Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know about the Beeb but one of the Eurosport Olympic channels we get is UHD.

To be fair the iPlayer section is good as you can watch full events, I've enjoyed watching the mens MTB and the triathlon relay.

Comment

Women’s bmx killing it. Two golds for GB.

I don’t think you’ll see a greater gulf between the men’s and women’s ability than in the freestyle bmx though.

Comment

Just got back from 12 days in the UK. Should have been 14 but Boris' freedom day had us curtail that, due to the UK becoming "red" to the eyes of Europe. That's irk no. 1.

Irk #2 - every country in Europe has different approaches to covid border controls. France waives testing on under 16's, Belgium let you go through without any if you're staying less than 48hrs. Denmark waive tests for under 12s. Germany wants tests for anyone six and above (all of us): 750 quid. Oof!

Irk #3 - Our UK compulsory Day 2 test results arrived in Day 8, the same day we had to do Day 8 tests, which came back after we left! 550 quid for the privilege.

Irk #3: Day 11, the first day after UK quarantine, I technically was not allowed to go out as my Day 8 negative test results hadn't come back. I was told I could leave the UK at any time, but couldn't enter France without a negative PCR test! So, when I asked the Track n Trace folks, they couldn't tell me how to make it work.

Irk #4: Track and trace. A man turned up to check I was where I said I was on Day 1 :thumbs: . I was also phoned on the same day and every day except two, during my stay. However, all they do is read the SAME script at you each time and ask if you have any questions - which they can't answer.

Irk #5: I drove a large van (Ford Tourneo Custom) to the UK as I was clearing my Mum's house after her death in 2020. Heartwrenching having to go through two people's lifetimes and binning a lot of it
        But that's not my irk. As I was clearing out, I needed the driveway for skip bags, so had to park a few streets away. So I drove there and like most UK suburban roads, there's a lot of parking on both sides of the road. A BMW driver had to wait for me to pass through the parked cars and I drove quite gingerly through, as the Ford handled like a tank. As got close to Mr BMW, he shouts out of his open window: "Get a fackin' move on, you caaaahnt!", which was a nice reminder of why I choose to live in Denmark! Not even 48hrs back in the UK after two years away and I get abuse!
        Last edited by gunrock; 02-08-2021, 10:42.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
          BBC's coverage of Tokyo 2020.

Edit - And complaint filed. ...
          To follow up I got a reply...somewhat generic...

"Thank you for contacting us about our coverage of the Olympics.

Our output strikes a careful balance between live sport coverage and highlights of key moments, as well as studio discussion, interviews, and analysis, which we hope helps add context and explanation to the action. We are pleased to be able to bring live coverage and highlights programmes on a network channel, as well as a second stream on BBC iPlayer and Red Button, bringing the must-see moments of the Games to our viewers.

We appreciate that you may prefer less discussion, analysis, and interviews, and we are continually feeding these comments back to our Olympics team.
          "

To be fair, it does seem somewhat improved to that night that so infuriated me.

Plus Michael Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
            Plus Michael Johnson:
            MJ is terrific, speaks his mind and doesn't give a toss whether it's not touchy feely enough for Balding.
            When our bloke got a DQ in the 100m I like that he made a point of saying at least twice there is no excuse for a false start.

Comment

Also, he was brilliant in that video where he danced with all the zombies.

Comment

Not having a great time with technology atm.
                My new phone is fine but still transitioning from Apple to iPhone is getting frustrating at times.

Day before camping trip my pc conks out, the screen is messed up (definitely the pc not the monitor) after hinting it wanted to die the past few months. Tried cleaning it out again and connectors but no it's definitely gone.

I then get an email saying I have to download some program / software/ something or other for my online exam next month and confirm its working by Friday on the pc I will be using, that and do another mock exam by the following week I didn't expect (was planning to revise from next week) so madly scrambling to get a back up laptop to work as my new pc Ive rushed to finally pay for won't arrive in time. I really tried to avoid it but now I'm stuck having to use the bloke's pc which he has to work from which is annoying for both parties, I'm just waiting for any news from my course if there is a way I can download the software again between the deadlines as I'd much rather use my own when it eventually arrives sometime before next week.

So today I can't use my pc, my phone is struggling to charge for some reason and this evening I sit to play some Animal Crossing for the first time since the update and my switch won't recognise my SD card anymore. It knows it's in there when I take it out but not detected in the machine.

I'm really starting to loose it. Posting from phone I finally got to fully charge, I need to get more chargers for this phone.

Comment

Elton john Miley Cyrus, and WATT cover of Metalica's Nothing else matters going full on deliverance in some sort of country hillbilly style is one of the worst things ive heard in quite some time. Metalica's "charity" album the black list really show you that Metallica are still masters at sticking their heads up their own arse! with ease. Honorable mentions also goes to Sam fenders version of Sad but true for crimes against music, Weezer for playing it super straight and failing to make enter sandman their own and finally, did we really need a hardcore country version of wherever i may roam from Jon Pardi that sounds like something weird al yankovic would release?

Comment

Might need to knock GB's Tokyo 2020 medal count down.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/cj-ujah-doping-suspension-olympics-b1901614.html

Sad for the others if this pans out.

Edit - that picture...

****, lost the gold.
                    Yay, got the silver.
                    Gotta pee in a cup...****...
                    Yay, got the silver.
                    Last edited by wheelaa; 12-08-2021, 17:28.

Comment

It is sad for the others I'll bet they are seething at this, pity it didn't happen at the Olympics would have liked to hear what Mr Johnson would have said.

Really nice to see he's in good health as well.

Comment

Great news about the daughters exams but just realised I now owe her over a grand...

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                          Great news about the daughters exams but just realised I now owe her over a grand...
                          Wish I'd known about this parents paying money for results crap when I did my exams. I got 6-A's and all I got was a talking to about why I got no A*'s

Comment

That’s a deep cut right there. Going to be reading every one of your posts now wondering if I can trace the roots of it back to this. Honestly though, it’s amazing how much the pressure of those exam years can partly define us forever regardless of the actual results.

Comment

I had one A, 4 Bs and 3 Cs. I remember going to the payphone to call my mother. She started crying....uh oh. "You passed them all! Well done"

She was surprised as I barely prepared but I did not expect her to be so proud!

Comment

I was one of those straight B students in the top classes (which I worked hard to say in, especially Maths) and was predicted all B's except RE (C).

But no matter what I did to prepare the exam stress always got to me and I'd do crap in most exams. The worst was my mock Graphic design exam which I had a huge nose bleed during and used one of the pages of the exam as a tissue.

I worked super hard to do well and in the end I got mostly Bs, a handful of C's, an A in Art and a D in Chemistry (seriously don't know how I did so bad). I remember being terrified about how my mum would react as I got lower than predicted grades except my Art one (note my mum was a teacher and held my education as great importance).

When we got them I was relieved I passed but worried but my mum was very much 'you got 6+ a-c, that's fine, that's the main thing well done'. I was actually really upset she wasn't more angry and disappointed, I felt that If I hadn't spent most of my time out of school revising I would have probably gotten the same marks (the only work I struggled with was a maths and English coursework I had to repeat but still rarely got lower than B's). I kinda felt if I had spent more time with my friends and improved my social life rather than studied 'just to pass' it would have been better. My sister did way better than me in her GCSE's 2 years earlier getting 5 A's and and A*, why tf did I want to do GCSE music anyway?!!!

Anyways my best friend got 6 a-c GCSE's and my mum treated us out for dinner and gave me a seashell watch she had picked up on her last holiday to give me as a gift.

Comment

Working...
                                X