This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I would love to not have a car. I hate cars. They’re a flaming money pit. I don’t like driving. Roads aren’t safe and bad drivers are everywhere and it’s just not a good system. I’ve often tried to talk my wife into getting rid of ours.
    I have become less confident on the roads as I have got older; not helped by there being knuts everywhere that speed, tailgate and are generally oblivious and inconsiderate to anything outside of their vehicle. This, along with growing traffic density makes it a pretty unpleasant experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      The National Grid can easily support charging loads of vehicles at night. It's not like everyone will be charging their car every night anyway.
      Sorry I shouldn't have been so forthright claiming something I know not to be fact but I do know that there have been conversations around infrastructure concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
        I have become less confident on the roads as I have got older; not helped by there being knuts everywhere that speed, tailgate and are generally oblivious and inconsiderate to anything outside of their vehicle. This, along with growing traffic density makes it a pretty unpleasant experience.
        True, but I also know people are lazy - and part of me trusts computers to perform boring, repetitive tasks more than I trust people.

If the self-driving debate is pushed, I think it'd normalise quite quickly and people will be eager to take it up, and once we have most people self-driving, I think it'll be safer - especially once cars can communicate with each other.

Comment

I'd like to eat a sandwich.
          I don't have time to make one myself, I need someone to teach me.
          Stop suggesting I need to make time, I can't afford to make a sandwich, neither can I afford to pay anyone to teach me.
          How dare you suggest that my attitude has anything to do with my sandwich-making prospects.
          ECT.

Comment

I like driving and do it because I enjoy it and it makes me feel good. I'd hate to have a self-driving car for the same reason that somebody who enjoys cooking would hate to have microwave meals every day. If the day comes where self-driving cars are the only option, I think I'll probably just get into my non self-driving car and drive it off a cliff.

Comment

A bit dramatic.

Comment

True, but it's the biggest passion in my life. I can understand why some folks don't enjoy it, but driving cars got me through some absolutely miserable periods in my life. Even just driving to/from work is a thrill and a release for me.

Comment

That’s fair enough. I guess driving for pleasure and driving for function are two different things but if you can get one from the other then it’s a good thing to have.

Comment

I love a bit of open road and country side, but it’s usually spoilt by some idiot itching to get past you, even when you doing the max speed limit

Comment

I spent years commuting on the bus in Dublin and, from the top of the bus, each and every day you see all the driving crimes. The amount of dangerous drivers, at least here in Dublin, is insane. Every one of them should lose their license and have to start again. Those years at the top of a bus really put me off driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                        My uncle died two weeks ago and my gran died Saturday night (in her sleep thankfully). My dad's a mess. I'll be happy to see the back of this year.
                        Sorry for your loss Cepp

Comment

I see a lot of bad driving, but the best way to cope with it is to anticipate and avoid what you can, but don't dwell on the rest. You've got to size up every vehicle around you and think "do they look like they know what they're doing, are they going to do something stupid, what is the most stupid thing they are likely to do" and be ready for it. If anyone is tailgating you and it's starting to feel unsafe/annoying, just let them past and get them out of your hair - it isn't that they "won", you're just making it so you don't have to think about them any more. There's no point holding the horn down and going nuts when someone does something stupid, if they drive like that all the time it will be water off a ducks back to them, you'll be one of a dozen that day and it'll annoy you more than them. Just laugh it off as them being morons and move on, keep a good attitude as much as you can.

Comment

Can’t quite believe what I saw today - we are in the middle of a storm with 60mph winds today and I saw ‘pro’ cyclists out on a fast carriageway. Total Madness...

Comment

Had a woman cough all over me at work. Luckily I was wearing a mask but she mainly coughed all over my hands when I wasn't wearing gloves. Scrubbed like hell afterwards but still feel icky, she didn't even apologize the dirty madam.

At lunchtime I got a message from my sister that my mum's been rushed to hospital and is staying overnight tonight. With Lockdown and disgusting members of public there is no way I can go up and help/ visit as there are no visitors allowed anyway so I am stuck at home feeling like a loose end. She is stable and needs more tests and possibly another blood transfusion but we are hoping its all connected with a recent op she had she had that needs a bit more help with healing rather than something new and worse.

This year really is **** isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                                Can’t quite believe what I saw today - we are in the middle of a storm with 60mph winds today and I saw ‘pro’ cyclists out on a fast carriageway. Total Madness...
                                Im sorry what with the what now???

Comment

Working...
                                X