This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    "Never" is a bit strong. I think many of the existing ones will suffer/close but I'm sure we'll have restaurants and cinemas at the end of this.
    A few of my friends seem convinced that this is the new normal. No cinema, no gigs or music festivals anything with mass participation is gone as far as they are concerned.
    The way people look at you when out for a walk practically leaping aside to maintain distance as if you’re some kind of cloud of covid just waiting to pounce.
    The adjustment period post lockdown is going to be longer than many of us would like.

Comment

It will definitely be weird. It was weird for me being in a crowded place after a 4 day hike in the mountains!

Comment

If it means having more arm and leg room at cinemas, theatres etc by removing every other seat, I'm all for it

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          If it means having more arm and leg room at cinemas, theatres etc by removing every other seat, I'm all for it
          Might have to pay twice as much.

In fact, part of me would love to see the cinema chains go bust; sympathies to the staff of course, but they're a ridiculous business. It's pretty expensive these days, and the way the popcorn is a daft price because the movie studios have them by the balls... That's a whole industry that could do with being brought down and rebuilt.

Comment

What if ticket prices are doubled?

What is happening with all the films that were meant to be released anyway? Only some have been put on streaming services. Surely they aren't ALL being released later?

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              What if ticket prices are doubled?
              You can only increase the price by what the market would bear and I seriously doubt people would want to be paying £20+ per person to see a movie. I certainly wouldn't.

Comment

I already stopped going to the cinema because of the price.

Comment

We were down to £5 a film round our ways at the cinemas, not sure that will last after the initial reopening. Only the low expectation guff is going to get streamed though, anything with a chance of making real money will get delayed even if it means getting kicked all the way back to 2022. Streaming as an alternative is still a very long way from viable.

Comment

Yep. The reality is that the big hits still make massive amounts in the cinema. More than is worth giving up for VOD and more than enough to get cinema back again once this is over. The largest of the studios are worth enough to ride this out and, if the cinema chains go down, I'd speculate that the studios will see it as an opportunity to take more control over a new cinema market rather than give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      We were down to £5 a film round our ways at the cinemas, not sure that will last after the initial reopening. Only the low expectation guff is going to get streamed though, anything with a chance of making real money will get delayed even if it means getting kicked all the way back to 2022. Streaming as an alternative is still a very long way from viable.
                      Same we have 2 cinemas nearby that do £5 all day every day for movies & a Cineworld that still charges £15.00 + depneding on if you want a fancy seat or Imax
                      Guess where it's harder to see a film
                      Only reason I ever went to cineworld was on a Sunday when they did movies for juniors & then it was £2.75 a ticket
                      Long stopped caring about cinemas.
                      Last 3 movies I saw at the cinema without chloe for a kids film were the star war sequels & then I only did it because I felt I need to see them in Imax 3D first otherwise I wouldn't have bothered there.

Losing cinemas will be significant but I wouldn't really miss it.
                      Same with gigs...last one I went to was Metallica in 2007 & before that...Metallica in 1993 couldn't give a toss
                      Comedy on the other hand now that I'd be gutted if we lost stand up comedy
                      Love a trip to a comedy gig

It will be a very different world when all this blows over

Neil

Comment

Small cinemas for the win. **** these huge chains with their poor staff, badly setup screens and expensive stale popcorn. Let them die.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Small cinemas for the win. **** these huge chains with their poor staff, badly setup screens and expensive stale popcorn. Let them die.
                          Exactly right. The GFT in Glasgow is a wee independent cinema but has far better facilities than my local Cineworld or Vue. And the screen is way better than Cineworld.
                          Mind you no cinema I have visited comes close to the performance of an OLED TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            The good news is that Creative Europe has some good EU support for independent cinemas... oh wait.

Comment

That's why we voted Brexit Dogg. None of these arty farty independent cinemas for us, we only want Vues on retail parks showing nonstop superheroes with an adjoining Frankie and Benny's. The proper British way.

Comment

I’d pay £15 rental to watch a new release at home. As mentioned, the picture on my tv is better than a cinema anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X