Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just stupid at this point. Tomorrow will be painful in the news as Harry and & Meghan's interview with Oprah Winfrey finally airs. You know? The couple who left the Royal Family? Who signed to do a huge interview with Oprah? Yeah, the ones who then gazumped that deal by also doing that one with James Corden last week? Yeah yeah, the ones who publicly announced their upcoming new baby arrival on Valentines Day to the media? Yep, the ones who signed a multi-million deal with Netflix? Oh... no? Erm... the ones who bleat on about wanting their privacy respected. Ah, yes, yes that Harry and Meghan

Now we have the Queen delivering a Commonwealth message conveniently the night before

And a Youtube hoaxer has tricked several leading Royal commentators into giving negative reviews of the interview several days before any of them had seen it.

This is all supposed to be drama but all it screams is a bunch of sycophants having a family barny embarrassingly in public. Is it really that hard for the royal family to just sod off and for those within it who don't want to be part of that world to particularly just **** off?

The really, really worst bit?

How much it utterly exposes how not a single person related to that family or within the media learnt one single thing from the Diana situation.
    They're an outdated, unneeded mark of shame on the country. Not that it'll make a difference, a history of Nazi sympathising didn't.

Comment

I'm not particularly concerned about Harry/Meghan versus the royals, it seems to be more-or-less a family argument. I'm more bothered about the British press producing insanely high amounts of negative content about it to turn the public against them, which I feel is a distraction technique because it was starting to look like we might need to consider whether the press in this country should really be continuing to operate as they currently do. Things like the phone hacking scandal, the fact that our national newspapers are owned by a handful of people, a lot of generally dodgy behaviour.

Perhaps there's an argument that there is some hypocrisy in what Harry/Meghan are doing, making money off the press when they want privacy. Alternatively maybe they just want their side of the story out there and are quite happy to make some cash out of it. I can't say I'm that bothered either way. It might upset the Queen - so what? I'm less bothered that some ex-royals might want to make a bit of money from the press than I am for the Queen to continue to shield dodgy Prince Andrew and give him a six-figure tax free income from a load of assets that morally shouldn't be theirs in the first place.

They could abolish the whole monarchy, liquidate their assets and stick them all in a dole queue for me. They're a relic from the past.

Comment

I can't like that post twice, [MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION].

I'm currently listening to "Sunburn: The history of The Sun in 99 Headlines" and it does mention Harry & Meghan and the unfair treatment by the press, who are trying to manipulate the public against them.

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
        I'm not particularly concerned about Harry/Meghan versus the royals, it seems to be more-or-less a family argument. I'm more bothered about the British press producing insanely high amounts of negative content about it to turn the public against them, which I feel is a distraction technique because it was starting to look like we might need to consider whether the press in this country should really be continuing to operate as they currently do. Things like the phone hacking scandal, the fact that our national newspapers are owned by a handful of people, a lot of generally dodgy behaviour.
        It's startling how much influence the press have and one MP said that every decision felt like Rupert Murdoch was in the room, because you had to worry about what he would think.

There seems to be a situation where his newspapers can say what they like then post a small apology or pay for libel cases, but the revenues outweigh those costs and the public perception of someone is cemented.

We're in this weird situation where most of us would say "I don't care about what Harry & Meghan are doing", yet we're all able to follow up with our opinion on them.

Perhaps there's an argument that there is some hypocrisy in what Harry/Meghan are doing, making money off the press when they want privacy. Alternatively maybe they just want their side of the story out there and are quite happy to make some cash out of it. I can't say I'm that bothered either way. It might upset the Queen - so what? I'm less bothered that some ex-royals might want to make a bit of money from the press than I am for the Queen to continue to shield dodgy Prince Andrew and give him a six-figure tax free income from a load of assets that morally shouldn't be theirs in the first place.
        Despite the criminal ponytail, Jeremy Vine nails it here, asking about Andrew's free pass, Priti Patel's free pass about bullying (despite the taxpayer funding the £340,000 payout) and the timing of the interview:

They could abolish the whole monarchy, liquidate their assets and stick them all in a dole queue for me. They're a relic from the past.
        It does seem a bizarre situation where the Royals are supposed to rule the country, but also have no real say in anything political.

I like that they bring in tourist dollars, but you could just fire them all and open up Buckingham Palace like a National Trust place. £1000 to have a photo on the throne. All money to good causes (i.e. not Murdoch, Maxwell or any politician's mates).

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Despite the criminal ponytail, Jeremy Vine nails it here, asking about Andrew's free pass, Priti Patel's free pass about bullying (despite the taxpayer funding the £340,000 payout) and the timing of the interview:
          It's not Jeremy Vine, it's Matthew Wright, but what the sweet, suffering Christ is going on with his hair? I can only assume he lost a bet.

Comment

Well, that's the other element as well. That the myth of the royals not having any sway in the political landscape or influence on it isn't true either.

Listening to the radio this morning most of it hinges on 'bombshell' claims that some of the Royal family might be racist.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
              It's not Jeremy Vine, it's Matthew Wright, but what the sweet, suffering Christ is going on with his hair? I can only assume he lost a bet.
              Yeah, sorry.
              I feel their shows are a bit click-baity in their content, so mixed them both up.

"Jeremeeeeeeh"

Comment

For many years I reluctantly accepted the monarchy solely for tourism purposes, but I’ve been to Disneyworld twice knowing full well that Mickey Mouse doesn’t live there so maybe it’s not that big a deal.

I think we should abolish the monarchy, but double down on tourist appeal. Have it so the public can wander around Buckingham Palace and see wonky animatronic versions of the former royals. Stick a bunch of rides in the grounds too, maybe a little rollercoaster that goes round the whole thing. Beefeaters selling those rock hard orangey-coloured catering burgers from a trailer. Get photographs done with the crown on for £50 a pop. Have an on-rails ride where everyone sits in little black cars doing the royal wave as they pass by. Buy that flight simulator from The Krypton Factor and have people recreate all those times Prince Andrew nearly crashed a helicopter onto the deck of the HMS Invincible. Have it so some random bozo from Idaho can get a genuine knighthood for £100, complete with a certificate to put on the wall of their “man cave” between their neon Budweiser sign and painting of the dogs playing poker. If the royals really didn’t want to lose their jobs, they could have them behind glass like sideshow attractions. Stick a coin in the slot and they’ll get out of their seat and give a weak half-smile for the camera.

I reckon people would be reluctant at first, but if they gave it a try they would have a great day out. Much better than the usual nonsense of standing outside the fence and wondering if the Queen is inside or not. Ultimately I didn’t think Universal Studios would be that much fun but I went on the Earthquake ride and saw the Blues Brothers in their car, it was ace.

Comment

I was laughing at Mickey Mouse, but you were obviously on a roll once you started thinking about Royal World TM.

I'd deffo go on the Royaller Coaster.

Here's that video where two guys pretended they were making a programme about the Harry/Meghan interview, but asked royal commentators to record their opinion on the video before they'd watched the Harry/Meghan interview.

If you're sick of M/H discussion, the thing to take away here is that the narrative for them is pre-written and opinions can be bought.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                    Jedi Padowan.

Comment

I dislike monarchs (small 'm') in general, they're leeches who are where they are because distant ancestors took what they wanted with, or the with the threat of, violence.

I really dislike Matthew Wright, but he nails it there. There is a trolling, witch-hunt part of the British press, who speak for a racist part of the UK public, who hate Meghan for being black.

The royals hate her for being
                      a) Black
                      b) American
                      c) a divorcee.

The first, for these colonial slave-masters and expanionists is unacceptable, I mean, christ, they were dubious about the other brother marrying a white commoner. And last two because that turned out badly last time. They know it can change the succession, as without Edward V abdicating, this queen wouldn't be where she is today.

Racist twats.
                      Last edited by gunrock; 08-03-2021, 11:57.

Comment

Can we not just appreciate the work that monarch has done keeping Godzilla in check??

Comment

Weekends. Specifically weekends with kids during lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Here's that video where two guys pretended they were making a programme about the Harry/Meghan interview
                            F88king state of that 4 twats , everything what's wrong with this state run country n one video..

Comment

Really small and petty but Asda are advertising their Caffeine Free Coke as reduced from £1.73 a bottle to £1.35

Except it has never been £1.73. A few days ago it was £0.95p which itself was a big price jack up from the original price of £0.42p about a year ago. Somehow every other kind of coke they do is the same price as it always was as well.

Comment

Traffic is back on the roads, really didn’t miss it whatsoever. Oh well nice while it lasted.

Comment

Working...
                                X