• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 122: Red Steel

History in Games:
    2006 - Red Steel
    2010 - Red Steel 2

Overview:
    Launching alongside Nintendo's Wii, this FPS was a hybrid attempt to make use of the motion controls built into the systems controller which led Ubisoft down the path of having the weaponry cross between gunplay and sword fights. By carrying out varying actions with the controller players could swing their sword using varying attacks and defence moves as they cut through room after room of enemies. The sequel took a sharp step away from the original in all but name by changing to cel-shading, adopting the motion controller plus for more accurate and varied commands as well as changing the entire aesthetic and set up for the series. Neither game made much of an impact though in the Wii's casual orientated market and due to the control system neither were suited to being ported to other formats leading to the games to remain locked to the host format. The second game though does have its fans leaving the series as a quiet moment in Ubisoft history but an interesting curio.

Share your thoughts and memories of clashing blades in Red Steel

I thought the swordplay in the second one was fantastic at the time; definitely gave an idea of what future VR swordplay games would be like (such as the Star Wars ones).

The only problem was that it was quite arduous to play. It was essentially an FPS Devil May Cry where you had to swing your arms for every attack. Honestly it was quite exhausting!

Comment

I barely have much memory of the original which seems odd as it being one of the first experiences of playing the Wii would leave you thinking it would make a stronger impression which likely speaks volumes of how forgettable a game it was. I remember being surprised there'd be a sequel and it was definitely the better of the two games though it seemed to be a very rigid experience outside of the central combat itself, something the Wii always seemed to struggle with where the inclusion of motion controls often led to compromises elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
      X