Need a TV for Watching...TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a TV for Watching...TV

I need a TV for my lounge. I'm looking at picking up a 75 inch model in the post Xmas sales here in NZ. Don't need it for gaming at all so I'm thinking LED will be fine. Is Samsung, Sony or LG the best bet for this type of set? In the 80s and 90s I always had Sony CRTs but my flat panels have usually been Samsung. My OLED will be an LG. So, I'm at a bit of a loss for this general purpose screen.

Samsung would probably be your best bet in that size.

Comment

Make sure it is a FALD set at that size. Even then, depending how far you are sat, you will find that the sides start to look a bit washed out.

Samsung Q9FN from 2018 would be my choice along with the Sony ZD9. The newer Samsung Q90r has better veiwing angles but blacks are not great and that is so important to get an image that has true depth.

I run an OLED as my main set, but have a sony XE9005 as my smaller set, which I love.

I bought a Qled The Frame the other day for a new room, it was crap, basically a Samsung Q60r with a nicer design (slightly better specced than Q60r) but looked washed out an awful. Swapped for a Q80r and still preferred my Sony, so picked up an XG90, but my 2017 XE90 was still better so picked up an XF90, which is the 2018 model, same set, just better processor for the apps etc.
      Both run Android 8.0 though.

So in 75" I would look at a Samsung Q9FN, Sony XE9004, Sony ZD9 or a Sony XE/XF9005.

Model numbers may vary slightly being in NZ.
      In the states they call the XE90 the X90E for example.

I have gamed constantly on my OLEDs, never been an issue.
      The only issue I have is I watch the news every day with ticker tape running along the bottom.
      After two years I get where I can see it as pixel wear (red pixels wear quicker on oled than the others) and after 3 years I start to see it on the very odd scene during viewing.
      At 4 years I will buy another one.

But, with gaming it has never been an issue.

OLED is superior, however, I could happily live with the top end Sony LCDs.

Comment

Just read you don't need it for gaming.

Don't even think about it, just buy an OLED then.

The one thing OLED does better is HDR, I hate HDR on every LCD I have seen, the fact the backlight is cranked to max for HDR to work is LCDs downfall too.

I would also have a 65" OLED over any 75" LCD.

Comment

I have zero worth to add to this thread, but I'm tittering to myself that the list of previous posters sounds like a folk song...

"With a hey nonny, gizze jaz, gizze nonny, hey!"

Comment

It's on the rough horizon to get a new TV for the living room for us and when it does come around we're also going to try and go for a massive set. More than happy to get an LCD 1080p one to keep costs down too as until TV channels abandon SD as the default the need for extra is minimal. Save that £££ for the gaming TV

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I have zero worth to add to this thread, but I'm tittering to myself that the list of previous posters sounds like a folk song...

Hahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                It's on the rough horizon to get a new TV for the living room for us and when it does come around we're also going to try and go for a massive set. More than happy to get an LCD 1080p one to keep costs down too as until TV channels abandon SD as the default the need for extra is minimal. Save that £££ for the gaming TV

Problem is, only the 4K HDR sets get the tech that make an LCD any good put in them.

Something like a Panasonic DX902B in 65" which you can pick up used for around a grand makes more sense.

Comment

[QUOTE=QualityChimp;2343833]I have zero worth to add to this thread, but I'm tittering to myself that the list of previous posters sounds like a folk song...

[/QU

Love it... My nickname actually comes from Blackadder II when he falls in love with his servant... Hey nonny nonny.... So you're bang on the money!!

Comment

Excellent! Ha ha ha!

At work, we've just had an 86" LG UHD TV 86UM76.
                    It's really nice, but I can't help but think it'd be happier in my home than in the board room.

Tested it out with the 1080p Top Gun 2 trailer and it looked lovely!

Comment

Working...
                    X