Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, when did setting up a phone and doing a dance and then posting it online become acceptable as a teenager? If I did that as a teenager I'd have had the **** kicked out of me at school.

Comment

About the same time as it was ok to steal everything on your phone and push gambling to kids in the guise of free games.

Comment

I know this will make me sound ancient but I just don't get 'new' social media apps full stop. Each one rolls along, people go nuts over it but they're all literally the exact same thing repackaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          I know this will make me sound ancient but I just don't get 'new' social media apps full stop. Each one rolls along, people go nuts over it but they're all literally the exact same thing repackaged.
          It's partially because surveys (and likely their internal stats) have shown since ~2016 that teenagers overwhelmingly hate Facebook and Messenger, because that's where the boomers and parents are. They often have profiles out of obligation but when asked, a majority say that FB isn't a good thing for their age group.

But they also want an online space.

That's one of the reasons that Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox and Twitch became big, if my younger relatives are to be believed; they're online avenues where their activities are obfuscated from their parents. It's definitely the reason Snapchat became big (and gave it a reputation they can't shake, which is why they'll never be seen as "wholesome"). It's also why Facebook bought Instagram and WhatsApp.

Which makes sense, really. I mean, when I was 14 I didn't want my parents having unfettered visibility of all aspects of my life.

Comment

We need to launch a simple app called BlueB that 7yr olds and above can get into instead of TikTok, it's no different but secretly its revenue funds Bordersdown. Classic forum victory!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              We need to launch a simple app called BlueB that 7yr olds and above can get into instead of TikTok, it's no different but secretly its revenue funds Bordersdown. Classic forum victory!
              Honestly I forgot to say, but this is why rules like COPPA came into force in the US, which prevents companies from harvesting personal information from children under the age of 13. Various companies were developing child-friendly approaches and services to try and target kids; Hasbro in particular where stealth-building a kids online service by the account system that supported their products; remember how they had that line of Hot Wheels cars with smart NFC like Amiibos? Or how Facebook were, briefly, looking at developing a walled version of their service specifically for kids?

The US was actually really fast to act on that one, because it was clear what was going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                Honestly I forgot to say, but this is why rules like COPPA came into force in the US, which prevents companies from harvesting personal information from children under the age of 13. Various companies were developing child-friendly approaches and services to try and target kids; Hasbro in particular where stealth-building a kids online service by the account system that supported their products; remember how they had that line of Hot Wheels cars with smart NFC like Amiibos? Or how Facebook were, briefly, looking at developing a walled version of their service specifically for kids?

The US was actually really fast to act on that one, because it was clear what was going on.
                Well those laws are working just fine and dandy, No harvesting going on whatsoever from social media.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                  Well those laws are working just fine and dandy, No harvesting going on whatsoever from social media.
                  I know you're joking, and it's fair to say they aren't enough Given the number of kids who use services like TikTok who are clearly under 13.

The law though was to prevent the brazen, above-the-table approach where Hasbro etc. were directly inviting kids to create accounts on their services. And it did some good, even if it was only an incremental step.

Tiktok's a tricky one because it's literally part-owned by the Chinese government. It almost got banned during Trump's administration for this and they did make changes, but obviously not enough.

Comment

Someone linked to TikTok the other day about something political, but every time I clicked the link, it showed me some other videos of teenage girls cavorting for the camera.

There's an easy joke like "he spent hours checking", but I really, really don't like it.
                    It makes me cringe how it's encouraged and young people accept this is the norm.

Comment

It's been a problem for some time...

"Modern fashions seem to keep on growing more and more debased" - Yoshida Kenko, 1300

"The morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly" - 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, 1843

"Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day" - Granville Stanley Hall, 1904

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Someone linked to TikTok the other day about something political, but every time I clicked the link, it showed me some other videos of teenage girls cavorting for the camera.
                        Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                          Yeah yeah, tell it to the judge.
                          I mean, that's the obvious joke, but I've got a daughter and it crushes me to think when she's older, she'll see this stuff and think this is what you need to do.

I never got the talk on social media, because it wasn't a thing when I was their age!

There's a really good episode of Brain Child on Netflix that talks about social media and how it's not what it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            Absolutely it is, keep the app open and watch tv, minutes later you’ll get vids matching what you were watching as it keeps the mic on at all times.
                            Additional note for this; the general nature of "echo chamber" algorithms on social media.

I have friends, followers and creators on my social channels who are openly transgender. It doesn't dominate my viewing but I'm willing to bet it's more prevalent in my stuff than it is if you just slice society at large (it's thought to be around 1-in-200 people in the UK, for example).

But as a result of this, if you read my feeds, you'd think that everyone in the world hated Hogwarts Legacy and it was going to be a flop. Now, I know this to be a falsehood, and so does everyone - even the most ardent critic of JK Rowling knows the franchise is still huge (a several wobbly films not withstanding) and it's going to be massive. I'm not personally getting it, because as an individual I can make that decision, but that doesn't really matter.

Point is that it irks me how easy it might be for someone who primarily gets their news through social media to be deceived by it, even on a topic like this. But it also makes you think about what other topics are like; for instance, I have no objective view on what's going on in the Ukraine War.

Comment

More cheese and whine here:

Comment

Working...
                              X