Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer woes are really tiring. Replaced PSU but the computer is dead. Could be fried motherboard or GPU or whatever but, details aside, it's just a pain in a rear end. Have brought it to people who apparently know what they are doing so they can diagnose it. The motherboard I have would cost about £400 to replace, assuming I could get one. The hassle is not even major in the grand scheme of things. It just feels needless and tiring.

Comment

I wonder why you keep riding the tail off PSUs. The UPS should help with that, could it be the UPS?

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        I wonder why you keep riding the tail off PSUs. The UPS should help with that, could it be the UPS?
        The UPS I have was new after the second blowout. The previous one wasn't as heavy duty as this one (personally I have no idea what difference that makes or what, if anything, is genuinely different from unit to unit). I feel like my computer is now a Spinal Tap drummer at this stage.

Comment

You could buy a Mac. Not that they are magic or anything, but mine have always been reliable, with the exception of one.

Comment

lol no. Macs are only reliable because apple deny all faults.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              The UPS I have was new after the second blowout. The previous one wasn't as heavy duty as this one (personally I have no idea what difference that makes or what, if anything, is genuinely different from unit to unit). I feel like my computer is now a Spinal Tap drummer at this stage.
              What have been the makes of your past PSUs and the wattage? What spec is PC?

Comment

lol no. Macs are only reliable because apple deny all faults.
                I've used them for years personally and in my business and they've been absolutely fine.

At no point have I had to know the wattage of a PSU either which is a blessing!

Comment

What have been the makes of your past PSUs and the wattage? What spec is PC?
                  First two PSUs were Corsair (apparently they are great with their warranties but I was in such a panic the first couple of times I didn't have the time to deal with that), third one was Antec. Wattage was 650. Not sure about the specs of the PC off the top of my head other than it's a bit of a beast. It's made for creating and rendering graphics so it is designed to perform.

Comment

First two PSUs were Corsair (apparently they are great with their warranties but I was in such a panic the first couple of times I didn't have the time to deal with that), third one was Antec. Wattage was 650. Not sure about the specs of the PC off the top of my head other than it's a bit of a beast. It's made for creating and rendering graphics so it is designed to perform.
                    I wonder if it's just on the limit or being worked flat out?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      I've used them for years personally and in my business and they've been absolutely fine.

At no point have I had to know the wattage of a PSU either which is a blessing!
                      I had a G3 laptop that was a pile of poop, had the logic board replaced under warranty. I had to replace the keyboard (just died), and the screen twice. I had a G3 titanium that had a dodgy video cable (common fault). When I got my G5 I had to made sure it was not the liquid cooled one, as they had common issues with leaking and corroding themselves to death. The best one I had was the G4 Gigabit ethernet. I've no desire for another one, and I won't pay through the nose for standardised PC hardware with an apple logo.

You tell how much they trust their own hardware by the fact you only get a one years warranty regardless of how much you spend on a computer.

Comment

I wonder if it's just on the limit or being worked flat out?
                        My work is so awesome it blows stuff up.

Comment

My work is so awesome it blows stuff up.
                          I was thinking more like pron with it being a wangle den out in the back garden

Comment

Yeah there’s that too.

Comment

I had a G3 laptop that was a pile of poop, had the logic board replaced under warranty. I had to replace the keyboard (just died), and the screen twice. I had a G3 titanium that had a dodgy video cable (common fault). When I got my G5 I had to made sure it was not the liquid cooled one, as they had common issues with leaking and corroding themselves to death. The best one I had was the G4 Gigabit ethernet. I've no desire for another one, and I won't pay through the nose for standardised PC hardware with an apple logo.

You tell how much they trust their own hardware by the fact you only get a one years warranty regardless of how much you spend on a computer.
                              Sounds like some bad luck there. I've been fortunate with mine, touch wood, started buying them around the G4 Mac Mini era.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                touch wood
                                We've established that this is what caused DT's computer to explode in the first place!

Comment

Working...
                                X