Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the current estimate is that around 5% of the UK population have been exposed to it. Only another 95% to go.

Comment

The utter disaster going on in America across both densely populated and spaced ones shows more than enough the dangers of not imposing restrictions and how there's absolutely no way that the virus has come close to the vast majority of the population yet, and that's due to one reason only - the lockdown.

It's so out of control that most of the key governments such as China, America, the UK still lie about the death toll figures. They're constantly ignoring the scientific advice and every single move comes down to two things -

1-Put the economy before the people
      2-Distract the public from blaming the Government

The official government figures state 284,000 people have had confirmed cases of the virus in the UK, of which 44,000 are recorded as COVID deaths (a known to be wrong figure). That means a whopping 15% of infected cases are dead from it.

The UK population is around 67m, so by the Governments own methodology we can be safe and assured that the virus has widely done the rounds when the death count has passed 10 million UK bodies.

What the UK is basically going through this summer is the deadliest case of wishful thinking in its history. Blatant dismissal of an entire globes worth of evidence showcasing precisely what happens when a deadly pandemic - that with heavier restrictions than are in place now has already cut its way through half a million dead in a few months - is deemed a mere inconvenience that pushing aside to get a trim and a pint will see it just go away. It's not being a downer, it's being completely frustrated that once again our Government and much of the public are proving how utterly useless they are. Arguably the biggest killer at this point isn't the virus, it's the lack of natural selection for the human race that has allowed generations of incompetence to breed.

The Tories can do what they want, like Trump, there is no way of wriggling out of responsibility for the sheer awfulness that is going to hit later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
        Thought about cutting the shop itself loose and just keeping the brand going as a delivery service? Wont be long until the gov pulls all support for shops, then your stuck with dead weight you can’t realistically open safely.
        Not at all, no. I'm lucky to be in a position where I don't need support from the government as the entire business was self financed and runs 100% debt free. I don't do credit with suppliers, I pay on the day then I always know where I'm at financially. Even if I changed the way we operated after this all calms down, I'd still need premises.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          I think the current estimate is that around 5% of the UK population have been exposed to it. Only another 95% to go.
          That's based on a sample of only 885 people with a test whose reliability has been questioned. There also studies indicating there are forms of immunity present in those who've recovered from it without a detectable presence of anitbodies.
          A Swedish study found twice as many people had protective T-cells as tested positive for antibodies.

Critically though they don't yet know if there is any lasting immunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Sounds like you’re basically saying that it’s great that it was allowed to run rampant because the dead people can’t now get it. That much is true. The rest sounds like uninformed nonsense. This is not the first pandemic. There is a huge amount of data and strategising based on what experts have learned from them. And the UK and New Zealand are not the only countries. The entire world is being used as examples, looking at the strategies and outcomes from each individual country. And honestly, from someone outside the UK, lets be very clear that what’s happening there is not a great look. There is no upside to how it has been handled in the UK.
            That's not what I was saying. The 'strategy' or lack of might have unforeseen beneficial consequences in the concentrated areas of population as lockdown eases that's all I meant.

Its still been a royal cock up from start to wherever we are now.

Nobody knows how many people have been exposed in the UK, how many have had it with minor symptoms and likely but not definitely now immune or are naturally immune. Without vastly more reliable testing than has been done its all speculation not science.

However we're going to find out in a few weeks time if the experts' disease transmission models are correct. With all the ignoring of the distancing regulations that have been documented over the last two weeks and the official lockdown easement the Covid 19 reported cases and related death spike should already be rising.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
              Nobody knows how many people have been exposed in the UK, how many have had it with minor symptoms and likely but not definitely now immune or are naturally immune. Without vastly more reliable testing than has been done its all speculation not science.
              Not definitively, no, but we do know from sampling (which whilst not 100% is still reliable enough to give us a good idea) that it's around 5-7% and this is also reflected in other countries where there's been greater antibody testing showing it's nowhere close to the levels required for herd immnuity - the US is starting to get there since it relaxed lockdown and infections massively, massively spiked but this comes at the cost of more dead bodies.

This isn't speculation, it's data based modelling. Absolutely not the same thing.

And given, entirely predictably, that drunk people can't social distance, easing lockdown due to placing economy before health (which is what the goverment is doing), it is inevitably going to lead to upticks in infections, because when viruses have a greater pool of people available to infect, more people get infected - this doesn't require a degree in medicine to understand.
              Last edited by MartyG; 05-07-2020, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                And given, entirely predictably, that drunk people can't social distance, easing lockdown due to placing economy before health (which is what the goverment is doing), it is inevitably going to lead to upticks in infections, because when viruses have a greater pool of people available to infect, more people get infected - this doesn't require a degree in medicine to understand.
                Yeah, that was an entirely predictable mess. Meanwhile we're enjoying a quiet weekend here in Leicester, very orderly, no trouble. Quite delightful. I would say people should come here for a bit of peace but we unfortunately don't allow just any drunken riffraff in.

Comment

Crowds and crowds of wankbags milling around in the streets drinking overpriced warm piss.

Comment

As Trump declares victory over the rampaging virus and Johnson promotes going out to UK shops in a post-COVID age - The World Health Organisation has announced that yesterday saw over 200,000 new cases globally which is a new record

And Sunak is pondering about giving the UK people a one off payment to bolster the economy... but naturally the UK folks can't be given cash they have to have vouchers instead. £500 per adult and £250 per child is being thrown around for consideration and you would only be able to use the vouchers if you abandon online shopping and put yourself at risk in person instead. If it happens though don't do what they want and use it at restaurants etc, use it to store up things you need for the Second Wave because when it hits they would revoke the vouchers.

Comment

When the second wave hits I don't believe for a second we will go back in to lockdown. The government will just bury its head and plough on.

Comment

Bury it's head... and it's dead.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                          Crowds and crowds of wankbags milling around in the streets drinking overpriced warm piss.
                          Infections for everyone!

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ovid-hit-firms
                            And Sunak is pondering about giving the UK people a one off payment to bolster the economy... but naturally the UK folks can't be given cash they have to have vouchers instead. £500 per adult and £250 per child is being thrown around for consideration and you would only be able to use the vouchers if you abandon online shopping and put yourself at risk in person instead. If it happens though don't do what they want and use it at restaurants etc, use it to store up things you need for the Second Wave because when it hits they would revoke the vouchers.
                            I'm up for £500 of vouchers to be used locally ie. within 5 miles of home. Suit me sir as that would pay my food bills for six months.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 06-07-2020, 14:38. Reason: Edited for clarity

Comment

Why did you post that? Is that a plan?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                                Why did you post that? Is that a plan?
                                5 posts up

Comment

Working...
                                X