Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson has indicated at PMQ's that he hasn't even bothered to read the report on the risks involved with the Second Wave

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
      It is the enforced imposition of something of recognised dubious health value by a government keen to be seeing as doing something, anything in the face of a situation they actually have no power over. They hate that so they flex there muscles in a vain attempt to appear competent.

Even those who are laid back about this matter have to agree it is a complete dog's breakfast and like most knee jerk reaction legislation it will have to be completely rethought at some point.
      Just wear your mask, mate.

Comment

I have basic cotton masks but I’ve sewn in the fabric from a Henry hepatic vacuum cleaner bag for extra protection from utter bellends that won’t wear them.

Comment

Our fabric ones are still waiting to be collected as UPS is a disaster in some parts of Canada apparently.
          We picked some free disposable ones up from a drive-thru yesterday so we're good for a few weeks still.
          Just in time for there to be a confirmed case in our apartment building. FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...navirus-report
            Johnson has indicated at PMQ's that he hasn't even bothered to read the report on the risks involved with the Second Wave
            Of course he hasn't. He's too busy funneling taxes into businesses he and his friends own.

Comment

Tweak the rules as you break them:

Still proving every day that they are a bunch of charlatans.

Comment

The cost of the masks could be a reasonable complaint (especially since the paper ones are technically disposable and not meant to be constantly re-used), but they've already said you can just use a scarf, bandana, tea towel, bit of old t-shirt or whatever. I don't really mind wearing a mask, I hope we go to a system like in SE Asia where it's considered socially rude to not wear a mask if you've got a cold. Sick of getting colds off selfish idiots in my office (that I don't currently have to work at).

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  We ordered these in June. Still waiting for them to ship.
                  https://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/...p-page-content
                  Those burgundy ones look wicked!

Meanwhile in Japan, I managed to order a pack of Uniqlo's Airism masks. Like most of these fabric masks, they don't claim protection from viruses but my commute to work is never action-packed and there's barely a soul outside on the walk to the office.

I also have a very cute Anpanman mask that a lady in our factory made.

We have paper masks coming out of our ears at home but it's 30'C these days so I'm risking the fabric ones.

Comment

Shamima Begum wins right to return to UK to challenge citizenship decision

Judges face challenge over ‘access to fair trial’ for 20-year-old after Javid decision to revoke her British citizenship

Facebook's going to be fun today. It's the right call though, she's our problem at the end of the day. Imagine the ****storm if another country tried to dump one of their citizens on us.

Comment

"UK says Russia sought to interfere in 2019 election by leaking documents online
                      British foreign secretary says Russia illicitly acquired sensitive documents and posted them on social media

Britain has said that Russia sought to interfere in the 2019 general election by illicitly acquiring sensitive documents relating to a planned free-trade agreement with the US and leaking them on social media.

“It is almost certain that Russian actors sought to interfere in the 2019 general election through the online amplification of illicitly acquired and leaked government documents,” said the foreign secretary, Dominic Raab.

“Sensitive government documents relating to the UK-US free-trade agreement were illicitly acquired before the 2019 general election and disseminated online via the social media platform Reddit,” Raab said.

“The government reserves the right to respond with appropriate measures in the future,” he added."

So, this is all interesting stuff, but don't forget to apply Perspective Management.
                      The Government have been sitting on the Russia Report for months. Months.

Why is this coming to light now?

Is it because the Government didn't manage to get Chris "failing" Grayling in charge of their intelligence and security committee? It was pretty much laughed at that someone so inept would be in charge and most were suspicious he'd deny any Russian involvement.

(It's also worth noting that the successful candidate, Julian Lewis, had his Tory Whip removed “because he worked with Labour and other opposition MPs to his own advantage”)

So, here we have Raab finally admitting there was interference, but he's framing it in the light that Russia "tried" to interfere. Is it damage limitation?
                      Last edited by QualityChimp; 16-07-2020, 12:40.

Comment

Gotta limit any questioning over the result when it was so favourable to themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Gotta limit any questioning over the result when it was so favourable to themselves
                          The leaking of the US-UK trade agreement definitely wasn't favourable to the Tories. The size of the Tory victory was largely lead by Brexit - polling was showing that for weeks and weeks.

I haven't read the report yet, so I'll be interested to see the finer detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            The cost of the masks could be a reasonable complaint (especially since the paper ones are technically disposable and not meant to be constantly re-used), but they've already said you can just use a scarf, bandana, tea towel, bit of old t-shirt or whatever. I don't really mind wearing a mask, I hope we go to a system like in SE Asia where it's considered socially rude to not wear a mask if you've got a cold. Sick of getting colds off selfish idiots in my office (that I don't currently have to work at).
                            Have you actually tried wearing a scarf or cloth alternative as a mask in hot weather or if you have any sort of breathing problem? Even with purpose designed masks it ain't fun. I had a relative for whom mask wearing of any sort would have been pretty much the same as asking them to suffocate themselves.

I've been to this place before and I'd suspect few if any here have actually had any direct experience under such circumstances as we're now all going through. I have, at least on a personal level.

If you think a few weeks or even a few months worrying about the responsibility of being the transmission conduit for a potentially deadly infection to a vulnerable person is something new to me, it is not.

BTW I agree with most of the last part of ^ Hirst comments. If someone has a cold and they're coughing and sputtering then a mask, particularly, in enclosed spaces, like public transport should be the social norm here too. I caught the worst infection I've had as an adult from some git who got on the tube train, sat down next to me and start coughing, sneezing and wiping his nose with his hand for about a dozen stops.

Disgusting; he probably infected the whole carriage. But if you're in that state you shouldn't be on public transport and mixing with other people anyway. Same at work or elsewhere but you still get wallies who think the show must go on no matter what and do not think about the others they infecting.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 16-07-2020, 15:52.

Comment

Canadian-made mask coating deactivates 99% of Covid 19 virus

Comment

I can't speak for people who have breathing problems, but I've been in Bangkok during two smog outbreaks where most people were wearing masks outdoors in temperatures of about 30-33°C. Most folks (me included) had the paper flu masks, cool types and student sorts tended to have those ninja-style ones, a few had the fancy 3M brand with the plastic bit on the side. I didn't have any problems myself and can't say I really noticed anyone else did, you forgot it was there after a bit.

Not to cause an argument as it's just my personal experience and I'm sure some folks do have breathing problems or whatever associated with masks, but I think it's probably an issue that can be resolved with compromises as I think otherwise it will just be used as a get-out clause for the large amount of people who just don't want to wear them at the expense of the few who really can't. But I'm not the government, I don't set the rules.

Comment

Working...
                                X