Phantasy Star Online
    Cosmic Smash
    Zero Gunner 2
    Sonic Adventure 2
    REZ
    Ikaruga
    Border Down
    Under Defeat

Here we have a collection of some of the best Dreamcast games. Choose 5 that you think are the 'best of the best'.

P.S. I've included sequels to some games as being the same choice, but it's fine to say which one you like the most.
    Also, there are other good games that failed to make the final list, but I made sure to include lots of big hitters and gems.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-01-2020, 02:16.

Yes, everything on the Dreamcast is the best.

Comment

If I can only pick 5 then it's this lot:

Soul Calibur:
      Quite possibly my favourite beat em up of all time.
      Virtua Tennis 2:
      This is still my go to tennis game.
      Rez:
      As mesmerizing today as it ever was.
      Jet Set Radio:
      Still amazing and cool after all these years. I had a blast replaying it on Steam a few years back.
      Crazy Taxi:
      Arcade perfection.

PSO didn't make the cut despite being the game I played the most on DC. It's still fun, but it's also the one game on that list I'll probably never go back to, much as I love it. I'll always cherish the memories though

Comment

-Soul Calibur
        -Shenmue I & II
        -Power Stone 2
        -Samba de Amigo
        -Metropolis Street Racer

Shenmue aside which gets the nod due to the impressiveness of it on the system these are the key ones these days. Everything has been spread so far and wide they don't really feel like DC games anymore. These are the true bloods now.

Comment

1) REZ - The 2nd best game SEGA ever made

2) Code Veronica - The best RE game with a wonderfull cast of characters and epic setting

3) JSR - So Cool, so SEGA

4) PSO - The best online game ever

5) Sonic Adventure - The best Sonic game ever

Comment

Samba de amigo
            Samba de amigo
            Samba de amigo
            Samba de amigo
            Samba de amigo

The only reason my Dreamcast still is here or it would have been in the bin lol. Even in the rhythm game genre this one is pretty unique the fact Sega managed to replicate the magnetic proximity sensors of the arcade into something that actually worked on a home console is no small feat. And it actually works too not like that wii abomination where you’ll have no idea if it’s gonna detect the right inputs. Wish Sega would remaster this for PS4 it would easily work with move controllers if beat saber can make those things super accurate then samba could be made to work too.

Comment

Bass Fishing, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Shenmue 1 & 2, Crazy Taxi.

Comment

Out of those games listed, I would have to say

1. Ikaruga - The Black/White polarity system was such a great mechanic. Played it loads but could never get onto the last level. Have since bought it on the Gamecube and twice digitally. Still can’t get any further.

2. Metropolis Street Racer - Again, this was different from other games of its kind with the Kudos system. Was one of the first games I bought for the Dreamcast and was blown away by the graphics at the time.

3. Rez - Never played a musical on rail shooter before. Just seemed super cool at the time.

4. Cosmic Smash - Virtua Tennis a better game but I preferred this for some reason.

5. Jet Set Radio - A game to impress all your non Dreamcast owning friends. When it was released, it was the game they all wanted to play when round at my house. Never completed it mind you and bought it on the Xbox when it came out and wasn’t as impressed with it as much as I thought I would be, but at the time it was amazing.

Love the Dreamcast and still have mine hooked up with one of those Akura HDMI boxes. There’s no 2D fighters on the list which I would have included in my top five. I think the Dreamcast received the first home port of Street Fighter III and I still play it today even though there are better versions with better control methods out there. Anyway, 2d fighters probably deserve their own Retro Arena (has there been one?)

Comment

Originally posted by Armchair Critic View Post
                  Anyway, 2d fighters probably deserve their own Retro Arena (has there been one?)
                  Crikey, I can see this being a tough pick. I mean I’d find it hard enough to pick a top five SNK fighters, or top five Capcom fighters, never mind including all the other stuff like your Mortal Kombats or Guilty Gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Yes, everything on the Dreamcast is the best.

Let's forget about Fighting Force 2 and some other less than stellar games.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                    Samba de amigo
                    Samba de amigo
                    Samba de amigo
                    Samba de amigo
                    Samba de amigo

The only reason my Dreamcast still is here or it would have been in the bin lol.

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                    Bass Fishing,
                    I thought about adding Bass Fishing, but I felt other games were more worthy. But I've now added a couple of games: House of the Dead 2 & 3rd Strike. Super Magnetic Neo, as much as I like it, can make way for Capcom's classic fighter.

4. Cosmic Smash - Virtua Tennis a better game but I preferred this for some reason.
                    I also prefer it. There's something magical about the design and overall vibe that really grabs me.

5. Jet Set Radio - A game to impress all your non Dreamcast owning friends. When it was released, it was the game they all wanted to play when round at my house. Never completed it mind you and bought it on the Xbox when it came out and wasn’t as impressed with it as much as I thought I would be, but at the time it was amazing.
                    Yeah, Jet Set Radio was truly amazing back in the day. Such brilliant design.

I think the Dreamcast received the first home port of Street Fighter III and I still play it today Anyway, 2d fighters probably deserve their own Retro Arena (has there been one?)
                    I've now added 3rd Strike and removed Magnetic Neo. I'll definitely make a 2D fighter Arena at some point.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-01-2020, 02:32.

Comment

3rd Strike and House of the Dead 2 added.

Changed my mind a little bit.
                      Last edited by Leon Retro; 25-01-2020, 12:07.

Comment

I'll take, (although it's criminal that Capcom vs SNK 2 is missing)

Power Stone
                        The House of the Dead 2
                        Shenmue 1 & 2
                        Jet Set Radio
                        Crazy Taxi 1

I think that this lot would hit all the right spots for me!
                        Last edited by tokyochojin; 20-01-2020, 07:21.

Comment

MSR. Still my favourite racer.

Crazy Taxi. This was pure, colourful, quick-blast fun.

Virtua Tennis

Space Channel 5. Completely mental idea, stylish as hell and great fun.

Soul Calibur

Honourable mentions - I like the idea of Powerstone, but I'm crap at in. I like the style of Jet Set Radio, but I can't play it to save my life. I might have picked Ready2Rumble had it been an option.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                            it's criminal that Capcom vs SNK 2 is missing

As much as I liked Capcom vs SNK 2, it's not a game I'm overly fond of. It also doesn't get mentioned much these days. So there's a personal touch to the games I included, but also recognition of really popular games within the mainstream and enthusiast markets. These topics are obviously created from my point of view, so there will always be discussion on games that aren't featured.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                            MSR. Still my favourite racer.

Crazy Taxi. This was pure, colourful, quick-blast fun.
                            I haven't played MSR for ages, but I'm tempted to return to it. Crazy Taxi is, as you say, a colourful bit of pure fun. Such a nice game.

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                            I might have picked Ready2Rumble had it been an option.
                            I remember liking Ready 2 Rumble back in the day, but I didn't think it was special enough to make the final list. It was a good game but hasn't got much fanfare since those days.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-01-2020, 17:45.

Comment

Crazy Taxi
                              This game symbolises everything special about the Dreamcast for me. Looks beautiful, blue skies, Arcade derived and quite unlike any other game. It's simple on the surface but the special moves and memorising the routes around the city requires some skill but above all, it's just a joyous and wonderful ride. My favourite Dreamcast game.

Jet Set Radio
                              As a 14 year old kid, I had never heard music quite like this and the vibe infuses all parts of the game. Some parts of the cotrol have aged but the feeling of setting up a long grind, dodging bullets and tagging the last area in the time limit is a real thrill.

Shenmue
                              A recurring theme of all Dreamcast games is there's nothing quite like it. Shenmue is probally the definition of it. A real life simulator, it can be boring and mundane but that is where the beauty laid for me; Just pottering around this sleepy Japanese town whilst trying to earn a living, just to afford a bus fair to continue the story. In some ways it mirrored my own life back then, directionless, obsessed with games but no plan for the future, only thing is I wasn't a martial artist nor living in the 1980's.

Yes, the control is pretty awful nowadays, the voice acting is awful and there's some issues with pacing, but the atmosphere, sense of mundane purpose and world building has never been bettered by any game.

Daytona USA 2001
                              An overlooked classic. It takes all that was brilliant about the old AM2 racers of the 90's, slaps it in a brand new engine and ups the circuit count with some of my favourite of the Sega Arcade era, shout out to Mermaid Lake! Once you lower the control sensitivity and acclimatise to the steering and shift down drifting, it's one hell of an Arcade racer.

Virtua Fighter 3
                              The most marginalised one on one fighters ever? I feel so, what was once a criticism; Stages that were not level and a simplified button set up quickly became its strength for me. No mainline fighter had ever tried something so radical which shook the tree so well, it brought people who never liked fighters over to it, yet it threw out some of the players who loved VF2. To this day, I look at the stages in their (Not quite) Model 3 glory and remember seeing them rendered for the first time.

Compiling that list above is one of the hardest I've ever had to do. If you say name my top 10 games of all time, I can slowly start to make that list. But if you ask me my favourite DC games, seeing all these wonderful, beautiful, innovative games together, I just can't seperate them!

More than any other platform, I feel the Dreamcast remains one of the best consoles of all time. Its diversity and quality is unmatched.

Comment

Working...
                              X