The Witcher (Netflix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Witcher (Netflix)

I've always admired The Witcher games from afar as they were PC only but The Witcher III came out of nowhere, and to consoles too, but despite appreciating it, I played about 5 hours and slowly drifted away.

However, a well meaning friend trying to get me into Lord of the Rings, made me sit down and watch Fellowship this Christmas break but after enduring 3 hours, I decided it wasn't for me. However, loving Sci-Fi and liking bits of fantasy, my Brother reminded me The Witcher was out on Netflix and after watching 1 episode, I was transfixed. Over 3 days, I've watched all of Series 1 and it's left me on a real high after finishing the last episode. So much so, I'm now on my PC after re-downloading The Witcher III on Steam!

If anyone loves fanasy as a genre, the Witcher games and novels or like myself, has never really connected with the fantasy genre, then I urge you to give this a go. I can't think of any work of art in recent memory that has gripped me like this TV show and has allowed me to delve back into the game I hadn't given a chance to worm its way in.

Just watched the first couple of Episodes, having never heard of the books or games before, it was quite decent, going to see out the rest.

Comment

Quite confused tbh. Several times I'm sat there thinking "how is this possible?" and then a few minutes later realise it's a flashback. No idea wtf is going on in the plot. Will probably soldier on.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Quite confused tbh. Several times I'm sat there thinking "how is this possible?" and then a few minutes later realise it's a flashback. No idea wtf is going on in the plot. Will probably soldier on.
        I'd recommend keeping going, and just taking in the events as they're presented. It does all make sense in the end.

Comment

Excatly, let it wash over you and when you are confused, the script wants you to be in that state before you get a pay off.

That playing around with time lines reminded me of Memento.

Comment

I've read the two books that much of this first series is based on (The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny) and the way the scriptwriters have screwed with the chronology is a pointless contrivance that doesn't really add anything. Putting episode 1 and 4 literally back to front, for example, is particularly stupid, and I too would be confused if I hadn't read the stuff. That said, the moment to moment adventuring and characterization is pretty fantastic, especially as it doesn't take itself too seriously. Anyone else here think that Yennefer was hotter before she made the change? Anyway, the actress portraying her is amazing.

Comment

Watched one and a half episodes of this and I have no idea what to make of it. Is it parody? Why is he doing a comic Batman voice? The bit where he was talking to his horse was hilarious. Was it meant to be? And the sets, lighting and extras really remind me of Mortal Kombat Conquest. Mad to think that something like Mortal Kombat Conquest or Hercules could come out today and stand alongside one of Netflix’s top new shows. Is it because I didn’t watch years of Game of Thrones that I’m having a hard time with this show? Or is it that I skipped Harry Potter? Is this what Harry Potter fans watch when they grow up? I can’t imagine I’ll watch any more but it’s definitely a curiosity so that’s something.

Comment

Its not got the largest budget (one would assume a chunk of the budget has gone towards covering actor's fees and shooting costs). As it stands I think they've done a solid job overall (its not without its issues but no show is perfect.

Fingers crossed they had a bigger budget for season 2. Its been greenlighted and is shooting this year. It makes sense whist the actors are still invested in their roles. I think they did a pretty great job with casting as well (a couple of debatable appointments aside). Otherwise this is not a bad effort at all for something that could easily have gone sideways.

Comment

I got seven minutes into episode 1 and Netflix did a spool-quit.

The voice is pretty similar to the game.
                  [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION] - watch Potter, watch GoT and play The Witcher. Then it will make sense!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Watched one and a half episodes of this and I have no idea what to make of it. Is it parody? Why is he doing a comic Batman voice? The bit where he was talking to his horse was hilarious. Was it meant to be? And the sets, lighting and extras really remind me of Mortal Kombat Conquest. Mad to think that something like Mortal Kombat Conquest or Hercules could come out today and stand alongside one of Netflix’s top new shows. Is it because I didn’t watch years of Game of Thrones that I’m having a hard time with this show? Or is it that I skipped Harry Potter? Is this what Harry Potter fans watch when they grow up? I can’t imagine I’ll watch any more but it’s definitely a curiosity so that’s something.
                    You've kinda nailed it, though.

Fantasy, as well as becoming violent & sexy on TV largely thanks to GoT, has become a bit po-faced and serious. It's interesting that The Witcher came out around the same time as The Mandalorian, because I think both of them have that lighter tone akin to the shows you allude to; Hercules, Xena, Stargate.

The show of The Witcher isn't designed to push the boundaries of television and has no allusions to being high art. It's just meant to be fun, and I think it delivers.

Comment

I really enjoyed it! Also got a Henry Cavill man crush

Comment

Loved it, though agree with a comment from the BBC review, that said (paraphrasing here): "Cavill is like a 'best-dressed' winner at a Witcher cosplay event".
                        Last edited by gunrock; 13-01-2020, 12:03.

Comment

Yeah they haven't nailed the believably of the world which is something GOT managed by not introducing magical elements until season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                            Yeah they haven't nailed the believably of the world which is something GOT managed by not introducing magical elements until season 2.
                            Maybe it just isn't a priority for them, though.

Comment

Toss a coin to your witcher has been embedded in my head since Friday. I was a bit late to this but I binged it over the weekend and loved it. Looking forward to the 2nd series.

This and the games really make me want to give the books a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X