Retro Arena: SNES Best of the Best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anpanman View Post
    I didn't have my SNES for very long so only had a few games, easily the best though was Rock n Roll Racing, great gameplay and the music was ace.
    Also thought the commentary was good as well, an all round belter which I could complete on the highest difficulty.
    I have really fond memories of how special it felt back in the day. As you say, the music and commentary were really good, and it played well. I remember how the audio side of things really impressed friends and family, and helped to make the game really memorable. The isometric graphic style may have felt a bit basic next to all the pseudo 3D games on the machine, but it worked well and the gameplay was smooth and satisfying.

A classic game that I enjoy going back to every few years. The guy who did the commentary did a great job.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 10-02-2020, 21:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I just think of how excellent the music in ActRaiser, Contra III and Castlevania IV is, and then I remember a lot of later[92 onwards] games had much weaker music. Some SNES games have such lame sounding music that you'd think something's gone wrong with the machine. cared.
      I can't say I read noticed that. To me, SNES games sounded better than most MD games.

I just see it as a really nice little go-karting game that's full of charm. Lots of people say it doesn't play well these days
      It looks so basic, flat and old now. I just prefer Mario Kart 64.

Yeah, the developer was very clever with how they designed the game to make good use of Mode 7. I see it as an expertly designed game in all areas -- from the interesting level designs, to the creative bosses and the all the brilliant tunes that really boost the atmosphere. It's easily one of my all-time favourite shooters
      It's one of the best shooters ever made. I don't get why it doesn't get more credit Bit of a shame Konami never made a sequel to it, but I don't think it sold well sadly .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        I can't say I read noticed that. To me, SNES games sounded better than most MD games.
        I'm just saying that lots of the early music is amazingly high quality and better than a lot of the later stuff. The music in ActRaiser is a million times better than the bland music in a lot of SNES games.

When it comes to the SNES vs MD in the audio department, games like F-Zero, ActRaiser and Castlevania IV really show off the SNES' strong points. Then you have MD games like the Sonic series, Streets of Rage 2, and many shoot 'em ups that show off how synthy and capable the MD sound chip is. Both machines have a very mixed bag when it comes to quality music.

Made me remember that the music in Mr. Nutz is really nice. A simple but really polished game.

It looks so basic, flat and old now. I just prefer Mario Kart 64.
        I prefer the way SMK plays, but of course, the graphics in MK64 are proper 3D. I can see why you say SMK looks flat, but it doesn't bother. me. It's a game that divides opinion these days -- some people still love it, others can't go back to it after playing all the proper 3D games.

It's one of the best shooters ever made. I don't get why it doesn't get more credit Bit of a shame Konami never made a sequel to it, but I don't think it sold well sadly .
        Some people really dislike the mode effects that are meant to create a feeling of 3D in the environments. They say it looks weird.

Then you have people who really appreciate the overall design -- from the well-crafted graphics, to the excellent music. The game definitely has a lot of fans. I remember loads of people thought the graphics were stunning back in the day.

I read that some(or maybe all) of the people behind Axelay went on to form Treasure. I think they also worked on CV4 and Contra III, so Konami didn't bother with sequels once they had moved on.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-02-2020, 12:30.

Comment

That's an amazing line-up of games.

Picking 6 is hard ... I suppose my top 3 might always be the same ...

1. Super Mario World - Game came bundled with the system. I wasn't bothered about it until I gave it a go. Without doubt the game that changed me from a casual hobbyist ... for better and worse

2. Street Fighter II Turbo - The best mates-round-a-tv game ever (though Goldeneye comes close). Happy days (apart from the odd broken shoulder button).

3. F-Zero - The game that made me buy a console I really wasn't bothered about. I saw it running and walked straight to a cash point. System seller in full effect.

... with 4-6 changing any given day ... but I'll go for;

4. Zelda LTTP - The first time I'd played a game with that kind of depth.

5. Super Metroid - Played it many times but never got to the end (always get stuck late on ).

6. Super Tennis - I love a bit of 2-P tennis action and this is one of the best.

Comment

Leon you missed out on "Turtles Tournament Fighters" by Konami, lucky number 7 [seven] I am afraid...should have been added as a bonus game Konami's own take on the SFII "Hyper Acceleration" of fighting games during the 16-bit era.

You should do one for Sega Genesis and Eternal Champions as progenitor as well. You have the skills and artistry...

Last edited by CAPCOM; 12-02-2020, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              That's an amazing line-up of games.
              Yeah, a nice showcase of some of the machine's best games.

1. Super Mario World - Game came bundled with the system. I wasn't bothered about it until I gave it a go. Without doubt the game that changed me from a casual hobbyist ... for better and worse
              Yeah, such a special game that really grabbed people and once again highlighted how special Nintendo is. A solid gold classic that stands the test of time perfectly.

2. Street Fighter II Turbo - The best mates-round-a-tv game ever (though Goldeneye comes close). Happy days (apart from the odd broken shoulder button).
              I remember liking the standard SF2, but Turbo edition felt so much better. I also spent years having tournaments with friends and family. Great days.

3. F-Zero - The game that made me buy a console I really wasn't bothered about. I saw it running and walked straight to a cash point. System seller in full effect.
              I first saw it in an import shop -- and it looked absolutely amazing. I remember immediately noticing how funky and high quality the music was, so the whole experience felt magical.

6. Super Tennis - I love a bit of 2-P tennis action and this is one of the best.
              I've always enjoyed Super Tennis. Its charming graphics always put a smile on my face, and the gameplay is nuanced enough to make things competitive and fun. There were plenty of tennis games back in the day, but Super Tennis was my favourite throughout the '90s. It should have been on the SNES Mini.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPCOM View Post
                Leon you missed out on "Turtles Tournament Fighters" by Konami, lucky number 7 [seven] I am afraid...should have been added as a bonus game Konami's own take on the SFII "Hyper Acceleration" of fighting games during the 16-bit era.
                I considered Turtles Tournament Fighters, but it didn't make the final cut. Turtles in Time was a big hit and people have always talked about how much they like it, but Tournament Fighters hasn't ever got the same degree of praise. So even though it's a very good game, I don't think it qualifies for 'Best of the Best' status.

Of course, the list has a somewhat personal touch, so other people might compile a somewhat different list. I included lots of mainstream classics and also some gems that enthusiasts recognise as being top quality.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-02-2020, 16:24.

Comment

Working...
                X