Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retro Arena: The best regions for game development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Arena: The best regions for game development?

Here we have four very distinct regions for game development. Choose 2 regions that you feel have delivered the best games over the past 40+ years.

P.S. I decided to put countries like France and Germany under the EU banner, rather than have their own flag, because lots of people use the term 'euro games' to describe games from those countries. I personally see a clear distinction between British and European game development. I suppose the American banner can also encompass Canada, seeing EA have studios there. I just didn't want to make this topic too complicated with loads of flags.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-12-2019, 17:55.

Great Britain and Japan

Comment

Friendly warning: anyone not answering Japan will be banned.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I suppose the American banner can also encompass Canada
        That's a one week ban right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Great Britain and Japan
          This, equal footing.

Comment

Great Britain and Japan
            They're also easy picks for me. I really appreciate some of the best European and American games, but the UK and Japan have given me the most top quality games over the years.

Maybe a huge fan of Melbourne House will moan about Australia not being included.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Friendly warning: anyone not answering Japan will be banned.
            The 'banhammer' will probably not have to be used.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 30-12-2019, 21:18.

Comment

GB - 8/16bit computers, C64,Speccy & Amiga
              Jpn - MD, SFC, N64, PS etc

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                GB - 8/16bit computers, C64,Speccy & Amiga
                Yeah, the UK created so much good stuff for the 8 & 16-bit computers. Imagine the Amiga without UK games.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                Jpn - MD, SFC, N64, PS etc
                Japan ruled the console market through the '90s. But that situation would change dramatically when the new century began. Japan is still a very relevant territory, but far from as significant as it was during the '80s and '90s.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                  This, equal footing.
                  Great Britain never gets enough credit in gaming. Elite was so far ahead of its time it was untrue and also us Brtish did so much to help shape 3D gaming

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                    Yeah, the UK created so much good stuff for the 8 & 16-bit computers. Imagine the Amiga without UK games. .
                    Imagine the N64 without RARE and imagine a world without Sensible Soccer or Football Manager LOL. That's to overlook how amazing the likes of Codemasters, CORE design were in the 32bit and 16 bit Era

Comment

Great Britain never gets enough credit in gaming.
                      I think the top UK developers have got a lot of respect since the 32-bit era, but before that most UK devs only really got proper recognition in the UK and across Europe. I don't think Japan and America were very aware of The Bitmap Brothers, Sensible Software, and CORE etc... UK devs were very focused on their home market until the games biz became far more professional during the PlayStation era.

Elite was so far ahead of its time it was untrue and also us Brtish did so much to help shape 3D gaming
                      Yeah, a very significant game that felt quite amazing at the time. It gets lots of praise and attention in the UK retro scene, I don't think it's well known in other countries like Japan and America.

Imagine the N64 without RARE
                      RARE are one of the most prominent UK devs that American gamers are fully aware of. A world away from when they were 'Ultimate' and were very much UK-centric. Embracing the NES market radically changed their status.

Once UK devs embraced the world market and popular machines like the PlayStation and N64, they managed to garner a lot of attention and respect. The UK has always had very talented people working in the games industry.

Comment

Don’t forget before Ultimate they made arcade games for other companies.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                          Don’t forget before Ultimate they made arcade games for other companies.
                          What arcade games did the Stamper brothers work on?

Thinking about Ultimate, it was a much loved dev in the UK. Spectrum owners tend to have lots of nostalgia for the games they made. I'm pretty fond of Jetpac, Sabre Wulf(my favourite), Pssst, and Atic Atac.

Comment

It's interesting that the graphics in 'Dingo' are quite similar to Sabre Wulf.

That thread was a very informative read.

Comment

Working...
                            X