Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, always dread selling on eBay, but sometimes it's the only way I can clear unwanted stuff. Seem to always lose money on there though.

I had to refund someone for a motherboard/cpu/ram combo a few months ago, the buyer kept messaging saying he couldn't install Windows from a USB stick. It was a P4 system from 2001, and back then bootable USB support was preliminary or non-existent on PC hardware. Told him he'd need to use an IDE DVD drive and optical media, so he then goes and obtains an external USB DVD drive instead and surprise, that didn't work either. Gave up and refunded him, couldn't be bothered despite knowing there was nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
      Yeah, always dread selling on eBay, but sometimes it's the only way I can clear unwanted stuff. Seem to always lose money on there though.

I had to refund someone for a motherboard/cpu/ram combo a few months ago, the buyer kept messaging saying he couldn't install Windows from a USB stick. It was a P4 system from 2001, and back then bootable USB support was preliminary or non-existent on PC hardware. Told him he'd need to use an IDE DVD drive and optical media, so he then goes and obtains an external USB DVD drive instead and surprise, that didn't work either. Gave up and refunded him, couldn't be bothered despite knowing there was nothing wrong with it.
      Was kind of my approach too honestly. Return request came through and said some really vague message. Just protects the ignorant buyer, which is exactly what eBay wants.
      Last edited by speedlolita; 13-01-2021, 22:47.

Comment

eBay treats all buyers like customers and all sellers like businesses.

I appreciate why it's become like that, but there's not much leeway for private sales that go wrong on there. As a seller, you're lumped in with the big boys.

It's like when smaller YouTube channels get hit with DMCA takedowns and have to fight tooth and nail to get the videos reinstated.

I stopped using eBay for so long that my account expired. Whenever I go back to the UK and sell off my old stuff, I just use CeX, WeBuyBooks, MusicMagpie, etc. I know they have their own risks and things they just won't buy, but I like the one-way nature of the transactions

Comment

You're not wrong there. I can't say I have issues selling items like games but definitely find PC stuff can be iffy.

Never tried one of those services that buys books and the like. Really should do as I have tons of manga I need to shift.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            You're not wrong there. I can't say I have issues selling items like games but definitely find PC stuff can be iffy.

Never tried one of those services that buys books and the like. Really should do as I have tons of manga I need to shift.
            Last time I used MusicMagpie, they were giving really good prices for import stuff. 15 quid for my JP Wii Fit+board, and postage was free - I just took the package to my newsagent. They also bought a bunch of Japanese CDs.

WeBuyBooks helped me shift my old uni textbooks - again, with free delivery - which would've cost a lot just to post. That they paid 5-10 quid per book was the icing on the cake. They also bought a bunch of DVDs and comics.

Both services work in a similar way - download the app and then scan the product barcodes with your phone to see the prices. The only gotcha is that they won't return anything that fails their checks, but I think that doesn't apply to hardware.

Comment

I love it when people use stuff, start a return request on Amazon as “no longer required” or “didn’t arrive” its tracked you idiot with gps i know you’ve had it, then ask for a full refund and free returns. No, just no, what am i a free loan service?

People take the absolute piss with everything these days doing whatever they can to scam their money back.

Comment

There's a weird trend on Facebook videos where people do these "magic" pranks on each other (normally featuring a fit girlfriend), but they're so monumentally fake I don't know what the point is.

Like drawing on someone's sleeping face and they don't feel it or there's a "dummy" but it's blinking.

Why?

Comment

Hmmm, looks like there's some psychology behind them, which is interesting, but the content itself is so poor.
                  Rick Lax earns millions of Facebook views each month as its #1 global influencer; here's what brands and publishers can learn from him.

Comment

When you blow your nose and a few chunks of that clear, frogspawny snot fly out but you can only find about half of it, afterwards, and you can't find the other chunks ANYWHERE....

....that is, until about an hour later when you scratch your ear and you feel a clod of icky, cold, frogspawny jelly stuck to the back of your hand.

Just happened to me. So icky. It's OK when it's warm and you've got a tissue but when it isn't and when you haven't...

Comment

Had a nurse's appointment yesterday for some regular tests and they insisted I should have the flu jab which I have never had before. As they could do it then and there and they said I was ok past 7 days of my vaccine jab I could have it so I said fine and got the jab in the apposing arm.

Appart from the normal itchy arm, by the evening I feel lousy, tired and achy and struggled to get comfy when sleepy. Woke up feeling 5x worse and a sweat blob. I think I've had too much drugs in me this month, not going into work today and gotta have a long shower.
                      I have a runny nose for the first time in over a year! Not full on flu but I see now what some people mean by getting some of it by getting the jab!

I'm sat at my computer waiting to use the bathroom and for once feel comfy as usually i'm freezing my ass off needing my heater on being next to the drafty window, today it feels like bliss.

Comment

Apple. What a load of garbage the iPhone OS is (if you are an old person).

2hrs on the phone to my dad, only to discover that the reason he can't delete emails from his outlook account is that, YET AGAIN, the iPhone email app hasn't been able to download any new emails, this time since December the 2nd, and refuses to send any changes to the server. It's a known iOS mail app bug. The only way around it is to remove the email account and re-add, which I've done twice before in the last 4 months and now know that it will be FAR quicker for me to go round to his house tomorrow. I'm going to put the outlook app on it instead which should be better.

Trying to talk him through it remotely is soooo frustrating because the interface is so confusing for him. He had no idea that the words at top left of menus in blue like "<SETTINGS" mean "Go back to settings". He thought that meant the page he is on is SETTINGS (but it's actually a subset of settings), which is why he could never see any of the options like "General" that I needed him to see. He actually had no idea that it was even possible to go back. He'd be better off with an Android that actually has a back button built into the operating system instead of the stupid one button "simpleness" of the Apple system. And that works. I regularly get people asking me why their email has failed on their iphone. Often email account corruption or mixing up spare SMTP servers between other accounts instead of keeping them separate. Get an android. It just works. That should be my default answer now.

Oh and when I'm saying things like "Ok, what next?" in the menus, he'd say "There's nothing to press". I now realise because he has to go BACK UP to the top right to find a "NEXT" button, but sometimes it says "OK" or "CONTINUE" down the bottom (in a popup normally). Which evil mastermind decided up there was a good idea? How is he possibly supposed to find it up there sometimes and sometimes down the bottom. And the pop up overlays are normally white on a slightly off white background, because Apple..... So he doesn't even realise it's a popup and is trying to press things underneath the overlay still and saying his phone isn't responding.

YEAH. APPLE YOU SUCK. (Definitely not my dad. My dad is great).

Comment

I know people who actually want to mess with stuff hated it but Apple's simplicity when these devices launched was wonderful. Most of the time, you needed to know nothing to figure out how to do all the basics. Now, they're getting more and more complicated but still make it tricky to mess with settings so identifying problems is a total nightmare sometimes on their devices. And almost every time I have an issue, it turns out to be a known iOS issue that has been identified for months or sometimes even years. Why haven't they been fixed then?

Comment

Slipped outside the house this morning down three steps while carrying Flora in her car seat to take her for her latest jabs.

Torn up my arm and my lower back (where it hit the edge of one of the steps) is bruised and swollen and walking is difficult.

Also, work have ****ed up my pay this month. Was told that booked holiday would be paid in full Vs furlough so I booked 5 days off at the start of the month. I also worked on January 4th.

All of it out through as furlough. Difference only works out to £50 - £60 but that's a good shop or nappies / wipes for a few weeks. Seriously ****ed off.

Comment

Jeez, that sounds rough. Hope you heal up soon.

Comment

Christ that sounds painful

Comment

Working...
                                X