The Thing 3: Frozen Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I post this every few years, but it's a short story with the events of The Thing, but written from the viewpoint of the alien.
    Massive spoilers, obviously, so don't read if you've never seen the film.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
    That’s awesome good post QC.

Comment

What would be excellent if this was a showcase for the best practical FX the business now has to offer, but we know 100% that wont happen. Actually enjoyed the 2011 offering but the dodgy CG does take you out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
        Or 'Hollywood' could just leave it alone and make something that isn't a reboot, remake, sequel, spin-off...or have anything to do with Marvel.
        I agree 100% with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
          Or 'Hollywood' could just leave it alone and make something that isn't a reboot, remake, sequel, spin-off...
          I knew this would come up, but at least this is doing something different by referencing the original source material. I'll read the book to see how it differs.

I wish Hollywood would have a crack at remaking some so-so films, rather than classics that don't need remaking.
          I wonder, do these remakes make money that help fund original films from the same studio or does the studio just go with safe bets? I know it's showbusiness, but all these remakes would be easier to accept if you knew it funded original (non-comic book!) films.

Either way, it's not like they delete the original film, so just leave them to it. Watch them or don't. Griping on the internet won't stop them!

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
          What would be excellent if this was a showcase for the best practical FX the business now has to offer, but we know 100% that wont happen. Actually enjoyed the 2011 offering but the dodgy CG does take you out of it.
          I'm currently of the mindset of practical effects with CGI enhancement is the way forward, Like Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, John Wick 3 or Mad Max: Fury Road, where the line between the real and digital is hard to detect.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I Watch them or don't. Griping on the internet won't stop them!
            I'm not trying to stop them, just using the internet to project my anger. Much like why I became a teacher, to project my aggression on the children; cheaper than counselling.
            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

"You worthless little ****! Your interpretation of Banquo's motivations in Macbeth is as poor as the Total Recall remake!"

Comment

Following their collaboration on 2018’s “Halloween” revival, Blumhouse Productions and filmmaker John Carpenter are re-teaming again – this time on a reboot of his iconic 1982 icy horror classic “The Thing”. The original feature follows an Antarctic research team contending with a parasitic alien life form that can imitate other people. The reboot is reportedly […]

Is Blumhouse planning to deviate away from the original plan and instead toward something more akin to The Thing 3?

John Carpenter has revealed that he is now working on the film alongside the studio

Comment

John Carpenter says a sequel is still being gestated and he may get involved

Comment

I had this dream a while back about writing a third Thing movie.

I was an Alien vs. The Thing cross-over, and called THALIEN. The basic premise had a US/China adversarial theme; it drew parallels between the Alien and The Thing, two biological weapons that had destroyed their creators millions of years ago and survived to cause the events in the movies. It also drew on modern themes of social media sockpuppet accounts as a layer of the way The Thing disguises itself. Led to an Alien/Thing hybrid, the titular THALIEN; the humans would try to kill it and fail, but ultimately the Thing and Alien creatures would kill it, with a message that those two forces had gone so far beyond any notion of kinship that the very though of a union between them was utterly intolerable, to the degree where they would eviscerate themselves just to make it no longer alive. The humans involved would see this and it would teach them something.

Half-baked idea. But it came back to me when I was listening to the Alien 3 Audible version.

EDIT: Forgot; there was a subplot similar to the MOTHER subplot of Alien - in that film, an executive order to the ship's computer made the humans expendable. The plot would extend that to not even be an executive order, but the actions of an algorithm that had made this decision on-the-fly - and it would stack that against the "automated" nature of the Thing/Alien creatures as this monolithic, inhuman thing. Who is the real monster, all that jazz.
                    Last edited by Asura; 22-02-2022, 21:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      I had this dream a while back about writing a third Thing movie.

I was an Alien vs. The Thing cross-over, and called THALIEN. The basic premise had a US/China adversarial theme; it drew parallels between the Alien and The Thing, two biological weapons that had destroyed their creators millions of years ago and survived to cause the events in the movies. It also drew on modern themes of social media sockpuppet accounts as a layer of the way The Thing disguises itself. Led to an Alien/Thing hybrid, the titular THALIEN; the humans would try to kill it and fail, but ultimately the Thing and Alien creatures would kill it, with a message that those two forces had gone so far beyond any notion of kinship that the very though of a union between them was utterly intolerable, to the degree where they would eviscerate themselves just to make it no longer alive. The humans involved would see this and it would teach them something.
                      10/10 Would watch.

Comment

Picturing a The Thing/Invasion of the Bodysnatchers mashup.

"So I'm there in my pod, trying to assimilate this person, only to find he'd already been taken over by Gary!"
                        "Guilty! I was trying so hard not to laugh and give it away the whole time them tendrils were poking around!"

Comment

2011's "The Thing" Director On Regrets, Sequel - Dark Horizons
                          If he coudl do it again the director of the prequel The Thing has said that he would make the film havce a greater focus on paranoia, less CG and better character development. He also revealed that had the film been a success a sequel would have been made that would have taken place at the same time as the events of the John Carpenter original with Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character being taken to an oil rig in the South Pole where the creature works its way through the crew.

Comment

Carpenter Disses "The Thing" Ending Theory - Dark Horizons
                            He has some choice words about one persons theory

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              If he coudl do it again the director of the prequel The Thing has said that he would make the film havce a greater focus on paranoia, less CG and better character development.
                              "With hindsight, I would've made the film good."

Comment

Working...
                              X