Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your favourite sources of gaming news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your favourite sources of gaming news?

Do you like Eurogamer? Polygon? Gamespot? Are you secretly an IGN or Gamefaqs reader, opening them in in private tabs so even your browser history doesn't know your secret shame?

Or are you perhaps ever so modern, and taking all of your games news via the Twitter smorgasbord?

Perhaps you've rejected reading entirely and insist on having your gaming news reinterpreted by YouTubers?

Maybe you just wait for Neon Ignition to find out for you and post it on here?

Let's share where we get our games news.

I'll start ⬇️

My main is Eurogamer. The reason for this is quite simple - first of all, it has some actually good writing, not something turned out by a £1 per hour copywriter on Fiverr for SEO purposes. Secondly, it's the website that, at the moment at least, most reminds me of the magazines we all used to read back in the day.

The best mags always had a good mix of personalities which you became familiar with as you read it, plus a jokey lighthearted style which didn't take itself too seriously. They also had good takes, not rubbish ones.

Eurogamer has these things. So, for that reason, I like Eurogamer. I especially like all those weird articles by Christian Donlan where he talks about when he went to an art gallery and it kind of reminded him of a level in Tomb Raider 2, or how someone should make a game about tea towels.

What about you guys?

I check in to Eurogamer occasionally - it's still quite good although it's gone chasing off a bit too much in the direction of 'listicle' type clickbait and ads (and 'that' EDF review). Probably not as bad as the likes of Kotaku, though, which used to be fun and quirky but is just a sewer of adverts now. Always enjoy the Jimquisition when I'm in the mood for a rant and the occasional 'firstplay' as he covers some less obvious stuff quite sensitively sometimes.
    Last edited by Golgo; 28-01-2020, 12:43.

Comment

Eurogamer are skunks, I'll never forget that time they wrote an article using my Acorn videos and gave me zero credit or reference. Total scum.

Comment

Eurogamer: "Do you want to keep blocking ads?"
        Me: "I remember the EDF 2025 review written "to make teenagers laugh", so yes, I will block your ads as a petty bit of vengeance!"

Comment

All the latest and hottest game news and rumors.

It's a gaming news community, so people post from all sorts of sites, not just the obvious ones, so you get a nice variety.

NOTE: If you click the link, it'll take you to another page that shows the link to the article and users' posts about the article, but I prefer to the little icon in the bottom-right, as it takes you straight to the source, avoiding the opinions of people on the internet.

(I am aware I am a person on the internet with an opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Eurogamer: "Do you want to keep blocking ads?"
            Me: "I remember the EDF 2025 review written "to make teenagers laugh", so yes, I will block your ads as a petty bit of vengeance!"
            I remember that too, wasn't it the frump who made it on to that tv channel with all the really unfunny comedy shows?

Comment

I don't really know.

I just think it's an absolute shame that Eurogamer decided to use that review because people trust their opinion, so who knows how many people skipped buying the game and having as much fun as we have because of it?

I know it's years later, but I try not to visit the site because of it.

I'm pretty petty though. I once went into an empty hairdressers way before they closed, but said they were closing so wouldn't give me a haircut, so never used them again.

We once found a stone in a meal at our fave curry house and they tried to say we put it there. Never been there since.

I think we need a petty grudge thread!

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                Eurogamer are skunks, I'll never forget that time they wrote an article using my Acorn videos and gave me zero credit or reference. Total scum.
                Yep, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Or are you perhaps ever so modern, and taking all of your games news via the Twitter smorgasbord?
                  I have never felt so trendy in my life! But yes, that's where I get the majority of my info from these days. Following a combination of publications who tend to lean towards news I'm more likely to be interested in (Gematsu, Siliconera etc), and lots of friends & industry folks who tend to talk about things that they come across does me pretty well. Naturally you're getting a condensed version or a headline at best, but it's pretty easy to take whatever crumbs you gather and then do some digging for whatever else you need to know. I do the same regarding other interests (e.g. I follow music journalists, record labels, bands I like, and so on, and this keeps me up to date) and as a result Twitter ends up becoming a pretty good digest of whatever I want to see.

edit: just adding a suggestion that a good twitter app (and not the actual site) makes all the difference. Keep folks' tweets in chronological order, take the algorithm out of the equation, and lose the ads.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    edit: just adding a suggestion that a good twitter app (and not the actual site) makes all the difference. Keep folks' tweets in chronological order, take the algorithm out of the equation, and lose the ads.
                    Got one you'd recommend?

Comment

TweetBot's my app of choice, but it's Apple-centric. I'm not sure what's what for Android platforms, I'm afraid.

Comment

Bordersdown

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                          Bordersdown
                          Obviously.

Comment

I don’t use any of them all are infested with sjw crap from people that know **** all about gaming. If I want info I just get it from the devs website.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                              Bordersdown
                              What's that then?

Comment

Working...
                              X