Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What you getting yourself for Christmas 2019?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you getting yourself for Christmas 2019?

Christmas is about what I get isn't it? What am I getting? I dunno. What are you getting? haha

I'm toying with the idea of getting an OP-Z sequencer synthesizer or maybe game and peripherals or maybe and cheap xboxone with Game Pass...

Already bought 2 Switches and a PS4 for the kids so maybe I best just get socks so we can eat on Christmas day

I bought myself a Pomera DM30...

It's an e-ink based electronic typewriter. No WiFi, no Bluetooth, no apps, no browser - just .txt file creation on a nice little keyboard with an eye-friendly, non backlit, non LCD screen.

Might seem silly - why not just use a laptop, or a tablet with a keyboard, or any myriad other things? - but I really liked the idea of something distraction-free and writing-focused for second drafts of pieces I'm working on. And, plus, it's Christmas, and I work like a dog, so eff it.

It runs on Panasonic Eneloops and you get your files off it either via USB cable, SD card, or by QR card (you can turn any file into a QR code you then simply scan).

It's only available in Japan but has an English language option. I ordered it from Amazon Japan and it came yesterday - I really like it, love the feel of the keyboard and the folding action. Unfortunately, and it's honestly hugely disappointing, but mine is defective. The left hand side of the keyboard does not fully fold out. The right side does - it opens out, the little leg folds out automatically, and it sits perfectly flush with the desk - but the left side has about a half centimetre gap between the supporting leg and the table.

It just kinda just dangles there, and as you type on it you can feel the left side flex the whole time, instead of feeling flat and rock solid like the right hand side.

So, it's effed basically. It's a small-but-huge defect that means I'm going to have to return it and order again.

What a bummer!
    Last edited by wakka; 12-12-2019, 10:53.

Comment

That's a nifty looking thing

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        I bought myself a Pomera DM30...

Well I hope you get replaced with a good one. I've got a friend who would love one of those.

This is mainly why I posted this thread. To see what cool stuff I might have missed.

Comment

Thanks guys, yeah, it's a really cool device. There is an American product called the FreeWrite that serves a similar purpose, except it's ugly as sin and about three times the price.

Fortunately with it being Amazon Japan the return and reorder process should be fairly easy/smooth. If it was YesAsia or something I'd be completely up **** creek without a paddle.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Thanks guys, yeah, it's a really cool device. There is an American product called the FreeWrite that serves a similar purpose, except it's ugly as sin and about three times the price.

Fortunately with it being Amazon Japan the return and reorder process should be fairly easy/smooth. If it was YesAsia or something I'd be completely up **** creek without a paddle.
            Years ago I bought a Psion Series 5 for this purpose, but I ended up getting rid as it was so difficult to get the files off it.

Comment

I usually get myself something, but other than a secret Famicom game trade I'm not doing anything this year. My money has been absorbed by decorating and saving up as I'm off to Thailand in January. Might get a game or two when I'm there though, there's a couple of interesting retro game places.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                I usually get myself something, but other than a secret Famicom game trade I'm not doing anything this year. My money has been absorbed by decorating and saving up as I'm off to Thailand in January. Might get a game or two when I'm there though, there's a couple of interesting retro game places.
                A secret fammydodd?!

Comment

Further in debt

Comment

Well...I was bidding on this, but it went waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy past my financial reality:

So I bid on this and won:

It's broken, so I'm hoping to fix it before Christmas.

Of course if the custom I/O is broken, then I'll have a massive door wedge

Comment

I've already bought mine, a FM Towns II Fresh. My tower model is beyond fixing.

Comment

I got an Ultimate 64 Elite.

Comment

I wanted HeroQuest, but not for 150 quid. This will make do (it's a vastly better game, anyway).

Comment

A few Xbox One games: Bloodstained, Prey and Crackdown 3.

An 8bitdo adapter for the PS1 classic.

Really want a Capcom Home Arcade but they are 500 dollars here and I don't have any need for it.

Boxing Day I'm picking up a 65 inch LG OLED C9.

Comment

Gonna get myself a £25 Xbox gift card and JUST spend it on cheap indie games (or games with small file sizes) I can just download and play on the same day.

I'm hoping there'll already be a post-Xmas sale on and I can nab like at least 12+ little games that I will probably never care about but will be great fun to switch between on Chrimble.

Nowt like the rosy feeling of having 7 or more fresh new games to play on Xmas day.

Comment

Working...
                              X