Holy grail collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    On the NGPC front then I still have my full UK colour set, full Japanese colour set, and full b/w set across both regions. Plus most of the special box set editions and pretty much every peripheral. The only pack I can think of I don’t have is the Ogre Battle combo.
    That's cool, did you pick up the games as they were released or after the NGP was discountinued? You got a photo of the UK Colour clam shell games?

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
      That's cool, did you pick up the games as they were released or after the NGP was discountinued? You got a photo of the UK Colour clam shell games?
      I first got one as they were being discounted and started to buy more games in the year or so after. Didn’t properly collect the rest until mid to late 2000s. Can try to take a shot of the shelves with everything on heh.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
        Flogged my brand new complete UK NGPC collection for £700 to get married

Not divorced yet, so it was probably the right decision
        Amen brother. I sold my Jp AES collection (which I think hartley hare might have bought most of) to put a deposit on our first house. It would be worth many times more now but we did pretty well out of the house when we sold it so no regrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
          I’d hate to collect them now, I thankfully finished my set on Pocket Reversi which was a stupid price (and not all that rare). I reckon Pocket Baccarat is the rarest.

Comment

Merry Christmas,

I’m still hunting for mine.
            Eliminate Down and Snow Bros on the Megadrive

Comment

I gave up on Eliminate Down years ago. Nice game though (emulated at least). The other shooter I had on my radar until it got too expensive was Hyper Duel on the Saturn.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                I’d hate to collect them now, I thankfully finished my set on Pocket Reversi which was a stupid price (and not all that rare). I reckon Pocket Baccarat is the rarest.
                Pocket Reversi is the rarest, but it’s the Radiant Silvergun effect to me, people know demand and sell, so you see more copies available. Baccarat is pretty hard to find I will admit, it was the penultimate UK title I got (the last being Dive Alert Becky).
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                  Pocket Reversi is the rarest, but it’s the Radiant Silvergun effect to me, people know demand and sell, so you see more copies available. Baccarat is pretty hard to find I will admit, it was the penultimate UK title I got (the last being Dive Alert Becky).
                  I’ve seen way more Pocket Reversis over the years compared to Baccarat I’ve kept a record of the price I paid for every game. I missed the old days of when they were on amazon for 15 quid each

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
                    I gave up on Eliminate Down years ago. Nice game though (emulated at least). The other shooter I had on my radar until it got too expensive was Hyper Duel on the Saturn.
                    I bought a mint copy of Hyper Duel in Akiba 3 years ago for around £300 if memory serves. I've seen Eliminate Down go for around £150 on private auction sites like Raw Retro.

Comment

I’ve actually bought a lot of my grails because I have more money than sense (and to be fair, I don’t really have that much money).

One that still eludes me is Castlevania on the original Famicom (cart version). I have resigned myself to how much I’ll have to pay but decent condition ones seem to have vanished since I really started looking.

I’ve actually found that if you give yourself a grail focus it stops you buying random stuff, which I have a tendency to do a lot. I’d see something for say £30 and think oh I wouldn’t mind that and buy it. Do this a few times and the next thing you know you’ve spent enough money to get you the grail that you really wanted. So I’m trying to cut that stuff out.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post

One that still eludes me is Castlevania on the original Famicom (cart version). I have resigned myself to how much I’ll have to pay but decent condition ones seem to have vanished since I really started looking.
                        It must feel really annoying to want a retro game now when the prices are so high, and finding a mint condition example isn't so easy. The best time to buy retro gear was between 2000-2010. After that, prices went up and up.

Of course, if you have loads of dosh there are always dealers who have minty retro goods at exorbitant prices. It can feel very much like an antiques market these days.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-12-2019, 19:46.

Comment

I can certainly see why people would rather emulate than go through the hassle of trying to play originals it's so many layers of hassle. It's crazy how bad the market has been corrupted especially for retro. Anything in a cardboard box becomes hard as hell to find mint stuff and the same goes for anything disk based. Don't even get me started on people that leave their stuff in the window for years so all the colours are bleached out yet fail to mention it in auctions. I seriously doubt the bubble will ever burst, even games that were released in their millions have stupid prices attached when eventually all the cheap copies are bought up all that remains is the grossly overpriced stuff. Once again you can place a lot of this blame on youtube, back in the day it was never as bad as this sure some games commanded high prices but nothing like now.

It's been interesting to read through what you all have as grail items some of you have expensive tastes hehe

Comment

I’m not too bad, the game doesn’t have to be mint but it can’t be knackered either.
                            One stipulation I have is that if you’re paying that kind of money, it has to be in a ‘good’ condition.

Comment

Thinking about it while I don't collect as much as I used to, if I was to have a grail it'd be a complete set of Metal Slug's on the AES. The only hurdle, and it's a big one, would be price. While 2 - 5 are a steal between 2 to 5 grand each it's the first one that is the killer at about 10K, and that's even if you can find one. But they would look so good on a shelf...in a house I wouldn't have because I'd be bankrupt. Ah the hazards of retro game collecting eh.

Comment

A boxed copy of Wizard Slayer on the gp32 is my grail, got it loose but been looking for years for a cib copy and I'm not getting any younger.

Comment

Working...
                                X