This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    On that, I totally agree. On lockdown, people can’t be abandoned to fend for themselves. This is about a government’s responsibility to care for its people and, in many cases (not limited to the UK - and I don’t mean that to try to excuse the UK, only to acknowledge that I’m also living somewhere where I think support wasn’t good enough), that’s just not happening.
    The thing is normally, some of the weakest in society are and have been left to fend for themselves. Many homeless people obviously have serious undiagnosed or untreated conditions. I try not to think about these topics too much because it makes me sad and angry.

Comment

During this time of crisis it's always reassuring to know that we can rely upon the mindful judgment of the government that protects our citizens and society...

Especially when they refuse to speak to the countries Medical Leaders about preparing for the arrival of a Second Wave with a review ahead of the winter season.

I'm telling you, much of the winter tally is going to effectively be cases of manslaughter by our own government.

Comment

No such thing as premeditated manslaughter. If it’s premeditated then it’s murder.

Comment

It was knocking 33 degrees in the UK in parts today. To cheer everyone up here's some lovely shots of the British public enjoying the sunny weather today...

Social Distancing in Margate

Social Distancing in Bournemouth

Social Distancing in Brighton

Social Distancing in Southend

Sigh... you can lead a horse to water...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

I'm not calling you a liar, but are you sure that's really yesterday? Where did you get the picture?

I ask for two reasons; firstly because one of the papers ran a story on this a few months ago and used a picture from 2018 (locals could tell, because there were cranes in the background of the shot which are long-gone).

Secondly, because I passed by this very location early afternoon yesterday as I had to run out to the bank, and while it was busy, it wasn't like this. There were many people, but fewer than the usual Brighton warm day, and they were kinda clumped up with a reasonable distance in-between. If this is a genuine photo, it's heavily foreshortened to make it look much worse than it was. Of course, I was only there a couple of minutes so maybe it was much worse an hour before or after.

I'm not suggesting it's okay; people are ignoring any form of social distancing at this point. Just as I passed by, I was actually thinking about how it's not as busy as usual and at least some people appear to have abstained.

Comment

Admittedly it was The Sun which is a site I'm loathed to use so it wouldn't surprise me if it was from 2012 or something

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                It was knocking 33 degrees in the UK in parts today. To cheer everyone up here's some lovely shots of the British public enjoying the sunny weather today...

Social Distancing in Margate

Social Distancing in Bournemouth

Social Distancing in Brighton

Social Distancing in Southend

Sigh... you can lead a horse to water...

You did a lot of travelling in one day

Comment

Even though those beach crowds look insane, I would take a step back - for one they might be old photos as mentioned, but these photos have been taken with forced perspective on a zoom lens which makes people look a lot closer than they actually are.

Here's a few examples of similar trickery: https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2020-...g-men-viser-to

Even in a scenario where official "social distancing" wasn't going to apply people tend to keep their distance from each other when setting up on a beach. I've been on loads of beaches where it's been busy, but I can't think of a time where people would naturally be setting their towels up within 2m of a stranger. You'd just keep going until you found a bit of beach that was more empty - I can see from the overhead maps that Bournemouth has about 30 miles of beach to play with.

Will all of those people be taking the social distancing seriously? Probably not, but I think those photos will be giving an extremely exaggerated view.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I'm not calling you a liar, but are you sure that's really yesterday?
                    Yeah, always worth checking images like this because they were often sourced on social media and are often way older than claimed. That said, a google image search is usually an easy way to check for earlier instances of photos appearing online and I checked most of these and they all seem to have originated within the last 24 hours.

As for them looking worse than they are, I'd say they're exactly as bad as they look. Those people are not smart.

Comment

Agreed on questioning pics, especially if you want them to back you up, as you tend to not question them, like that busy House of Commons one that wasn't real.

You can look at some webcams where the beaches are definitely busy, but not heaving.

Bournemouth
                      https://magicseaweed.com/Live-Bournemouth-Webcam/16/

Folkestone:
                      This moving webcam shows you a live 360-degree view around Folkestone Harbour, in Kent, South East England. The HD live streaming displays a magnificent panorama and close-ups around the lively seafront of Folkestone! It displays the seaside houses and establishments, the d...

Deal:
                      Check out this postcard-perfect spot with our webcam in Deal, Kent County! Enjoy this spectacular waterfront and pier view of this picturesque UK town.

Brighton:
                      Watch our Brighton webcam overlooking the Brighton Pier! Follow the city's major events and explore our free HD cams in the UK.

Comment

I clicked the Bournemouth one but suddenly felt weirdly voyeuristic

Comment

The Bournemouth one is getting much busier.

Is this the reason I won't get any work done today?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Agreed on questioning pics, especially if you want them to back you up, as you tend to not question them, like that busy House of Commons one that wasn't real.

You can look at some webcams where the beaches are definitely busy, but not heaving.

Bournemouth
                            https://magicseaweed.com/Live-Bournemouth-Webcam/16/

Folkestone:
                            This moving webcam shows you a live 360-degree view around Folkestone Harbour, in Kent, South East England. The HD live streaming displays a magnificent panorama and close-ups around the lively seafront of Folkestone! It displays the seaside houses and establishments, the d...

Deal:
                            Check out this postcard-perfect spot with our webcam in Deal, Kent County! Enjoy this spectacular waterfront and pier view of this picturesque UK town.

Brighton:
                            Watch our Brighton webcam overlooking the Brighton Pier! Follow the city's major events and explore our free HD cams in the UK.

https://balticlivecam.com/cameras/un...righton-beach/
                            Bournemouth is the winner absolutely rammed at the moment

Comment

People are literally ****ting in Burger boxes.

Comment

Today's updates from the post-Covid world:

World Cup worker dies from Covid-19; Europe sees increase in weekly cases for first time in months; cases worldwide growing by 1m per week

Worldwide cases have risen 1m in a week to hit a new total of 9.4m

America enjoys its second highest ever day for new cases

The EU is experiencing a surge of new cases coinciding with lockdown easing

Cases in Israel have exploded in number

Hospitals are running out of oxygen concentrators used to help COVID cases breathe

Trump has pulled federal support for state virus testing

Away from Coronavirus and the lucky escape for Labour voters is confirmed as:

Shadow education secretary told to step down from shadow cabinet after sharing article on Twitter that included antisemitic conspiracy theory

Kier Starmer has fired Rebecca Long-Bailey from the Shadow Cabinet after she shared a story on Twitter about an antisemetic conspiracy theory

Comment

Working...
                                X