be confused with this other guy called Bilal who I did a temporary warehouse job with in the early 2000s. It's a fantastic game, with the exception of the mine cart section which is one of the worst things of any game ever (not exaggerating).
                          Story of Thor 2 - Another action-orientated one which feels like an extensive graphical update to the first one which was on the Mega Drive. Very nice artwork as you go running around clobbering things, good soundtrack too. I only have vague memories of it as it's been years since I played it, would like to pick it up again.
                          Virtual Hydlide - This choice is completely indefensible but I have a weird love for this awful game. You're a guy running around a very choppy environment with white fog everywhere. Hideously ugly digitised sprites and the guy you control walks round like he's crapped himself (seriously). Music is warbly and weird and a bit nonsensical. But it has some kind of bizarre charm that I can't explain, even to myself. At least play it until you get the Fairy Armour, that's a real moment.

Platform
                          Clockwork Knight 1/2 - They're basically one game divided into two, it's an early 2.5D platformer which is pretty easy but I still think it's good fun. Second one is better than the first.
                          Keio Flying Squadron 2 - Absolutely beautiful platformer that I could never, ever afford to buy now and desperately tried to get back in the day to no avail, ringing all the mail order places and what-not to no avail. Not sure I've even seen a real copy. However, I had that demo that was on some disc everyone had and I so badly wanted it. Still do.

Sports
                          Athlete Kings (Decathlete) - Track and Field type game, a really good arcade port that looks excellent and is full of goofy characters. I'm not hugely into this style of game but I'm fond of this one.
                          Winter Heat - Same as the above, but with winter events! If you like one you'll like the other.
                          Steep Slope Sliders - Snowboarding game somewhat surprisingly developed by Cave. If you like Coolboarders, then you should definitely try this. I actually prefer it!
                          Also look at: International Victory Goal (just for the soundtrack)

Rail Shooters
                          Virtua Cop 1/2 - If you've got the means to play with a lightgun (and arguably even if you don't), these are a must buy. They're not a perfect port of the arcade, but they're easily good enough.
                          The House of the Dead - It's a bit rough-looking nowadays but it still plays very well.
                          Also avoid like hell: Death Crimson

Misc
                          Nights Into Dreams
                          - Slightly divisive but clearly quite carefully-created game where you fly around collecting orbs. I don't love it, but I like it. It's better with the 3D pad. If you like it, also get Christmas Nights, which is basically a glorified demo with lots of extra content.
                          Baku Baku Animal - Shape-based puzzle with bloody weird music. I'm rubbish at these types of games, but I still like playing them now and again.
                          Also consider: Blast Chamber, Sonic Jam, Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series: Shun Di

Hope this helps, my only other advice as somebody who is getting back into the Saturn is that Japanese titles go for buttons compared to their PAL counterparts and are much more likely to be in decent condition just due to the awful PAL boxes. It's also worth having that Action Replay cartridge which consolidates region unlocking, 1M/4M RAM carts and save game backup into one item. It's (incredibly) still readily available as a new product, rumour is that they're still in production somewhere.

Comment

Pretty much everything Capcom made for it.

...okay, maybe not Final Fight Revenge!

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                              I'll do a few suggestions broken down by genre with my thoughts.

Fighting
                              Virtua Fighter series - There's four games, 1/Remix/2/Kids. VF2 is worth anyone owning, even if you're not into fighting games much, because it's a real technical powerhouse. The others are probably optional, but there's every chance you could get the whole lot and have change from a tenner so it's not much of a gamble. Remix is basically a redone version of 1 with more textures which most people prefer, though I prefer 1 as it looks more true to the arcade game (to my eyes). VF Kids is a bit daft.
                              Fighting Vipers - Sega offered this as an alternative to VF, it's a lot more pick-up-and-play than VF which can feel overly technical. I like both in their own way. Get the Japanese version so you can play as Pepsi Man.
                              Cyber-Troopers: Virtual-On - One-on-one giant robot fighting game that can be optionally played using the twin sticks accessory, some people insist you require it but honestly I never did and I played it just fine.
                              Also worth checking - Fighters Megamix, Last Bronx, Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty
                              Also not worth checking - FIST

Beat-em-up
                              Three Dirty Dwarves - It's kind of half beat-em-up and sidescrolling platformer, you switch between three characters. Really nice artwork and was very underrated at the time but goes for good money now to the point where I can't really afford to buy it (I borrowed it off a mate back in the day). Lots of cool effects in it. Recommended!
                              Die Hard Arcade - Port of the arcade game, really goofy and daft and I love it. It wasn't the most beautiful game even back in the day, but it's great fun to play, especially two player. Very brief as you'd expect!

Action
                              Mass Destruction - Tank game that has been championed by me and TA for absolutely years. It's a bit like the "Strike" series but more focused on all-out action rather than strategy, you just go round blowing the hell out of everything and filling the screen with beautiful explosions. The Saturn one is better than the PS1 version but either are good really, just play it!
                              Saturn Bomberman - One of the best multiplayer games on the system and a really great entry into the series generally, I'm not particularly bothered about the single player but I had a lot of fun one summer playing this with my mates. With multi-taps you can do up to 10 players which is mental.
                              Crimewave - Weapons-based vehicle game playing from a moving sort-of isometric view. I think this game is really cool with great graphics, but it does struggle with the FPS quite a lot. It's a shame because I think it has a lot to offer. I still like it anyway.
                              Also look at: Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon 1/2, Elevator Action Returns

Driving/Racing
                              Sega Rally Championship - Absolutely holds up to this day, even better if you've got the 3D pad (still fun without). The Saturn version has the best handling of any version including the arcade in my opinion. Fantastic soundtrack too, I play it in the car to reduce my commuting times.
                              The Need for Speed - Nothing like the rest of the series, the first one is a semi-serious thing in the vein of the early Test Drive games. The meat of the game is racing point-to-point courses on roads full of traffic, often being pursued by police! It's really fun and the Saturn version is slightly better than the PS1 version. Also, if you're a massive nerd of this game, look at Overdrivin GT-R which is the exact same game just with Nissans (and no traffic).
                              OutRun - Available as a standalone Japanese release or part of Sega Ages Vol 1 (with Space Harrier and Afterburner II), I feel this is the definitive home port as later versions they butcher the car sprite into something else out of fear for licensing which is a bit like changing Sonic or Mario into some other guy. Be warned if you're getting the standalone one - for some reason it doesn't work on some newer versions of the Saturn.
                              Also look at: Chase H.Q. and S.C.I, Touge King The Spirits 2, Manx TT Superbike

RPG
                              Dark Savior - Action RPG related to Landstalker with an isometric view but it's a mixture of 3D and sprites. It's more based around puzzles/platforming than actual fights (which aren't that often really). It has different story paths depending on a few things so there's a lot of replay value if you want to see it all. The main baddie is a monster called Bilal, not to be confused with this other guy called Bilal who I did a temporary warehouse job with in the early 2000s. It's a fantastic game, with the exception of the mine cart section which is one of the worst things of any game ever (not exaggerating).
                              Story of Thor 2 - Another action-orientated one which feels like an extensive graphical update to the first one which was on the Mega Drive. Very nice artwork as you go running around clobbering things, good soundtrack too. I only have vague memories of it as it's been years since I played it, would like to pick it up again.
                              Virtual Hydlide - This choice is completely indefensible but I have a weird love for this awful game. You're a guy running around a very choppy environment with white fog everywhere. Hideously ugly digitised sprites and the guy you control walks round like he's crapped himself (seriously). Music is warbly and weird and a bit nonsensical. But it has some kind of bizarre charm that I can't explain, even to myself. At least play it until you get the Fairy Armour, that's a real moment.

Platform
                              Clockwork Knight 1/2 - They're basically one game divided into two, it's an early 2.5D platformer which is pretty easy but I still think it's good fun. Second one is better than the first.
                              Keio Flying Squadron 2 - Absolutely beautiful platformer that I could never, ever afford to buy now and desperately tried to get back in the day to no avail, ringing all the mail order places and what-not to no avail. Not sure I've even seen a real copy. However, I had that demo that was on some disc everyone had and I so badly wanted it. Still do.

Sports
                              Athlete Kings (Decathlete) - Track and Field type game, a really good arcade port that looks excellent and is full of goofy characters. I'm not hugely into this style of game but I'm fond of this one.
                              Winter Heat - Same as the above, but with winter events! If you like one you'll like the other.
                              Steep Slope Sliders - Snowboarding game somewhat surprisingly developed by Cave. If you like Coolboarders, then you should definitely try this. I actually prefer it!
                              Also look at: International Victory Goal (just for the soundtrack)

Rail Shooters
                              Virtua Cop 1/2 - If you've got the means to play with a lightgun (and arguably even if you don't), these are a must buy. They're not a perfect port of the arcade, but they're easily good enough.
                              The House of the Dead - It's a bit rough-looking nowadays but it still plays very well.
                              Also avoid like hell: Death Crimson

Misc
                              Nights Into Dreams
                              - Slightly divisive but clearly quite carefully-created game where you fly around collecting orbs. I don't love it, but I like it. It's better with the 3D pad. If you like it, also get Christmas Nights, which is basically a glorified demo with lots of extra content.
                              Baku Baku Animal - Shape-based puzzle with bloody weird music. I'm rubbish at these types of games, but I still like playing them now and again.
                              Also consider: Blast Chamber, Sonic Jam, Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series: Shun Di

Hope this helps, my only other advice as somebody who is getting back into the Saturn is that Japanese titles go for buttons compared to their PAL counterparts and are much more likely to be in decent condition just due to the awful PAL boxes. It's also worth having that Action Replay cartridge which consolidates region unlocking, 1M/4M RAM carts and save game backup into one item. It's (incredibly) still readily available as a new product, rumour is that they're still in production somewhere.
                              Top post.

Comment

Working...
                              X