• Show
Clear All

My faves were:

Ferrari F-355
    HOTD2
    Bangai-O
    Shenmue
    Mars Matrix (on pirate)

I loved ALL the Capcom 2D fighters on there but it's so hard to choose as they were practically all brilliant. Did like the SF3 with two versions on the disc even if Third Strike kinda makes it redundant. It's nice to have.

(Honorable mention Re:Volt, or however you punctuate it)

Comment

Mars Matrix was crazy in terms of visuals and audio. And gameplay too, come to think of it. Great game.
      My other four would be Rez, Cosmic Smash, Ikaruga and Border Down. I'm amazed the last one hasn't been remade in HD. It was ace.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post

Ferrari F-355
        I remember loving F355 back in the day -- the graphics were stunning back then. It was a very tough racer to get to grips with, but I ended up being quite good at it.

Originally posted by gordon View Post
        and Border Down. I'm amazed the last one hasn't been remade in HD. It was ace.
        Yeah, G.rev ported Under Defeat to the PS3 & 360, but not Border Down. It deserves an HD port to consoles and PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I remember loving F355 back in the day -- the graphics were stunning back then. It was a very tough racer to get to grips with, but I ended up being quite good at it
          Played with the DC wheel it was amazing. Every game on that list is bloody awesome truth be told

Comment

I didn't know that it wasn't released in the UK -- Alpha 3 and 3rd Strike were. I didn't feel CvS2 was popular enough against other DC fighting games to make the cut. Obviously, people who really like CvS2 would disagree with me. I think 3rd Strike is more popular.
            CvS1 was, and CvS1 Pro for the PS1, but CvS2 wason't released on Dreamcast (CvS2 would also see release here for GameCube and Xbox).

Personally I always found CvS2 to be a fantastic game. I know the purists might take exception to its visual flaws (they mixed sprites from different games, with different resolutions, so it looks pretty janky in parts). The music is... Unique... And the game, due to the ratio system, is almost designed to be a bit broken (Ratio 4 Haomaru is just a BEAST). However, the sheer range of characters and variety of moves, setups and stuff just gives it so much longevity. I had a couple of friends who were good at it, and we played it nightly for upwards of 5 years, interspersed with Third Strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              CvS1 was, and CvS1 Pro for the PS1, but CvS2 wason't released on Dreamcast (CvS2 would also see release here for GameCube and Xbox).
              Do you mean in the West, cos it very much WAS released on Dreamcast first?

Early 00's this and SF III 3rd Strike, and VF4 were the games that everyone in the arcades was playing in Japan. The fighting scene changed after that and become more about online and E-sports.
              Last edited by tokyochojin; 22-01-2020, 09:35.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                Do you mean in the West, cos it very much WAS released on Dreamcast first?
                Yeah, sorry, I meant in the UK. CvsS 2 was never released here on DC.

Comment

Maybe I should have included it, so I'll give it another go. I can imagine it looking really nice upscaled.
                  No Leon. Do not give in to peer pressure or bullying. It's a bad game, and it deserves not to be remembered. I have just this morning burned my copy of Toy Commander, and the unreleased dev copy of Toy Commander 2 which I got when interviewing the devs. You were right Leon. Toy Commander is terrible. Like Floigan Bros. Do not give it another go. Stick to your guns. Stick to your convictions. Be proud and loud.

Comment

His head is going down the bog later and his dinnar money is ganna be shook down anarl.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                      No Leon. Do not give in to peer pressure or bullying. It's a bad game, and it deserves not to be remembered. .
                      Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                      His head is going down the bog later and his dinnar money is ganna be shook down anarl.

To be completely honest with you guys, I channel the Retro Arena game lists from the almighty GamesMaster. So please respect his decisions and gaming wisdom -- otherwise you'll be sent to gaming purgatory where you'll have to play Rise of the Robots and Bubsy 3D for eternity.

Comment

Going off list for most of these!

Shenmue: I'll get it out of the way, I love this game. It's absolutely not something everyone can enjoy, you really need to be somebody who can just appreciate the atmosphere of the relatively mundane and the sheer attention to banal detail - every security guard at the docks having their own name and personality, people enjoying a daily routine, the way it all feels when weather changes. I like the sequel a lot, but it loses some of the detail in favour of action.
                        Tech Romancer: I never hear anyone mention this game - it's an arcade fighting game about giant robots, most of which are based loosely on famous anime ones. It's a great fun game, but absolutely packed with content - every character has branching storylines with tons to unlock. Some are quite serious stories whereas others are daft, all presented like it's some anime show with full voiceovers and title cards etc. I strongly recommend it. You don't have to be into mecha, I'm not and I love it!
                        Tokyo Bus Guide: Funny but challenging bus driving game where you drive around having to obey traffic rules and not bash into stuff. You have a life bar that goes down - forget to indicate and you'll lose a bit, run a stop sign and you'll lose a lot, hit a car and you'll almost certainly game over. Has a nice look and gentle guitar soundtrack, the atmosphere of the stages is quite nice too. It isn't a stunning-looking game but it does look pleasant.
                        Jet Set Radio: Absolutely fantastic game that was made with a real passion. Ace soundtrack (one of the best of any modern game), superb style, really fun to play - you can pick it up quite easily and gradually master it. The look of the game is excellent - people remark on the cel-shading but that's only a small part of it, it's only really used on players/enemies/pickups. It's more the nice crisp textures and great-looking stages - the cool look of Shibuya, the bright lights of the night one, the sunsets of the rundown residential area. If you slow down and really look, the design and detail is really thoughtful.
                        Shutokou Battle/Tokyo Highway Challenge: The first one! This is a super smooth 60fps racing game based around tuning your cars and it looks so crisp but also plays well. It's not for everyone, but I love the pumping soundtrack and the exhausts blasting flames when you change gear. The second is also good but the first has much better music and more charm I think.

Please feel free to disagree and hound me to the ends of the earth!

Comment

Tokyo Bus Guide is an absolute banger. It’s just a shame the draw distance is so poor and the graphics so ropey. It’s really fun to play.

Comment

I think the graphics look good sometimes, like in the city at night. But the rural area looks very unfinished and half-arsed. It is definitely worth playing though!

Comment

Fire Pro Wrestling D was my most played game on the system, still have 5 VMU's full of downloaded moves and edits.

Other big time sinks being SF Rush 2049, PSO and Record of Lodoss War.

Comment

Here we have a collection of some of the best Dreamcast games. Choose 5 that you think are the 'best of the best'.

P.S. I've included sequels to some games as being the same choice, but it's fine to say which one you like the most.
                                Also, there are other good games that failed to make the final list, but I made sure to include lots of big hitters and gems.

Couple of big admissions on that list, so I'll added that in my 5 picks

Record of Lodoss War
                                Capcom vs SNK 2
                                Border Down
                                Skies of Arcadia
                                Phantasy Star Online Ver 2

Comment

Working...
                                X