Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a complex story but the short version is that we had a backup plan that wasn't dependent on them. Given that we went months before the situation changed, and their best offering was to send some kind of camping kitchen out to us, it's probably for the best we did. The other big gaffe was speccing out their wardrobes and media units, only for the frames to fall into back-order hell, with their manufacturing plant prioritising white units and nothing else. Even when we buckled and agreed to change the colour of everything (having to send back bits in other colours they'd already sent us), we could only get everything together in November after ordering in June.

They do make decent enough stuff, particularly so for the price, but this also means that they get away with some pretty awful customer service. That said, even awful is better than nothing when it comes to customer service...

Comment

Ugggghhhhhhhh. Sounds awful. Count myself lucky its only some organising shelves I’m out of, not the end of the world.

Thing is, you can’t get what Ikea do anywhere else, not unless you want to pay 5x more, for organising stuff you can’t beat it.

Comment

Christmas family politics, like every f****** year.

Kinda made a massive sacrifice YET AGAIN to keep everyone happy but us by spending Christmas apart yet again to see our families this year unless restrictions are eased more in the UK from the 16th. We swore we would not do it again once we are married but this has been a unique year and we don't have much of a choice. If things get worse we will stay at home with each other, if things get better he will spend Christmas Day with us if somehow the 3 household rule can be improved on. If things get worse and more restrictions are put in place we stay at home, tough but it will be nice in our own way. In the last 6 years we have spent 1 Christmas day together and maybe 3 in the last 12 years.

(Edited cause of ranting)

Mum's not happy and kicking off we should be together but doesn't want us to not come up for Christmas. Now its all that we are ruining plans cause he is not there (its just minus 1 and we can't go anywhere) and keeps trying to make 'helpful' suggestions of how we can mix households which she knows very well we cannot do. I wish she could just be a bit sorry we are doing this but being grateful we want to see our parents so bad we are willing to do this.

I'd just like a year when everyone can agree we can see everyone at different times and accept we all can't have exactly what we want all the time. I think my mother struggles with that.
        Last edited by Blobcat; 05-12-2020, 09:46.

Comment

Look, your life is your own and you have to make the choices that are right for you but I'm going to say this - it is blindingly clear from many years of posts that you need to establish much stronger boundaries with your family. This isn't working for you. And you two are married now - your family now is you two. That's your primary unit here. This kind of thing doesn't ever get better on its own. It gets worse because your family members get older - things will get more difficult at times, and there will be times in life when it will be the right thing to put other family members first, but it will never get better. That is, unless you choose to clamp down on it and make some rules and put your own family unit first.

Also, you're enabling your mother's behaviour here and rewarding it again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post

Kinda made a massive sacrifice YET AGAIN to keep everyone happy but us by spending Christmas apart yet again to see our families this year unless restrictions are eased more in the UK from the 16th. We swore we would not do it again once we are married but this has been a unique year and we don't have much of a choice. If things get worse we will stay at home with each other, if things get better he will spend Christmas Day with us if somehow the 3 household rule can be improved on. If things get worse and more restrictions are put in place we stay at home, tough but it will be nice in our own way. In the last 6 years we have spent 1 Christmas day together and maybe 3 in the last 12 years.

(Edited cause of ranting)

Mum's not happy and kicking off we should be together but doesn't want us to not come up for Christmas. Now its all that we are ruining plans cause he is not there (its just minus 1 and we can't go anywhere) and keeps trying to make 'helpful' suggestions of how we can mix households which she knows very well we cannot do. I wish she could just be a bit sorry we are doing this but being grateful we want to see our parents so bad we are willing to do this.

I'd just like a year when everyone can agree we can see everyone at different times and accept we all can't have exactly what we want all the time. I think my mother struggles with that.
            A Mum's Guide to Being Offended by Your Family:
            MUMS have a unique right to be pissed off with their family for any reason. Here is a mother's guide to having issues with your relatives.

Comment

Me and my missus have a great relationship with my in-laws if it helps

Since we moved 20+ miles further away from them

Comment

[MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] Do what you want to do at Christmas.

I understand that she is your Mum but now you're married it is time to start your own traditions and if people can't understand that it's sad for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post

Just pretend one or both of you has “covid-like symptoms” and then stay home playing Asura’s Wrath(which I’m hoping is the nickname for his willy).

Comment

To highlight how lovely my mother in law is: during our covid isolation as part of the rules she had to have the test as well and isolate because she's in our bubble and also because she visited the day before our positive test. She did neither of these things.
                    But God forbid if you don't do everything she tells you.

Comment

I think we are all very lucky as a family that Covid has not affected us worse than it has. We have all come off it very lightly and despite felling a little sorry for myself about it, I think both sets of our parents deserve to see us at Christmas and its just a small sacrifice to keep everyone safe. Next year will be different, my sister and my in-laws are all accepting of it, my mum is too but is dragging the issue rather than just let it lie. She is trying to be helpful by not being *face palm*.

Just remaining positive after a bit of a storm in a tea cup this morning. My mum is still texting me with suggestions how to 'fix' the problem which involves sneaking and more driving but ultimately doesn't solve the 3 household issue. Personally I think it's safer if we all stay in our own homes but frankly after my mum's declining health and recent trip to A&E I think her mental health is more in danger than covid if I don't go. I love Christmas with my mum, I just hate all the complicated hoo-hah before hand which puts a downer in the run up. If my mum choses to mourn the ideal christmas that is in her head than what is in front of her that's her choice.

We will have a couple of days together between the 27th and New years, we will just have our own Christmas then.
                      2020 and all that lol

Comment

Your mum makes me thankful for my mum.

Comment

[MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION]. Your mum winds me up every time i even see you post/rant about her. Ive not even met the woman, she sounds like a whiny child.

Comment

Rant. It irks me when [MENTION=16665]Blobcat[/MENTION] refers to Asura as him/bloke, we all know your married, please just refer to Asura.

Thanks

Comment

Go Green with the Grimwades - I get the intention of this go green themed C5 kids show but perhaps it would be less condescending to have picked a family who haven't aggressively knocked out six kids push others to be mindful of environmental impact. Another bad TV symptom of TV execs paying too much attention to Youtube drivel

Comment

If Blobcat has taken Asura's name in real life then it's only fair she amend her name on the forum to her new legal name - Mrs Asura - or indeed the opposite if Asura has changed his name Mr Blobcat (which sounds like a Instagram celebrity pet)

Comment

Working...
                                X