The environment solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The environment solutions

Economic growth needs population growth to sustain itself.

But the environment needs population shrinkage to sustain humanity.

Will we have to start a cull? Or is that what Corona Virus is for.

The corona virus is just to give the news something to talk about more people die of the flu each winter.

Constant expectations of economic growth are unrealistic let alone compatible with environmental concerns. We are doomed.
    I was speaking to my cousin who lives in Trumpland recently and there is no sign of the rampant conspicuous consumption slowing down there. Heck he’s just bought a new 6.6 litre V8 pickup for towing his modded off road Jeep / snowmobile / jet ski for his one day off a week. That’s in addition to his wife’s pickup, his Stingray and an Indian motorcycle.

Guys at work can’t even be arsed to use the multiple recycling bins we all have now. I can’t offer any solutions because the one thing you can be sure of in this world is people’s laziness. And that will always hamper change.

Comment

Hmmm... okay just very quick thoughts that are too general to be helpful but at least give some idea of where I land. Firstly, economic growth is killing us. That idea that it needs to grow is utterly ridiculous, is flawed and has always been flawed for the very reason you suggest but even on a small scale. Growth for the sake of growth is cancer. It should be struck off as any kind of benchmark and the entirety of our economic systems should be rebuilt from the ground up because they all stem from industrial revolution days, so are no longer relevant, and have been twisted and corrupted since then (selling debt, betting on currencies falling etc.). Get rid of it and instead build new systems focused on human wellbeing.

When you do that, the second point starts to become less of an issue or at least as far as my own understanding is coming around to. I always took the overpopulation thing for granted as a problem and there are certainly scientists who have warned for many decades about it. And yet I’m seeing more recently suggesting that it’s not really the problem. The problem is what some are trying to face right now - how we use the resources, the forms it takes, the energy we harness and the food we eat. I honestly don’t know enough about it but I have seen many make the case that it’s not that there are too many humans for the resources we have. It’s that we’re absolutely abusing the resources and have for more than a century. So no, we shouldn’t need a cull and that’s a very dangerous road to even consider.

It’s really the Thanos thing. Not enough resources so he wants to wipe out half of all life but, as many realised just watching the movies, if he had that power then couldn’t he just double the resources? You only really jump to a cull if you’re on a comic book level.
      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 01-02-2020, 09:48.

Comment

Working...
      X