• Show
Clear All

At the time, I would’ve chosen…

Code Veronica
    MSR
    Rez
    Ikaruga
    Virtua Tennis 2

…but I got a bit bored of Virtua Tennis from the many sequels, MSR and Code Veronica were probably superceeded by newer games on other platforms, there are lots of versions of Rez, and I came to realise Ikaruga involves too much thought for a shump and I’ll never be great at it!

So today, I think I’d chose…

Bangai-o
    Power Stone
    Jet Set Radio
    Space Channel 5 Part 2 (I’m making this part 2 as I think it improves on the original in every way)
    Borderdown…or maybe Zero Gunner 2 (it’s a while since I’ve played either)

At the time I considered JSR to be all style over substance. It looked amazing, but it didn’t feel to play great, especially as I was was a bit of a THPS addict. Having re-played it on the PS3, it was a bit flawed, but I was probably a bit harsh.

I’ve never been a massive fighting game fan, but I played a lot of Project Justice. I just liked all the character designs! I also played a lot of Mars Matrix, Gigawing 2, THPS2 and Revolt.

Comment

Giga Wing would be on my list if I'd had the choice. It's easily my favourite shmup and most played game in the entire genre.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
        Couple of big admissions on that list, so I'll added that in my 5 picks

Record of Lodoss War
        Capcom vs SNK 2
        Border Down
        Skies of Arcadia
        Phantasy Star Online Ver 2
        Walks into a betting shop and bets on a horse that isn't racing.

I think a 32 games list featuring big name classics and some popular gems is more than enough. When these Retro Arena topics are focused on games, there will likely be a few missing that some people would have included. The final games list will always have a somewhat personal touch, so I can't please everyone 100%.

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
        Borderdown…or maybe Zero Gunner 2 (it’s a while since I’ve played either)
        As much as I appreciate Border Down, it's a really tough cookie. I've had more fun with Zero Gunner 2 over the years, so I'd choose that over BD.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
        Giga Wing would be on my list if I'd had the choice. It's easily my favourite shmup and most played game in the entire genre.
        I've never seen it get much fanfare in its Dreamcast guise, so I decided against including it. But I do think it's a good game. Maybe I'll do a specific Dreamcast shooters Arena at some point.

Comment

Maybe I'll do a specific Dreamcast shooters Arena at some point.[/QUOTE]

Yes please, loads to choose from too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post

Yes please, loads to choose from too!!
            Yeah, there's a nice collection of shooters for the Dreamcast, including quite a few that were made after the machine ceased production. It will just be a 'Dreamcast shooters' topic rather than a Best of the Best sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              Yeah, there's a nice collection of shooters for the Dreamcast, including quite a few that were made after the machine ceased production. It will just be a 'Dreamcast shooters' topic rather than a Best of the Best sort of thing.
              And then some that came out after the shmups that came out after the machine ceased production. Yes, I am referring to the utterly awesome Sturmwind.

Comment

Total coincidence, I bought Sturmwind in the sale on Playasia at the beginning of the week for just over £15. It’s currently en route. Never played it before so looking forward to giving it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                  Yes, I am referring to the utterly awesome Sturmwind.
                  Yeah, Sturmwind is something special. I didn't include it because it came out ages after the Dreamcast production ended and it also doesn't get mentioned very often. I'll definitely include it in an Arena focused on DC shooters.

Comment

Sturmwind is excellent and the recent current gen release looks stunning on X in 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      Sturmwind is excellent and the recent current gen release looks stunning on X in 4k.
                      I forgot that it's been released on the Xbox, so I'll put it on my list of games to buy.

Must look, as you say, stunning in 4K. Already looks really nice on the Dreamcast through VGA.

Comment

Rez.
                        Typing of the Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          Typing of the Dead.
                          A funny spin-off game. I'd rather play HOTD2 with a gun though. Or The Pinball of the Dead on the GBA, which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            Tech Romancer: I never hear anyone mention this game - it's an arcade fighting game about giant robots, most of which are based loosely on famous anime ones. It's a great fun game, but absolutely packed with content - every character has branching storylines with tons to unlock. Some are quite serious stories whereas others are daft, all presented like it's some anime show with full voiceovers and title cards etc. I strongly recommend it. You don't have to be into mecha, I'm not and I love it!
                            Tech Romancer had a great video you could unlock... it really reminded you of an unrealeased classic animated series, which was the point I think, read about some designer or director involved in some of it. I didn't play it enough but I still prefer local 2 player games to online and always will. Gaming died when it went online for me.

Rival Schools, everyone loves the DC sequel but I feel the first game is better, it was more quirky and had an edge to it that seemed lost in the follow up. The saddest thing is they abandoned the series. Would rather have had another Rival Schools than Sf4 or 5.

My fave game on DC is Capcom V SNK Pro. The pro bit matters because the updated speed setting made it a lot more fun, I prefer it to the sequel because of the brilliant backgrounds and music, even though most will prefer the second game. I even bought a lovely poster off someone on here which I never put up then lost. I'd buy one again if anyone had one for sale.

Bangai O too, loved that at the time, felt no other console had anything like that, even knowing it was an N64 game.

Comment

I hear you about Rival schools. I'm the biggest Dreamcast fan and the sequel is a great game but it did lose some of the darker grittyness of the original.
                              Wrote a brief review of the game here, definitley one Capcom could bring back!
                              Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                A funny spin-off game. I'd rather play HOTD2 with a gun though. Or The Pinball of the Dead on the GBA, which is great.
                                Have you tried Metroid Pinball on the DS? Also good.

Comment

Working...
                                X