The 52 Games of 2020 Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 52 Games of 2020 Challenge Thread

It may be a new year but despite Kryss's The 12 Games of Kryss-mas 4K GOTY TA-approved edition thread, I still have loads of unplayed titles in my growing pile of shame. In fact I have more now due to Steam's Christmas sale.

So, much like the above thread, this is a challenge to get through some of that backlog and play an unplayed game a week for each week of 2020 (even if it's only for a few minutes - this is about trying your unplayed games - not completing a game a week). If you want to play more than one a week, go for it, but 52 is the bar to reach by the end of 2020 (I thought 365 might be pushing it a bit ).

So for those that have a backlog and like me need a reason to play through some of them, this is the thread for you. Perhaps if you find a game in that back catalogue you really like and decide to keep playing until you finish it, you should visit the Your Completed Games 2020 Edition thread

The challenge starts now and I'll add the week boundaries as we go.

Week 1: 1st-7th Jan
    Week 2: 8th-14th Jan
    Week 3: 15th-21st Jan
    Week 4: 22nd-28th Jan
    Week 5: 29th Jan-4th Feb
    Week 6: 5th-11th Feb
    Week 7: 12th-18th Feb
    Week 8: 19th-25th Feb
    Week 9: 26th Feb-3rd March
    Week 10: 4th-10th March
    Week 11: 11th-17th March
    Week 12: 18th-24th March
    Week 13: 25th-31st March
    Week 14: 1st-7th April
    Week 15: 8th-14th April
    Week 16: 15th-21st April
    Week 17: 22nd-28th April
    Week 18: 29th April-5th May
    Week 19: 6th-12th May
    Week 20: 13th-19th May
    Last edited by MartyG; 22-01-2020, 10:51.

Daaaamn, son!

I'm not sure I played 52 games in the last decade!

Comment

So, what happens at the end of a week? Do you drop the game you were playing to start the new one?

I'm playing some Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on the Switch tonight.

Had it since launch but only ever did the first level!! So, while the missus is doing some work this evening I've got The Lion King on TV and the Switch in handheld mode.

Comment

Well the first will deffo be Arkham Knight GOTY for me. First game of 2020, think I'll cane this like I did Arkham Asylum back around this time in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          So, what happens at the end of a week? Do you drop the game you were playing to start the new one?
          There aren't really any rules other than play at least one unplayed game in your pile of shame every week of 2020.

The idea is simply to clear your back catalogue, so scrub a game off the list each week, rather than only playing a single game for the whole week and start a new one after that seven days. Have as many on the go as you like and at the end of 2020 you should have 52 less unplayed games

Comment

Cool.

On that note I've just finished the 18 main levels of Captain Toad.

Brief isn't the word.

EDIT: Oh wait, there's another episode.
            Last edited by teddymeow; 01-01-2020, 21:10.

Comment

I'd love to say that I don't have enough unplayed to do this...but Steam alone would keep me going for 3 years.

Comment

I think this is an impossible feat for me to aim for... 12 games would be a more realistic figure for me tbh. One game a month would be a more achievable target.

But this is an interesting challenge for the more avid gamer with well more time than me. Will be interesting to see how many will meet the 52 game challenge. No doubt handheld gamers will have an advantage. As an armchair gamer myself (I only play games from the comfort of my TV) I am already at my first hurdle.

Comment

Week 1

The Crew 2 (PC)

I've spent a couple of hours playing this now and whilst it's not the greatest looking game ever, the scope of the game is quite impressive. I picked this up with all the DLCs for £18 and for that price that's a lot of racing for your money. The story is meh (and thankfully skipable) but the racing works well in an arcadey style. I think Forza Horizon slightly has it pipped in the way the cars handle, but here you can flick between air, sea and road and this works suprisingly well. The boat racing which I didn't think I'd like is perhaps my favourite series of racing so far (the air not so much).

It's the free roam though that's the best part of this game, in a smilar vain to Test Drive Unlimited (remember that game?). Travelling from LA into Las Vegas as my destination in my MX-5 I went through highways to single lane roads and eventually approached LV where it started snowing. Models are simplified to allow for such a huge map and distances, like with Truck Simulator, are compressed to allow you to make the journey without spending weeks on the road, but I'd reckon a trip from San Fransico on the West coast to New York on the East in game would take an hour or so to complete. There's enough here though to make cities recognisable.

A huge improvement from The Crew 1 so I'd give this one 8 red lines out of 10. I shall definitely be playing some more of this.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    I shall definitely be playing some more of this.
                    No you won't, you've got 51 more games to get through!

Comment

I think we need a more realistic target for us of a certain age!

For example, I completed 2 games last year but due to my excitement of The Witcher, I’ve spun up Wuther III GOTY and have planned to complete it... In 2020! DLC and all!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                        I think we need a more realistic target for us of a certain age!

For example, I completed 2 games last year but due to my excitement of The Witcher, I’ve spun up Wuther III GOTY and have planned to complete it... In 2020! DLC and all!
                        The DLC is superb.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post

The DLC is superb.
                          My Brother loved it and has got me into the series but I got stuck in Witcher 3 years ago and never went back. Plan on getting stuck in and playing it till competition then trying blood and wine. You played it all?

Comment

Yes. It’s my favourite game of all time. The combat and stuff is a bit average, but the world, characters and quests are great. My advice would be, really listen to the story. Don’t skip scenes.

Hearts of Stone is the best DLC story-wise, with some of the best missions I’ve ever played. Blood and Wine has some great characters and a fantastic setting.

Comment

Plan is to settle back into the start of the game on Sunday & will focus on the main game from then on. I always get bored in open world games doing side quests but main lining them keeps my interest levels up.

The TV show has hooked me so hoping that enthusiasm drives me into the world. Can’t wait!

Comment

Working...
                              X