King of Dragons PS4
    Knights of the Round PS4
    Battle Circuit PS4
    Powered Gear PS4

Currently working on Onechanbara Origin on PS4

Comment

Hey fammydodd has played some playings!

Comment

I think listing the component games of the Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle is cheating, Juggles!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I think listing the component games of the Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle is cheating, fammydudd!
          You spelled his name wrong.

Comment

Nearly into February and that means it's time for Week 5 - time to take another look at that pile of shame list.

Week 5: 29th Jan-4th Feb
            -----------------------------------

This week I've booted the unplayed game Magic Scroll Tactics, I'm playing this on PC but it's also available on the Nintendo Switch (might be on other platforms too, but I haven't checked).

MST is a tactical RPG - it's similar to Disgaea but the battlefields are only in two dimentions, so you're playing on a sideways scrolling battlefield. Characters can move only the X and Y axis and height definitely gives a tactical advantage.

The usual variation on melee and magic user characters are here, along with healers and non-human types and the story comes along piece meal. It's fine, but it's really just filler between the tactical maps.

Definitely an enjoyable experience and if you like Disgaea style battles, you'll like this one too - not too sure about character progression or unlocks yet, but first impressions allow me to give this game 7 dimensions out of 10.

--------

Also picked up Mortal Kombat 11 Premium edition from CDKeys for cheap. Been avoiding paying a lot for this one because of it being sliced up for extra money, but the premium edition includes most stuff. MK still remains a great fighting game, despite butchering it up and there's a lot of content in the gameto get through, for £15 makes good value.

Not really a lot else to say on this one as it's the same formula MK has always had, so if you like the series, you've probably picked this up already - I give it 8 fatalities out of 10.

--------

And a third unplayed title which turned up on Xbox Live Gold ... TT Isle of Man. No, just no. Bikes do not turn like this, like they're stuck in treacle with the inability to switch directions quickly - maybe the devs have only ever ridden Harleys, but it's not how sports bike react to rider input. Don't waste your time.

I give it 2 BHP out of 10.
            Last edited by MartyG; 04-02-2020, 06:56.

Comment

We are now at Week 6. Golly.

Week 6 runs 5th-11th Feb - get unplayed game face on now.
              -------------------------------------------------------------

This week's titles have both been from Game Pass

First up we have Phoenix Point - this is a Jullian Gollop game which famously screwed over those that backed it on Kickstarter by going Epic Store exclusive. Except it ended up on Game Pass.

It's essentially an over-complicated XCOM, with many of the systems that worked perfectly well expanded upon to add an additional and often unnecessary layer, both on the tactical battles and the strategic area. It makes controlling units that much more complicated. I'm sure, given time, you'd get used to it, but it's definitely not a noob friendly game.

For ages this game wouldn't even get to the title screen and remained broken on the Game Pass launcher - it seems to have been updated recently, so if you had problems before, try it again.

I give Phoenix Point an average 5 Sterner Regnix out of 10.

----------------------------

The second game removed from my pile of shame this week was Indivisible from Lab Zero Games - an Action RPG with a combat mechanic that's a bit different, but I'm not entirely certain is particularly satisfying.

The story seems interesting so far with you ending up with your party members being inside your head - indivisible from yourself. These characters then appear when it's time for combat - which is a case of pressing a,b,x,y on the pad when it's the character's turn in a realtime / turn based hybrid type affair. And it really is just a case of pressing the button either to attack or block. Maybe there's some deeper strategy to it, but it's well hidden if so.

That said, I have found it a generally enjoyable game to play and one that isn't a carbon copy of every other ARPG out there. So I give it 7 antipsychotics out of 10.
              Last edited by MartyG; 09-02-2020, 10:41.

Comment

It is the legendary Week 7 which runs from 12th-18th Feb. Pile of shame, begone. By one more title at least.
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising - PC

I can definitely recommend this one - it's a twin stick, rogue like shooter. The more you play, the better the game gets, gaining weapons and power-ups, death being inevitable but carriers over experience.

Different classes allow for some variance on gameplay, although ultimately it's about shooting enemies.

I give this one 9 permanency out of 10.

------------------

Second unplayed game that will never be booted again

Soulblight PC

A top down rogue like, but melee based and the worse for it. Pretty tedious to play, over complex which dilutes the minimal fun, awful combat. Don't bother with this one. I give it 3 restarts out of 10.
                Last edited by MartyG; 16-02-2020, 11:15.

Comment

If you'd have told me 8 weeks ago, that in 8 weeks time we'd be in week 8 of the 52 week unplayed gaming challenge, I wouldn't have believed you, yet here we are.

Week 8: 19th-25th Feb - go forth and kick that pile of shame in the shins.
                  -----------------------------------------------------

Up on the plate this week has been SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech on Steam

I have a bit of a soft spot for the the SteamWorld games, so I don't know why it's taken so long to getting around to this one. It's a Deck Building RPG, a little bit like Darkest Dungeon (also well worth a look if you've never indulged), but nowhere near as hardcore. This one is a bit more fun and easier to play and also has bit more of a story if you need that kind of thing to keep you going. The basic idea is to wonder through the maps of the different chapters, beating enemies in turn based fights using your card deck. As things progress, the better your characters get and the more cards they find.

There are bits of equipment to find along the way to boost stats, but really it's a card based strategy game, just quite a fun one.

So if you like the SteamWorld universe and you like card-em-ups, then you'll definitely enjoy SteamWorld Quest.

I give this one 9 random decks out of 10.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 22-02-2020, 17:16.

Comment

I'm glad you asked !!!11!! It is indeed Week 9 which runs from 26th Feb-3rd March, tear another strip off that pile of shame
                    -------------------------------------------

Kingdom Hearts 3 (Xbox One Game Pass)

Not really feeling this one - I thought given it's a Sqeenix RPG I'd enjoy it, but I really don't like the combat system in it, it's not very engaging and seems that it lacks nuance, mostly just hammering buttons.

What is better is the story telling - with plenty of cutscenes that are well animated and voices, there is plenty of atmosphere to the game. This is of course helped by the very recognisable characters from Disney countered by what seems a fairly closed world (although I'd expect this to expand as the game progresses).

I might come back to this, but after a couple of hours I'm middling with it - currently I'd give it 6 walking mops out of 10.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 29-02-2020, 11:35.

Comment

For those counting, it's now Week 10: 4th-10th March - jiggle the dust out of those unplayed games sat on the shelf.
                      ------------------------------------------

Train Sim World 2020

For those folk who want to be a train driver and to spend thousands of pounds on DLC, TSW2020 has you covered.

I spent time learning how to drive a train only to be kicked out for running a red light - there was nothing there to hit I tell you.

Even so, the journey was stress free and the rails clickerty clackerty - I give this one 8 points out of 10, depsite the terrible LoD pop-in.

-------------------

F1 2019

From the recent Humble Bundle Monthly (yeah, week 10 and 10 new unplayed games). It's good, because Codemasters do a good F1 game, but they also recycle the same game with a different roster and paint schemes but now you can buy premium customised gloves. Woohoo,

It does feel fast though - going around Monaco in a 90s era Ferrari was pretty exhilarating fair, so whilst I wouldn't have picked this up at full price (nor will I with F1 2020), they are worth grabbing on the cheap when the new season starts.

I give the game 8 rumble strips out of 10.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 07-03-2020, 20:23.

Comment

Today marks the beginning of Week 11, running 11th-17th March with totally Coronavirus free games. Let the deshame begin.
                        -------------------------------------------------
                        Lichtspeer: Double Speer Edition - this one is on Game Pass and is leaving soon. It's an interesting little indie game, you throw spears at an ever increasing number of enemies, with new enemy types introduced with each level. It's a sort of rogue-lite action game as you can earn points to spend on skills to increase success rates and then chase high scores. I give it 8 pointy bits out of 10.

I've also ventured into Call of Duty Warzone. I was a bit skeptical that this would be completely filled with microtransactions, but this stuff isn't hugely in your face even though it's there. The game is actually very slickly done and I've enjoyed playing this more than PUBG. I prefer the "Plunder" mode more than the Battle Royale, but as a free-to-play title, it's one I'd definitely say give it a go despite the 90GB odd download. CoD:W gets 9 rubber bullets out of 10.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 15-03-2020, 09:03.

Comment

Like a silent virus, Week 12 nearly slipped by unnoticed it runs from 18th-24th March without a dry cough
                          --------------------------------------------------

Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PC)

I wasn't planning on buying this but it turned up cheap in the sales. Ubisoft have improved things a little bit since it launched, but it's still not really a GR game. There are parts of it that allow planning via the drones, but the mech stuff just seems out of place, as does the character progression. I can give that a bit of a pass as the tech trees are quite interesting. At least the microtransactions have been scaled back, the game doesn't really feel like it needs them.

The hub world definitely shouldn't have been part of this game though. Hopefully the patch that's coming soon will move it more back towards the GR aspects.

As it is, I give it 6 ricochettes out of 10. It's not completely terrible.

---------------

Ace Combat 7 (Xbox One)

It's typical of this series, get in a plane and shoot things down in an arcadey sort of way. Looks great, plays fine - if you like this series, this is definitely one of the better outings to check out but I find they quickly get a bit boring.

I give it 7 afterburners out of 10.

------

I also tried Assassin's Creed Odyssey on the free game days on Xbox One, but I don't really consider this part of the 52 week challenge given it's not a purchase (I suppose Game Pass technically isn't either, but you are paying something for access). Seemed okay, but I'm not a massive fan of the series.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 22-03-2020, 18:22.

Comment

Unlucky for some, it's Week 13 and runs from 25th-31st March - you've got a mild form of virus, you're off work, you've got time to clear some of your pile of shame. Have at it.
                            ----------------------------------

Abandon Ship

Yah ha ha - a pirate life for me. Picked this up for £3 as it looked ok, but it's fairly basic combining some RTS with strategy and adventure elements. You are a crew of pirates running away from a cult looking after a ship and exploring the high seas.

For £3 I can't really complain, but it's hardly a compelling game and UI is a bit convoluted. I give the game 5 parrots out of 10.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 29-03-2020, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Judgment
                              Captain Toad
                              Candy Crush Saga
                              Batman Arkham Knight
                              Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Super Mario 3D World - WiiU
                              Mini Metro - Android
                              Doom 2016 - PS4
                              Been really lax with this. You'd think the lockdown would mean I've played loads of games but sadly two small children require looking after.

Played a few more though:

Gears of War 2 (Xbone)
                              Gears of War 3 (Xbone)
                              Uncharted 4 (to completion) (PS4)
                              Dead or Alive 6: Core Fighters (Xbone)
                              Wonderful 101 (WiiU)

So that's 12 games and we're in week 12. Not bad going.

Comment

Don't be a fool - it's Week 14 running 1st-7th April - get that backlog cleared.
                                -----------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X