X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't become Motorhead fans?!?!?!

Comment

More than an irk: Went to fit a new toilet today, only to find the majority of the subfloor is rotted away. I mean that's an irk. But the subfloor is 21mm CHIPBOARD. CHIPBOARD. IN A BATHROOM. FFS. No now it's up with the old tiles (done) and floor (still to do), check the joists, new floor (plywood unless anyone has better suggestions?), new tile and finally the new toilet. Good job I spotted it I guess but not a great Sunday.

Comment

If you are tiling the floor, you could use tiling boards screwed direct to the joists instead. If you are ripping up and replacing the rot anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          If you are tiling the floor, you could use tiling boards screwed direct to the joists instead. If you are ripping up and replacing the rot anyway.
          Ok they look amazing! Can they go straight onto joists though? Like can they support the weight across joists like 18mm ply would?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Ok they look amazing! Can they go straight onto joists though? Like can they support the weight across joists like 18mm ply would?
            They are pretty thick, I don't see why not. Probably worth double checking.

Comment

More than an irk: Went to fit a new toilet today, only to find the majority of the subfloor is rotted away. I mean that's an irk. But the subfloor is 21mm CHIPBOARD. CHIPBOARD. IN A BATHROOM. FFS. No now it's up with the old tiles (done) and floor (still to do), check the joists, new floor (plywood unless anyone has better suggestions?), new tile and finally the new toilet. Good job I spotted it I guess but not a great Sunday.
              This is more common than you think putting chipboard in bathroom floors, if you catch a tradie doing this immediately eject them from house.

If your joists don't need replacing, get this checked properly first, replace with marine ply (which won’t rot) and lay either lino or tiles over that, to be honest I wouldn’t tile in an upstairs bathroom due to any movement on the floor and cost of repairing issues in future, but thats just me.

Edit. If your going straight onto joists 12mm marine ply so its substantial for walking on.
              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 07-11-2021, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                This is more common than you think putting chipboard in bathroom floors, if you catch a tradie doing this immediately eject them from house.

If your joists don't need replacing, get this checked properly first, replace with marine ply (which won’t rot) and lay either lino or tiles over that, to be honest I wouldn’t tiles in an upstairs bathroom due to any movement on the floor and cost of repairing issues in future, but thats just me.

Edit. If your going straight onto joists 12mm marine ply so its substantial for walking on.
                Good point about upstairs tiles actually. If they crack or if water finds a gap its going to be a world of pain. Yeah that can happen downstairs too, but its not going to ruin your ceiling or cause your bathroom to fall into your kitchen.

Comment

Two irks Monday. (Twerks?)

Boiler is on the blink and can't get anyone to look at it.
                  Bonus: I hate that I have no idea how to fix it.

2nd irk: I've said it on here every so often, but it still drives me crackers - people who have no lane discipline.

I normally just say Middle Lane Morons, but it's not just MLMs when you get 4 lanes.
                  Several times I had to go from lane 1 to 4 to overtake someone pootling along in lane 3.
                  Infuruating.

Comment

CLOD has more of a ring to it. Centre Lane Only Driver

Comment

Like it. There was a website called middlelanemorons, which is where I got the name from, but I like CLOD too.

Since 2013, it's now a road traffic offence, but people seem oblivious and fewer traffic police means hardly anyone gets pulled up about it.

If they started a police division with the sole purpose to tackle this crime, I'd join the training straight away, along with a really tall guy and a guy who does sound effects with his mouth.

Who am I kidding?
                      I would be the guy making sound effects with his mouth.

Comment

Would someone who hops around the centre lanes be called a…

CLODHOPPER?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Like it. There was a website called middlelanemorons, which is where I got the name from, but I like CLOD too.

Since 2013, it's now a road traffic offence, but people seem oblivious and fewer traffic police means hardly anyone gets pulled up about it.

If they started a police division with the sole purpose to tackle this crime, I'd join the training straight away, along with a really tall guy and a guy who does sound effects with his mouth.

Who am I kidding?
                          I would be the guy making sound effects with his mouth.
                          Reminds me of a Viz letter where someone pointed out that you are only allowed two circuits of a roundabout before choosing an exit and he wanted the police to man roundabouts to catch people flouting this little known law.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            Would someone who hops around the centre lanes be called a…

CLODHOPPER?
                            I'm surprised you felt the need to ask frankly!

Comment

Remember the days when I'd have got a week ban for double posting on a forum? Now look at me! Three in a row.

Comment

Remember the days when I'd have got a week ban for double posting on a forum? Now look at me! Three in a row.
                                Honestly. One rule for us peons, another for the mods! Hopping around the rules when they see fit!

MODHOPPERS

Comment

Working...
                                X