Rock 'n Roll Racing
    Pocky Rocky/Kiki KaiKai *SERIES*
    Turtles in Time
    Cybernator
    Actraiser *SERIES*

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post

Ah man, it was hard to leave these out: F-Zero, Contra III,
      I still play them regularly, so they're easy choices for me. Such brilliant games that stand the test of time really well.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      This one’s easy. Easy, easy, easy:

1. Super Mario World - the finest piece of code ever created
      2. Street Fighter II Turbo - might’ve been eclipsed by the likes of 3S and MotW, but this was the other finest piece of code ever created
      3. Super Mario Kart - the finest multiplayer experience ever created

6. Zelda: LttP - the finest Zelda blah blah blah
      Yeah, SMW is platforming perfection. I never get bored of going through it -- such sublime gameplay.

I remember playing SF2T for years and years. It's such a well-crafted game in all areas -- and a joy to play. Such a nice upgrade over the original game that did wonders with the SNES tech.

I've never been a fan of RPG/Adventure games, but I really liked Link to the Past. Love the beautiful graphics, magical music, and the really fun gameplay.

I pity those who put Final Fight in the list... The poor sods who had to make do with a missing character, a missing level, and, worst of all, single player only.
      As much as I can agree that it should have been much better, it at least seemed like a nice version of the game after the terrible Amiga port. It was an early game on an 8mb cart, so could have been quite a bit better with better coding and more space.

Final Fight 2 & 3, which can be chosen, highlight how Capcom managed to use the tech better after a while. If only they'd released a much better special edition of the original Final Fight later on, as I'm sure it would have been far more satisfying.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      1) Super Castlevania IV

2) Mario IV

3) Super Metroid

4) F- Zero

5) Super R Type

6) Pilotwings
      They all stand up really well. CV4 is easily my favourite game in the series. F-Zero never gets old. Pilotwings may be a bit clunky, but I still enjoy going back to it -- the jazzy music is great.

Originally posted by beecee View Post

Top 6
      Castlevania IV
      Zelda: Link to the Past
      Axelay
      Star Fox
      Contra III
      Super Metroid
      Axelay is such a great shooter, I love everything about it. But it does seem to be quite a 'marmite' game, so some shooter fans think it's great and others don't get the hype.

It's great how Star Fox manages to stand the test of time really well. The clean graphics are full of charm, the excellent music is unforgettable, and it's a joy to play.

Originally posted by beecee View Post
      Actraiser *SERIES*
      I remember being so disappointed with ActRaiser 2 that I've felt strong negativity towards it ever since. So I decided against including it in this topic. I don't think it deserves 'best of the best' status.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-02-2020, 10:40.

Comment

I always use Haggar, hate the industrial level and find that a co-op partner gets in the way more than they help, so the SNES port is fine for me.

Comment

-Super Mario World
          -Yoshi's Island
          -Donkey Kong Country series
          -Super Mario RPG
          -Zelda: A Link to the Past
          -Stunt Race FX

Comment

TThe Mega CD as a system might get derided for its FMV titles and piss-poor MegaDrive ports, but back in the day I was lucky enough (depending on your opinion of the console) to own one and got to experience its vastly superior port of FF.
            Sorry, Most Mega CD ports were far superior to their MD counterparts (even if was just sound) . Also there was more to the Mega CD than 'some' FMV games. I would say MS DOS CD-Rom and the CD-i were more for FMV systems.

I quite liked most of the MS-Dos FMV games truth be told.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
              I always use Haggar, hate the industrial level and find that a co-op partner gets in the way more than they help, so the SNES port is fine for me.
              I remember liking the SNES port, but I can see why it has quite a bad rep. The game suffered from bad coding that didn't take proper advantage of the hardware, and should have been on a 16mb cart. It really suffered from being an early release. Final Fight 2 & 3 show how Capcom managed to do better things with the tech and a larger ROM size later on.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              -Stunt Race FX
              I knew that would come up, but I really don't like it. I wanted to like it after Mario Kart, but the terrible frame rate and overall clunkiness was too severe. I did like the artistic design and some of the cool features, but the SNES and SFX chip couldn't do the concept proper justice. It's a big shame that Nintendo didn't create a more convincing N64 version.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-02-2020, 13:52.

Comment

It was always rough and has definitely aged beyond the point of being that playable but at the time it was just magical, more so than it got recognition for as it wasn't just pushing out 3D on the SNES but included so many design and effects that went beyond what it should have been delivering.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  It was always rough and has definitely aged beyond the point of being that playable
                  It's not a case of me not accepting a low frame-rate and clunkiness in an old 3D game, because I still think Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga feels good and plays well.

I clearly remember being shocked at Stunt Race FX running in a small window and feeling so clunky to play. Of course, the aesthetic design and all the details are nice, but I couldn't get past how it badly it ran. Super Mario Kart may have been far less technically advanced, but at least it ran fast and smooth. So as a fan of SMK, I felt quite gutted about what Nintendo presented gameplay wise with Stunt Race FX.

So as much as some people say they managed to get lots of fun out of it, it's a game I didn't enjoy playing at all. I'd much rather play SMK, Top Racer, or even Street Racer.

I really wish Nintendo had continued the Stunt Race franchise with games that did the concept justice on more appropriate hardware. I can see why people say it's a charming game, but it really needed a better 3D chip to make the game feel reasonably smooth to play.

Comment

Here are my 6 faves:

F-Zero - I've been playing it for nearly 30 years and I still like everything about it. The colourful graphics, stirring music, and slick gameplay always grab me and make me want more and more.

Contra III - Another SNES game that I go back to regularly; I never get bored of the well-crafted run-'n-gun action. The music is absolutely brilliant, the graphics eye-poppingly attractive, and the gameplay silky smooth. A true AAA game that stands the test of time perfectly.

Castlevania IV - I sometimes think "Have I had enough of this?", but then I go back to it and once again become hypnotised by its charms. The eerie graphics, haunting music, and excellent design never fail to impress me and make me want to complete it again. A golden masterpiece.

Axelay - Some people don't get the hype, but those that love it think the graphics are not only stunning but also brilliantly crafted. The bosses, in particular, are all memorable and a joy to face off against. Then you have the inspiring soundtrack that delivers some of the best tunes ever composed for the machine. One of many AAA Konami games that really showed off the tech inside the SNES.

Super Mario Kart - The franchise may have been updated many times with all sorts of bells & whistles, but the purity of the go-karting action keeps the original game relevant. It's still a joy to zip around the tight tracks trying to get better and better times. The graphics and music are full of Nintendo charm, so the overall package delivers an experience that still feels enjoyable.

Star Fox - You'd think that a 27 year old 3D game running on a SNES(albeit with a Super FX chip) would be too archaic to be playable in a modern context, but Star Fox manages to defy the passage of time and still feel immensely fun to play. The graphics, while very basic, have a slick charming style that still looks very effective. This is backed up with brilliant orchestral tunes that suit the action perfectly, and clever game design that keeps the action flowing and feeling nothing less than exciting throughout. People talk about "Nintendo magic" and this games has it in spades.

All the games on the list are what I'd consider to be the 'best of the best', but these stand out as something extra special.

Honourable mentions must go to: Super Mario World(platforming perfection); The Goemon series(brilliant creations); Plok(a joyous platformer); Donkey Kong Country(a well-crafted platformer that's full of fun)

I could go on and on about all the great games listed.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-02-2020, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

Castlevania IV - I sometimes think "Have I had enough of this?", but then I go back to it and once again become hypnotised by its charms. The eerie graphics, haunting music, and excellent design never fail to impress me and make me want to complete it again. A golden masterpiece.
                      Spot on, It's my fav 16-bit Platformer. I don't think any entry the as ever come close. Its perfection and what I really loved about this game was how with each new level the gfx and gameplay just got better and better and where you couldn't wait to get to the next stage to see what the developers had planned next.

The music is something else too. This game and also Ghost N Ghouls on the MD are games I keep going back too every year for a playthrough and love it.

Comment

Spot on, It's my fav 16-bit Platformer. I don't think any entry the as ever come close. Its perfection and what I really loved about this game was how with each new level the gfx and gameplay just got better and better and where you couldn't wait to get to the next stage to see what the developers had planned next.
                        I also love the way the character feels and how you can swing the whip around. It just feels more dynamic and satisfying than other CV games. I like how the artists went for a very grimy, eerie look that really captures a feeling of death and decay. You don't get that with other games in the series. All of that together with the haunting music really captures the imagination and makes you want to experience the game again and again.

It's interesting how so many early SNES games delivered such special graphics and music. They set the bar really high and lots of later SNES games failed to match them. There's a huge divide between the best SNES graphics and music and what you get in all the sub par games.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-02-2020, 12:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          I also love the way the character feels and how you can swing the whip around. It just feels more dynamic and satisfying than other CV games. I like how the artists went for a very grimy, eerie look that really captures a feeling of death and decay. You don't get that with other games in the series. All of that together with the haunting music really captures the imagination and makes you want to experience the game again and again.

It's interesting how so many early SNES games delivered such special graphics and music. They set the bar really high and lots of later SNES games failed to match them. There's a huge divide between the best SNES graphics and music and what you get in all the sub par games.
                          The game is just perfection. I never really had much of an issue with latter Snes games for music. I also thought the SNES was such a better system for music compared to the Mega Drive. It just seemed developers were really able to push the MD more, for GFX/Effects, while Mode 7 effects got a bit stale.

F-Zero is another Snes game that will never age and I still love to play. Going back to Mario Kart on the Snes is hard these days mind, that's really aged. Its a shame more people don't talk of Axelay too, that game looks so beautiful, sounds so incredible; The 2D sections are of Neo Geo quality and I love the fab use of Mode 7 on the ED 209 boss. That's how you should use Mode 7, not in your face, but a subtle effect

Comment

I totally disagree with the notion that SMK has aged. In fact I don’t feel that any subsequent releases in the series have ever met the near-perfection of the original.

I’m sure we’ve had this debate once before...

Comment

The game is just perfection. I never really had much of an issue with latter Snes games for music. I also thought the SNES was such a better system for music compared to the Mega Drive.
                              I just think of how excellent the music in ActRaiser, Contra III and Castlevania IV is, and then I remember a lot of later[92 onwards] games had much weaker music. Some SNES games have such lame sounding music that you'd think something's gone wrong with the machine.

Of course, there are plenty of SNES games made after '92 that have really nice music, such as Plok and Donkey Kong Country. The underwater levels in DKC have incredible music for a 16-bit machine. Square did wonders with the music in all of their RPGs.

F-Zero is another Snes game that will never age and I still love to play.
                              I still think F-Zero is perfect in all areas. It's such a thrill to play through on harder difficulty levels. The very abstract graphics stand the test of time well and have a cool retro vibe. I'm still stunned by how good the tunes are.

Going back to Mario Kart on the Snes is hard these days mind, that's really aged.
                              I just see it as a really nice little go-karting game that's full of charm. Lots of people say it doesn't play well these days, but I think it feels just as good as it ever did. Maybe I'm just such a fan of the game that nostalgia helps boost its appeal in the modern era, but I genuinely enjoy going back to it regularly. It's still one of my fave retro games.

Its a shame more people don't talk of Axelay too, that game looks so beautiful, sounds so incredible; The 2D sections are of Neo Geo quality and I love the fab use of Mode 7 on the ED 209 boss. That's how you should use Mode 7, not in your face, but a subtle effect
                              Yeah, the developer was very clever with how they designed the game to make good use of Mode 7. I see it as an expertly designed game in all areas -- from the interesting level designs, to the creative bosses and the all the brilliant tunes that really boost the atmosphere. It's easily one of my all-time favourite shooters.

I’m sure we’ve had this debate once before...
                              We've had the debate many times.

I always express how much I still really enjoy playing it -- and how I think it feels much more like a pure karting game than latter titles that became more straightforward racers. The narrow windy tracks in SMK create a very authentic go-karting vibe.

I can sort of see why some people say it's all a bit 'clunky' by today's standards, but I still find it very enjoyable to play. I'm a fan of Mario Kart 8, but I also play SMK for its unique qualities that still make it a fun racer.

Comment

I didn't have my SNES for very long so only had a few games, easily the best though was Rock n Roll Racing, great gameplay and the music was ace.
                                Also thought the commentary was good as well, an all round belter which I could complete on the highest difficulty.

It also makes my all time top ten as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X