Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy PSU then, unless the UPS itself is dodgy. A simple shortcircuit between the mobo and the case won't cause a PC to explode, so something in the power delivery has failed spectacularly. If the UPS is from APC, I'd suggest connecting it to a PC via USB, install APC's software and use the self-test function and see if it logs anything weird.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      Dodgy PSU then, unless the UPS itself is dodgy. A simple shortcircuit between the mobo and the case won't cause a PC to explode, so something in the power delivery has failed spectacularly. If the UPS is from APC, I'd suggest connecting it to a PC via USB, install APC's software and use the self-test function and see if it logs anything weird.
      Thing is, it’s the third PSU this machine has gone through. And yes, you’re right - this one was big (the last time was just a pop, this time my ears were ringing and I got a light show and had to put out the sparks as I’m in a little wooden home office which isn’t built for fire). I’m not sure what make my UPS is but I’ll have a look in the morning and see what options there are.

Just a headache I don’t need. At least it’s not quite the same panic as last time. Last time I was right up against a deadline and had no other computer that could run what I needed. This time, I’m not under the same pressure.

Comment

Same make of PSU? Power switch set correctly on it? If not, could be something weird with the motherboard or the BIOS settings? Very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Same make of PSU? Power switch set correctly on it? If not, could be something weird with the motherboard or the BIOS settings? Very strange.
          Different PSU this time. The previous two were Corsair. Yeah, it’s definitely weird. Never come up against this before.

Comment

In a wooden home office outside the house?

Sounds like damp or condensation on electrical components? Do you have heating in there?

In fact, you say you have an anti-surge brick between the power socket and PC points to an issue in the PC. If it's cold in there and you switch on a PC, condensation will form on cold capacitors as they warm up.

Get a thermometer and a hygrometer in there and lets us know the readings, when you go on there in the morning.
            Last edited by gunrock; 04-02-2020, 04:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I don’t know how this happens! I have never had a computer blow like this and this one has done it three times. All in the same room though, which had always had me wondering if the electricity in the room is dodgy. But after the last time, I spent loads on a huge industrial brick thing that is supposed to protect from anything short of a nuclear strike but, nope, here I am again.
              I would get the single phase checked in the room dogthang, the spur off the ring mains probably has a fault if its just you that keeps exploding, crossed polarity maybe on the line. Also explosions tend to burn buildings down so theres that.

Also if your in a little hut, then insulate the thing probably, rockwall is best.

Comment

Yeah, it’s basically like a fancy shed but it’s well insulated and righted for lights and electricity and I have a heater on a thermostat which runs during the night to make sure it doesn’t get too cold and so it’s nice and warm when I go into it in the morning. Not sure if timing is a factor in the condensation idea but it blew late afternoon yesterday after being on for the whole day. I don’t have a hygrometer - is that a normal hardware store thing? I should get one.

Yeah, looks like I’ll need to get the electricity checked by someone who knows what they’re doing.

Comment

Hygrometer you can buy at a hardware shop or Anazon. Tells you the relative humidity- if it's 60 or over, it's probably a bit too moist.

Comment

Ugh, I have a ringing sound in my left ear. Hoping it's due to a recent bout of the flu, and it'll go away soon.

I'll be pissed off if I get permanent tinnitus. I've been cautious my whole life with loud sounds and such.

Comment

Spoke to an electrician today who reckons there is no point in trying to find a fault in the room. I talked him through the whole setup and what's running through it and he thinks that other stuff would be affected or would be a possible trigger to an electric fault (like the heater or even just small things like lights flickering) than the computer would and he'd only know for sure if he happened to be there during an instance of it blowing. Otherwise I could pay to have someone spend several hours opening everything all up and examining it but find nothing.

A little unsatisfying. It's like when a doctor tells you that's just how it is now! He could well be right and it could be the computer but feels like, without getting to the bottom of it, I'm just inviting it to happen again.

Comment

Have you checked the flange? (lifts the hood) yep, that's your problem there (wipes hands with greasy cloth).

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                          Have you checked the flange?
                          Keep it clean.

Comment

both our Smart TV's seem to be an absolute nightmare at the moment. ones giving us apps we don't want (piss off rakuten TV) while the other is taking apps away.

Our newish 4k Samsung in the lounge keeps installing apps that we don't use like rakuten tv and then auto switching to adverts for films when you turn anything off. If we turn the Virgin tv box or ps4 off first it auto switches to rakuten and some advert for the latest crapy film their pushing. Our older 1080p Sony tv in the other room has informed us that certain apps we use like bbc iplayer will be discontinued on our device in the next month.
                            Last edited by Lebowski; 05-02-2020, 16:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                              both our Smart TV's seem to be an absolute nightmare at the moment. ones giving us apps we don't want (piss off rakuten TV) while the other is taking apps away.

Our newish 4k Samsung in the lounge keeps installing apps that we don't use like rakuten tv and then auto switching to adverts for films when you turn anything off. If we turn the Virgin tv box or ps4 off first it auto switches to rakuten and some advert for the latest crapy film their pushing. Our older 1080p Sony tv in the other room has informed us that certain apps we use like bbc iplayer will be discontinued on our device in the next month.
                              This is the kind of thing which makes me very concerned about when I'll need to move on from my 2012 LCD.

Comment

I think I need to go back to school to learn how to use a sewing machine. The tension (in me and the bloody machine) is all over the show and its pissing me off royally.

God I hate it when it doesn't work

Comment

Working...
                                X