Holy grail collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wools View Post
    Although I never searched to the ends of the Earth, I was always after a copy of Gals Fighters on the Neo Geo Pocket Colour and could never find one! I got addicted to the handheld after buying a new console and started buying games for it and although I had a copy of Gals Fighters, it was a cartridge only. I spent some time looking for a boxed copy, even adding a wanted thread or 2 on NTSC-UK, but never found one.
    My friend has that, boxed with manual, dunno if he'd sell it because he never sells anything. I have nothing I really want anymore, what I love the look of is consoles or computers in new looking boxed condition, especially Megadrives, PC Engines and probably a Spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
      My friend has that, boxed with manual, dunno if he'd sell it because he never sells anything. I have nothing I really want anymore, what I love the look of is consoles or computers in new looking boxed condition, especially Megadrives, PC Engines and probably a Spectrum.
      I would love to see some photos of that, does he have a NGPC collection too?

I had a quick look on eBay and sure enough, the UK site finds only 2 boxed copies, but both are Japanese versions and not the UK release. This one is being offered for around £150!

I've been out of the game collecting mindset for a good 5 - 10 years now but must admit, GALS Fighters is the 1 game I always wanted but never owned. I was fortunate enough to own every rare or collectable game I ever seriously wanted, but that was the game that I could never find. It feels like unfinished business...

Comment

I used to have a UK Gals Fighters along with a nice little collection of other UK games like Faselei and Cotton. I foolishly flogged them to a collectibles shop in the local market for pittance. The amount of heresies I’ve committed selling rare games in the past is pretty unforgivable, haha.

Comment

Where to start?

I’ve had wondermegas, a laseractive, a panny q, an RGB’ed duo R, a vectrex, RGB modded sfc jr, massive Japanese collections of software for these units and gawd knows what else. All gone now though. Some of it very hard to replace (unless you have a fat wallet) and now selling x5 what I sold them for!

I still have some really nice hardware though, including my consolized hyper 64 fighting board and atomiswave. (As well as some nice sticks and sealed stuff)

My real grail collection is in professional crt monitors though. There is some serious top end stuff in there, that even Sherlock Holmes would have a hard job tracking some of it down!

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
            I used to have a UK Gals Fighters along with a nice little collection of other UK games like Faselei and Cotton. I foolishly flogged them to a collectibles shop in the local market for pittance. The amount of heresies I’ve committed selling rare games in the past is pretty unforgivable, haha.
            Flogged my brand new complete UK NGPC collection for £700 to get married

Not divorced yet, so it was probably the right decision

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
              Flogged my brand new complete UK NGPC collection for £700 to get married

Not divorced yet, so it was probably the right decision
              Erk! What you reckon it worth now?

Comment

I don't want to know!

Comment

I've owned most of the grail stuff I wanted and inevitably sold it. Wouldn't have minded one of the NOS Robotron cocktails that appeared a few years back, that said could have purchased one and didn't as would rarely play it I reckon. As such don't really have any grail stuff as it's all stuff that would sit there for a few months before I sold it.
                  3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
                    Oh mate, I would have snapped it off you!

I've commited some sins too, when I was overwhelemed with my collection and in the process of selling it all off, I had so many people lowball me on prices and at one point, was left with several large boxes of stuff that just wouldn't sell. I gave various bits to my Brother and mates, but half of the boxes I gave to charity just to get rid of the burnden of so much ****.

Comment

No games are holy grail for me. Like some here, I’ve had rare/collectible stuff in the past for NGPC, AES, PCE, Saturn etc that I sold off for comparative pittance almost 15 years ago now and just keep a modest collection for my main consoles which are the MD and SNES.

I would however like 2 or 3 candy cabs, either one vert with a single stick and one hori with dual sticks, or better still 2 horis with single sticks in B2B config and a single vert. And for those cabs I would like boards for 3S, MotW, ESP RaDe and Dodonpachi. That’s me done, forever!

Comment

I would love to see some photos of that, does he have a NGPC collection too? I had a quick look on eBay and sure enough, the UK site finds only 2 boxed copies, but both are Japanese versions and not the UK release. This one is being offered for around £150! I've been out of the game collecting mindset for a good 5 - 10 years now but must admit, GALS Fighters is the 1 game I always wanted but never owned. I was fortunate enough to own every rare or collectable game I ever seriously wanted, but that was the game that I could never find. It feels like unfinished business...
                        He has a small NGPC selection of games, most probably UK as he only bought import Saturn titles. He'll only give me a pic if he decides to sell it, I actually did ask him but he said no for now. All this stuff is just boxed up, never to be touched, same as most stuff I had. Collecting seems a bit pointless to me now, especially with all these new youtube characters.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          Collecting seems a bit pointless to me now
                          That's my take.

I used to spend a fortune, importing games, buying games new and buying other games from collectors.

Now, my PC can play all modern games and emulate almost all the games I want to play well, perfectly or in some cases, far better than the original hardware ever could. With that progress, spending £50 on a mint game for a random machine that requires an old TV to look nice and with an ever depleting pool of controllers and hardware, feels less attractive by the day.

I still get a thrill looking at old consoles, PC's and games in the wild but the ease and convenience of a modern PC outweighs any small issues when getting the original hardware and games working to a way I like it (New controllers, HDMI converter that doesn't suck, dealing with things that stop working) just isn't worth it for me.

As such, I now take so much pride in my digital collection of emulated systems than any old consoles. GALS Fighters and Panzer Dragoon Saga may be my unconquered grails, but much like other milestones to aim for in life, the chase is sometimes more fun than the goal. I'll stick with my 2070 RTX PC, ReDream Emulator and comfortable Xbox One controller thanks.

Comment

The only thing I can think of (and I could never justify it) is the Hi-Saturn Navi with the screen. I would install it in a car too. They come up every so often with the screen, but it's a four figure sum. I'd also consider an FM Towns Car Marty!

Comment

That's my take.

I used to spend a fortune, importing games, buying games new and buying other games from collectors.

Now, my PC can play all modern games and emulate almost all the games I want to play well, perfectly or in some cases, far better than the original hardware ever could. With that progress, spending £50 on a mint game for a random machine that requires an old TV to look nice and with an ever depleting pool of controllers and hardware, feels less attractive by the day.

I still get a thrill looking at old consoles, PC's and games in the wild but the ease and convenience of a modern PC outweighs any small issues when getting the original hardware and games working to a way I like it (New controllers, HDMI converter that doesn't suck, dealing with things that stop working) just isn't worth it for me.

As such, I now take so much pride in my digital collection of emulated systems than any old consoles. GALS Fighters and Panzer Dragoon Saga may be my unconquered grails, but much like other milestones to aim for in life, the chase is sometimes more fun than the goal. I'll stick with my 2070 RTX PC, ReDream Emulator and comfortable Xbox One controller thanks.
                              Yeah I know what you mean. I'm happy with the state of emulation, flash carts and retro releases on modern consoles. The thrill and expense of getting retro grails have been somewhat diminished nowadays for me. I have a nice little collection of the games I want the most but the days of big collections are (hopefully) behind me.

Comment

On the NGPC front then I still have my full UK colour set, full Japanese colour set, and full b/w set across both regions. Plus most of the special box set editions and pretty much every peripheral. The only pack I can think of I don’t have is the Ogre Battle combo.

Btw there is a modern microSD flash card solution available through Saint RetroHQ if you just want to play the games on real hardware.
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X