Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: The best regions for game development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned you some learnings!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I think the top UK developers have got a lot of respect since the 32-bit era, but before that most UK devs only really got proper recognition in the UK and across Europe. I don't think Japan and America were very aware of The Bitmap Brothers, Sensible Software, and CORE etc... UK devs were very focused on their home market until the games biz became far more professional during the PlayStation era..
      Do Japanese gaming corps or Japesnse gamers respect anything that isn't made by them. Nintendo had to use British talent to show them how to make 3D games LOL . Never mind how far ahead of the pack the likes of Geoff Crammond racers were for 3D graphics and physics

Yeah, a very significant game that felt quite amazing at the time
      It still is amazing. Elite Dangerous: is even more amazing in scope and wonder. It's even got betty's Zeta Reticuli in there too.

RARE are one of the most prominent UK devs that American gamers are fully aware of. A world away from when they were 'Ultimate' and were very much UK-centric
      I would like to think lots of gamers know about Rock Star North: Makers of some of the biggest selling games of all time, same goes for Traveller's Tales. Plus you have talent likes Sumo, Creative Assembly, Ninja Theory Ect.

Comment

I’ve been reading the replies and giving this some thought...

First I think we can all agree that Japan is a given. It brought us Pacman, Super Mario World and Street Fighter II for Christ’s sake, perhaps the finest pieces of gaming code ever created.

Next up I initially thought USA (or NA to be more specific in case Canadian friends are reading). Reason why? The Sierra games, Lucasfilm games, EA in their pomp (I’m talking Desert Strike and Road Rash, not the endless yearly FIFA crap we get these days). It brought us games from the 16-bit like Wing Commander, Dune 2 and Mortal Kombat, all massive, massive hits. If this wasn’t enough then what about the pioneering Atari/Williams/Midway output that brought us arcade games like Asteroids, Defender and Bezerk? Based on this, NA clearly had the best output after Japan.

But, you see, I’m from the U.K., and this is a U.K. based forum, and to top it off it’s all about opinion. I just couldn’t get the joy that Monty Mole, Miner Willy, and a funny egg-shaped character brought me as a child out of my head. I remember some great (and not so great) Ocean licences, I remember Target; Renegade, and I distinctly recall my eyes popping out of my head at seeing Graftgold’s conversion of (admittedly, Japanese originated) Rainbow Islands. I thought no, put this bias aside, NA is clearly the winner... Until TA mentioned Elite. That does it for me. To fit an entire galaxy inside a single 5.25” BBC floppy and run it from 32k RAM is an absolute miracle, and Elite remained one of my favourite games of all time until its sequel, Frontier, was released for the Amiga.

Yup, biased as it may seem - and is - I’ll vote too for the U.K. as second after Japan.

Special mention goes to Europe during the Amiga’s heyday that produced some of my favourite games for the machine including Cryo’s Dune, Delphine’s Flashback and Thalion’s No Second Prize. These were among the best Amiga games both technically and in terms of gameplay.
        Last edited by samanosuke; 01-01-2020, 10:13.

Comment

Lords of Midnight was just as impressive as Elite.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            To fit an entire galaxy inside a single 5.25” BBC floppy and run it from 32k RAM is an absolute miracle, and Elite remained one of my favourite games of all time until its sequel, Frontier, was released for the Amiga..
            Seeing that game running on my mates BBC was the most amazing experience I think I've had in gaming (well that and seeing Model 2 Daytona USA for the 1st time). I was in my rich friend's house and we were watching Ice Pirates on VHS (Ace film btw) and because we were all in the scfi zone my mate put on Elite and seeing him fly to and dock in the Space station, was just incredible.

I think we played the game till 3AM in the morning

Comment

It was inevitable that Japan would dominate game development early on. A prosperous country with a wide range of micros to chose from and people that could afford them. Also with kanji being harder to display on low resolution outputs the systems in Japan needed to focus more on graphic capabilities.
              All of which lead to the country having professional game developers ahead of the rest of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                All of which lead to the country having professional game developers ahead of the rest of the world.
                I think attitude counts for a lot too . In my school even the Compuer teacher would laugh if you said you wanted to work in the game industry and consoles were only for nerds with no life and no friends

I think in Japan its was not only socially more acceptable but seen as career move.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                  Do Japanese gaming corps or Japesnse gamers respect anything that isn't made by them. Nintendo had to use British talent to show them how to make 3D games LOL . Never mind how far ahead of the pack the likes of Geoff Crammond racers were for 3D graphics and physics
                  Yeah, you would hope that Japanese gamers have some respect for the British influence on gaming. How Argonaut helped Nintendo with Star Fox and how to create 3D games, is really important.

I would like to think lots of gamers know about Rock Star North
                  It would be interesting to know if American gamers realise that the GTA, Manhunt and Red Dead games were created in the UK. I hope so.

First I think we can all agree that Japan is a given. It brought us Pacman, Super Mario World and Street Fighter II for Christ’s sake, perhaps the finest pieces of gaming code ever created.
                  My list of favourite Japanese games would be crazily long, so Japan is easily, by far my favourite region. All the good stuff Japan has delivered for the arcades and consoles is phenomenal.

Next up I initially thought USA (or NA to be more specific in case Canadian friends are reading). Reason why? The Sierra games, Lucasfilm games, EA in their pomp (I’m talking Desert Strike and Road Rash, not the endless yearly FIFA crap we get these days). It brought us games from the 16-bit like Wing Commander, Dune 2 and Mortal Kombat, all massive, massive hits. If this wasn’t enough then what about the pioneering Atari/Williams/Midway output that brought us arcade games like Asteroids, Defender and Bezerk? Based on this, NA clearly had the best output after Japan.
                  I guess my favourite American game is Doom. There aren't many others that I see as being really special. Not being a big fan of EA and their 16-bit output is a big negative. Although I did really enjoy NHL Hockey for the MD and Road Rash for the 3DO. So my list of favourite American games wouldn't be very long.

Special mention goes to Europe during the Amiga’s heyday that produced some of my favourite games for the machine including Cryo’s Dune, Delphine’s Flashback and Thalion’s No Second Prize. These were among the best Amiga games both technically and in terms of gameplay.
                  Euro devs created some special games for the Amiga, so I have a fondness for that region based on that era. I do think a lot of Euro games were quite lacking when it came to polished gameplay though, so lots of Euro action and platformer games weren't great.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  Japan also had a professional approach to game design, so you'd have people tasked with designing characters and gameplay. It's that approach that really helped to make sure games were polished and had attractive overall design. The West would eventually embrace that sort of approach to game creation during the '90s.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-01-2020, 22:51.

Comment

I would like to think lots of gamers know about Rock Star North
                    In my experience a lot of gamers think that RSN are American... Even Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      In my experience a lot of gamers think that RSN are American... Even Americans.
                      No doubt the same Americans that think Great Britain is actually England LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        Yeah, you would hope that Japanese gamers have some respect for the British influence on gaming. How Argonaut helped Nintendo with Star Fox and how to create 3D games, is really important.
                        I very much doubt it mind

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          Lords of Midnight was just as impressive as Elite.
                          Yeah. I also remember how amazing Euro Fighter and F29 were on the PC DID were amazing developers back then Robocop 3 had some stunning 3D GFX for an Amiga game and it still amazing to see how perfect the likes of Manic Minner and Jet Set Willy were

In the modern era is amazing how well Canada with teams in the likes of Montreal

Comment

Yeah. I also remember how amazing Euro Fighter and F29 were on the PC DID were amazing developers back then Robocop 3 had some stunning 3D GFX for an Amiga game and it still amazing to see how perfect the likes of Manic Minner and Jet Set Willy were

In the modern era is amazing how well Canada with teams in the likes of Montreal
                            Combat Air Patrol for the Amiga really impressed me. Check out the silky smooth polygons and impressive camera angles (including 360 cockpit view), made all the more astonishing running on a stock 7mhz A500:

Comment

Combat Air Patrol for the Amiga really impressed me. Check out the silky smooth polygons and impressive camera angles (including 360 cockpit view), made all the more astonishing running on a stock 7mhz A500:

Just increabile. I loved all those 3D graphics and flight sims on the Amiga and ST

Comment

Americans that think Great Britain is actually England LOL
                                Yeah, it's important to remember that people from all over the British Isles have been part of the UK games industry. I think a lot of them also moved to America and Canada to work for big studios owned by EA etc... Also, Playground Games who make the Forza Horizon games are in the UK, and they're very similar to Bizarre Creations who were a great British dev.

Comment

Working...
                                X