Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest increases were from the United States, Brazil, India and South Africa, according to a daily report. This blog is now closed

More than 70 workers at a farm in Herefordshire have tested positive

Michael Gove has said they won't be making face masks mandatory in shops and also that people should stop working from home in order to help lift the economy. So basically you must do what you can when working to save lives and protect others... unless that something restricts economic earnings.

And a leading virologist has said that droplets of Coronavirus in the air remain infectious for up to an hour

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      I think you’ve misunderstood my point. Or maybe I haven’t made it clear enough.

My contention is that, since the ‘liberalisation’ of the market, the service has suffered. You said this yourself? I’m not sure why you’ve gone full-on offensive since you started from an point of agreement. As you said, RM had legal obligations to focus on the service aspect, while private companies could cherry pick the best deals. To fund shortfalls, the cost of stamps increased by 37-50% in a handful of years, for example.

My further contention is that the privatisation of RM has resulted in a poorer service. This isn’t about some kind of Hovis-advert anecdotal whimsies. It’s based on the experience that deliveries are slower. Collections are certainly less frequent. But until someone produces some studies on delivery times, then the evidence of customer experience is all you’ve got to rely on I’m afraid. My claims are equally as valid as others, until then. Mine are based on first class post being slower than it was just a few years ago.

Re, improvements. I readily agree that the private sector can teach the public sector things about efficiency and productivity in some areas. As long as service isn’t compromised, it’s a good thing.
      I think there were only two points First Class isn't guaranteed and never has been though your post intimated it was at least to me, though you didn't make clear and then backtracked to a degree..

The other being quality of service, and I haven't gone on the attack I simply asked for evidence which you have failed to give, you said the service has basically got worse and I countered with the fact that published results are 90% and have been for the past thirty or forty years - it's certainly not the case they are only getting 1% delivered next day.
      You also said it your point wasn't anecdotal but actually it is! Look at the bold type above. My experience differs. So whilst your experience is worse, mine is the same or better but I haven't made a claim that Royal Mail are better than ever, however the net result is the company's overall service results are broadly the same.

Just a point about the stamp increase, no issue with the percent increase but 'to fund shortfalls'? Again anything to back this claim up - reason for asking is that I thought that any stamp increase had to approved by the regulator and the only shortfall I can find online is to fill the pension deficit, nothing to do with QoS.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...mask-in-public
        More than 70 workers at a farm in Herefordshire have tested positive

Michael Gove has said they won't be making face masks mandatory in shops and also that people should stop working from home in order to help lift the economy. So basically you must do what you can when working to save lives and protect others... unless that something restricts economic earnings.

And a leading virologist has said that droplets of Coronavirus in the air remain infectious for up to an hour
        My firm are like **** what the government says. Keep working from home. It’s working fine for us to be fair. I realise not same for all.

Comment

You’ve completely missed the points there.

I said that it wasn’t based on overly-emotional rose-tinted memories. I’m detailing actual experiences about the speed of delivery. There’s a difference between anecdotal when I was a lad stuff, and actual experience. Not every experience is an illusion rendered irrelevant by subjectivity.

You’ve used guesswork, re, what I implied, rather than what I said concerning first class. Your attempt to claim that I backtracked from something I didn’t say is in poor taste.

Where’s this 1% thing come from? Something else you’ve made up.
          I’m intrigued to know what the 90% refers to. Tangibly.

The shortfalls comment is referring to things I remember in the press at the time. It’ll take a while to find them. If profitable business is cherry picked by other companies, then it is a loss of income that needs to be rectified by other means.

Comment

Yeah, we’ve jacked our office in and are WFH for the foreseeable. If your work is digital and can be done from home it seems silly to do otherwise.

Comment

Yep. It’s only if I’m working at higher security levels that I’d need to get to an appropriate secure area but otherwise my office is fine! Love it!

Comment

Those with existing immunity look set to lose it in the coming months as the UK resets to square one

Another day another charge

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...study-suggests

Those with existing immunity look set to lose it in the coming months as the UK resets to square one

Another day another charge
                  We all know that will lead to nothing. Cumbag is untouchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    We all know that will lead to nothing. Cumbag is untouchable.
                    Truly the most corrupt government in UK history. We haven't seen the likes of them since the 1940s.

If only we had an election soon as the Americans do, then we could kick these psychopaths out.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                      You’ve completely missed the points there.

I said that it wasn’t based on overly-emotional rose-tinted memories. I’m detailing actual experiences about the speed of delivery. There’s a difference between anecdotal when I was a lad stuff, and actual experience. Not every experience is an illusion rendered irrelevant by subjectivity.

You’ve used guesswork, re, what I implied, rather than what I said concerning first class. Your attempt to claim that I backtracked from something I didn’t say is in poor taste.

Where’s this 1% thing come from? Something else you’ve made up.
                      I’m intrigued to know what the 90% refers to. Tangibly.

The shortfalls comment is referring to things I remember in the press at the time. It’ll take a while to find them. If profitable business is cherry picked by other companies, then it is a loss of income that needs to be rectified by other means.
                      OK, this is what you wrote;
                      "Royal Mail used to provide next day delivery. It was called first class post. Until it was meddled with under the ideological con trick of ‘competition"

Taking that point, "Royal Mail used to provide next day delivery", I argued it wasn't a guaranteed service then to cover your tracks you remarked 'First class wasn’t next day guaranteed, but was so good, it was often treated as such"

So if the above isn't a backtrack why the first comment then, or why not a follow up to clarify, it would have been better to say in the first place 'in my opinion certainly where I live the quality has regressed, I'm waiting longer for items to arrive...', you wouldn't get any issue from me but instead you wrote a sweeping generalisation which could be misunderstood. As I said RM DO provide a next day - Special Delivery etc.

You then went on to say;
                      "It was simply a better service back then. Cheaper and more efficient"

Here we are again, another sweeping generalisation, it may be poor in your area but not in everyone's and we don't need a nationwide poll to see if everyone agrees with you - or me. That's were I asked for the evidence, not out of anything personal but as I noted I was and am genuinely interested. I've mentioned the 90% a couple of times;
                      No 1736: Anyway evidence please, as I said I'm pretty sure their quality of service results is consistent at 90% ish
                      No 1724: I countered with the fact that published results are 90%

I'm fairly certain from what I read at the time their results have always been in the 90%, go and ask your mate Mr Google at this years numbers and last years etc and you get Royal Mail's overall quality of service at 90% or better every year, but the problem I have is I cannot go back more than a few years. Here's me thinking and hoping you had the numbers going back to the eighties to prove they had slid back since then but no.
                      As for the 1% go and read my post again, the 1% is obviously an exaggeration to demonstrate a point, nothing more.

Anyway we're just going round in circles, all I asked for was some actual evidence to support a tracked overall decline in performance and it turns out you are just quoting personal experience - again if you were clear in the outset...

If you bought a Toyota and it turned out to be a lemon that doesn't mean all Toyota vehicles are crap, it's just unfortunate you got a bad one that's all.

As for the shortfalls, fair enough, that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Yeah, we’ve jacked our office in and are WFH for the foreseeable. If your work is digital and can be done from home it seems silly to do otherwise.
                        Totally agree. If you're able to do everything at home, why commute? Save your time, money, and it's better for the environment. Going back to the way things were before when it's not necessary seems an utterly ridiculous backwards step. Guess the government are worried about the profits of coffee and sandwich shops near office blocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                          OK, this is what you wrote;
                          "Royal Mail used to provide next day delivery. It was called first class post. Until it was meddled with under the ideological con trick of ‘competition"

Taking that point, "Royal Mail used to provide next day delivery", I argued it wasn't a guaranteed service then to cover your tracks you remarked 'First class wasn’t next day guaranteed, but was so good, it was often treated as such"

So if the above isn't a backtrack why the first comment then, or why not a follow up to clarify, it would have been better to say in the first place 'in my opinion certainly where I live the quality has regressed, I'm waiting longer for items to arrive...', you wouldn't get any issue from me but instead you wrote a sweeping generalisation which could be misunderstood. As I said RM DO provide a next day - Special Delivery etc.

You then went on to say;
                          "It was simply a better service back then. Cheaper and more efficient"

Here we are again, another sweeping generalisation, it may be poor in your area but not in everyone's and we don't need a nationwide poll to see if everyone agrees with you - or me. That's were I asked for the evidence, not out of anything personal but as I noted I was and am genuinely interested. I've mentioned the 90% a couple of times;
                          No 1736: Anyway evidence please, as I said I'm pretty sure their quality of service results is consistent at 90% ish
                          No 1724: I countered with the fact that published results are 90%

I'm fairly certain from what I read at the time their results have always been in the 90%, go and ask your mate Mr Google at this years numbers and last years etc and you get Royal Mail's overall quality of service at 90% or better every year, but the problem I have is I cannot go back more than a few years. Here's me thinking and hoping you had the numbers going back to the eighties to prove they had slid back since then but no.
                          As for the 1% go and read my post again, the 1% is obviously an exaggeration to demonstrate a point, nothing more.

Anyway we're just going round in circles, all I asked for was some actual evidence to support a tracked overall decline in performance and it turns out you are just quoting personal experience - again if you were clear in the outset...

If you bought a Toyota and it turned out to be a lemon that doesn't mean all Toyota vehicles are crap, it's just unfortunate you got a bad one that's all.

As for the shortfalls, fair enough, that's fine.
                          You chastise me for an exaggeration, then make one yourself. I stated that First Class post was next day delivery because in the vast majority of cases, it was. And it was treated as such, which is why the ‘myth’ had to be busted at one point. It was actually within 15 days, but the service was so good, that letters often arrived the next day. My exaggeration was indeed a generalisation to force home the point that expectations of the service were a different ball game in the past.

The service was cheaper then, adjusted for inflation. I recall seeing this detailed in an issue of Stamp magazine a while ago, but it will take a long time to find the precise article I’m afraid. The efficient thing, I clarified as time-based.

The 90% QoS thing, I still don’t know what the parameters are. It’s just a number without context, and without historical comparisons it doesn’t mean a great deal.

The problem with the quality of service concept is that you ask for hard data, but there isn’t any. And if there was, what else could it be based on, except customer experiences? How would the information have been collated, especially historically? They didn’t have electronic methods for tracking the speed of delivery.

All I know for sure, is that in the past, there were two deliveries a day and Sunday deliveries. Stamps were cheaper. Post offices were more plentiful (yes I’m aware that that’s a different business, but it’s all entwined within the same service sector). Collections were more frequent and later. Items got delivered quicker.

Call it anecdotal. Call it sweeping generalisation. But in the absence of records pre-2000, that’s all anyone can do. And an
                          absence of statistical data does not invalidate experiences. I would say that the liberalisation of the sector has reduced its quality.

Comment

This conversation will be boring everyone else senseless. That’s a generalisation, though. I’ve got no hard data.

Comment

I have anecdotal evidence right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum View Post
                                Guess the government are worried about the profits of coffee and sandwich shops near office blocks!
                                Boris said as much. Oh no! Pret are struggling! The £4 coffee business is down! Office space companies must also be panicking as firms restructure. Bet a lot of that is tory supporter owned. What a joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X