Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Government plans to wind down Furlough support from July stating that there will be no redundancy cliff edge.

There will be. By God, there will be...

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      The Government plans to wind down Furlough support from July stating that there will be no redundancy cliff edge.

There will be. By God, there will be...
      Where does it say that? I see it says that the furlough scheme will be tapered down as businesses wind back up their operations, but I don't see any wild claims from the government that there won't be redundencies.
      Last edited by MartyG; 06-05-2020, 09:43.

Comment

Here in Ireland, we’re now in phase 1 of a reopening plan and it just seems nuts to me. Now it’s very much baby steps so there isn’t much risk right now but, as far as I can tell, it has been deemed that we now have an acceptable level of new daily cases and deaths. The numbers don’t look great to me given the small size of our country and given what some other countries have managed so it doesn’t feel to me like any easing has been earned yet. It basically says - we’re fine with this many of you dying a day.

All that said, it is baby steps and they have said they will only move ahead to next steps if the figures can justify it so maybe I’m overreacting but I won’t be putting my family out there any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          Where does it say that? I see it says that the furlough scheme will be tapered down as businesses wind back up their operations, but I don't see any wild claims from the government that there won't be redundencies.
          Furlough support for businesses will be going down to 60% that they can claim back, im sure the news is widespread now.

Comment

Again, where does it say that's happening? The article says that the government is looking at how it will be winding back the furlough scheme - there's nothing in there that says the details of how this will be done has been finalised, with percentanges and time frames.

I'm all for holding the government to account, but stating the government is causing a cliff edge on redundancies while saying the government is claiming it's not, is mystical speculation at this point without knowing the actual details of how it's going to be done.
            Last edited by MartyG; 06-05-2020, 09:53.

Comment

Can't say I blame this boffin for breaking lockdown to bang his hot 'mistress': https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...igns-breaking/

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                Again, where does it say that's happening? The article says that the government is looking at how it will be winding back the furlough scheme - there's nothing in there that says the details of how this will be done has been finalised, with percentanges and time frames.

I'm all for holding the government to account, but stating the government is causing a cliff edge on redundancies while saying the government is claiming it's not, is mystical speculation at this point without knowing the actual details of how it's going to be done.
                Quick google brought this up. My accountant said this is coming though from what he’s heard from up the food chain.

Comment

Again, where does it say that's definitely happening? It's the same story; nothing is finalised and until it is, everything is speculation at this point.

the government is reportedly considering cutting the 80 per cent wage subsidy to 60
                  Rishi Sunak is looking to “wind down” the scheme gradually over the next few months. One option is to reduce the current subsidy to 60 per cent, with further small reductions to follow
                  We can't expect the furlough scheme to go on indefinintely and what's in place currently is well beyond what's ever been implemented by a sitting government - the borrowing for this is enormous.

There will have to be a tapering off at some point, but I suspect that will be balanced against how well businesses are able to get back up and running, and the tapering may well be sector based - but what I'd never expect to happen is for the government to guarantee there won't be redundancies.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 06-05-2020, 11:11.

Comment

I never said it would be instant, just that's it’s coming.

Comment

Just realised that with royal mail not delivering on Saturdays... Yeah that's never coming back.

Comment

Do the tests know if you have had it in the past or just if you have it at the time?

Comment

The cliff edge response must have been on the live feed or other link. It was def the Guardian as it related to tapering off furlough money which would be how they avoid it. The cliff edge isn't the governments fault though, what they've provided is a temporary stay of execution. Vast scale mass redundancies are coming though and that cliff edge will hit fast and hard over the summer. No way around it now.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            Do the tests know if you have had it in the past or just if you have it at the time?
                            There are two different tests; antibody tests that determine if you've had the virus in the past and PCR testing which determines if you currently have the virus.

The vast majority of testing is PCR; antibody testing has proved to be largely inaccurate so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Just realised that with royal mail not delivering on Saturdays... Yeah that's never coming back.
                              Apparently it's back on June 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
                                Apparently it's back on June 13.
                                https://www.royalmail.com/d8/saturday-services
                                We are still delivering parcels, tracked and all signed for items on a Saturday, just not doing the letters and dominos leaflets.

Comment

Working...
                                X